Tait

"New Posts" Option Trial

Listening to feedback people would like a "New Posts" button. I've added this option to the "Activity" menu and called it "New Posts". We'll try it for a week and if it garners positive feedback we'll leave it in place. Hopefully, it helps!

image.png.4cc99b6d332cb107b20b5f5bd685156f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just seen this.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Not doing it for me

@Tait Maybe it is a question of semantics

The search I want is: "Threads with unread content"

then within that "go to first unread"

I consider this to be the default for all forums, the cause of most of your issues and the reason "we all bitchin'"

• Like 1

@grumpydaddy

I've been unable to get that functionality. I know what you mean. I will try and build a module locally to do that when I can book out some time.

In the meantime on the home page in the right sidebar, I've increased Topics to view 10 and that's a bit closer.

Hopefully, I can add what you're expecting soon but meanwhile, I hope the New Posts button will help others.

• Like 1

Working for me on my phone @Tait :D

LR, ZM

Posted (edited)

While it’s an improvement,,,it’s still showing duplicated threads.

justa for instance,,,Mildred’s bar towels (lovely bar towels) it only needs to be featured once, not multiple times for every single post that’s been made.

imagine the word game gets played a lot, then everything else will be driven onto pages 3 and 4.

Also, default should be newest first ? 

nearly there though.

would like to see the icon for what threads you’ve posted in as opposed to those you haven’t being more prominent as it’s not that easy to tell the difference between on a smaller screen

EC988612-666C-490A-92FB-B88C5BDCB4E9.jpeg

F1A4FD7A-7AB7-40FD-93D6-FEE342960915.png

Edited by Jumbo Ratty
Photos didn’t attach
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Tait Ha, I hope you can. I joined invision community to search for info only to find very limited access to resources unless you pay.

what is it now, 3 weeks since the "upgrade"?

Whilst I understand the reasoning I am still not convinced it has the basic features required by this forum. It has a shed load of other stuff, just not what we need

Edited by grumpydaddy
  • Like 1

The"New Posts" stream does seem to be free of duplicated posts for me, or perhaps , between the time I last looked at treads and having found this option, no thread had more than one posts in it.

I just checked, and the other forum I use a lot (not coffee related) seems to look almost identical, so guess it's the same version (both are Invision).  The similar (possibly the same) stream over on that forum does deliver the result of - one entry per thread irrespective of the number of posts since last read. I think that's the outcome that many of us want/like so I'll assume it is working ere also. When upgrades have been done on that other forum, there are sometimes many weeks of disruption, old features cease to work despite supposedly still being there, new features don't work as planned etc, despite the frustration it causes to the users it's noting compared to that for the people trying to get it resolved.

I have only just spotted the replies to this thread - via the sidebar. I like the 10 Topic posts shown there, maybe make it 10 Posts too @Tait

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, AndyDClements said:

The"New Posts" stream does seem to be free of duplicated posts for me, or perhaps , between the time I last looked at treads and having found this option, no thread had more than one posts in it.

I get this...lots and lots of Bar Towels...no offence Mildred. I am sorting it after using the new feature to get newest first....perhaps that's causing it?

image.thumb.png.2f10ad84cc30b15103f22376440f6f51.png

Edited by DavecUK

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Can’t you block me 😂 😂 

• Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I get this...lots and lots of Bar Towels...no offence Mildred. I am sorting it after using the new feature to get newest first....perhaps that's causing it?
image.thumb.png.2f10ad84cc30b15103f22376440f6f51.png

Looks like you're subscribed to that topic so perhaps it's showing more. I'll pick apart the code later when I'm home and see what logic goes in there.

I'm going to try and find a module or build something to show threads which you can click on and get oldest first.

Is it just me , the forum seems to have more content about forum software and little software niggles than any coffee or coffee related items .. At least the bar towel thread is coffee related 😂 .. The forum is up and running .. Could not these little personal problems be dealt with by PM to admin ..

• Like 3

No I haven't subscribed to that topic or any other topics. I only ignore topics BB for readability (or used to when it was available).

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

2 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Is it just me , the forum seems to have more content about forum software and little software niggles than any coffee or coffee related items .. At least the bar towel thread is coffee related 😂 .. The forum is up and running .. Could not these little personal problems be dealt with by PM to admin ..

What you mean have everything done independently with no one able to see issues or problems others are experiencing. Not able to offer solutions, see offered solutions, or know the Devs are responding/working on stuff.

This is because they are personal problems, you don't have them, so they shouldn't be in a thread? What a pity the ignore thread option went, if it was still there you could have put the thread on ignore... ironic really ;)

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

What you mean have everything done independently with no one able to see issues or problems others are experiencing. Not able to offer solutions, see offered solutions, or know the Devs are responding/working on stuff.

This is because they are personal problems, you don't have them, so they shouldn't be in a thread? What a pity the ignore thread option went, if it was still there you could have put the thread on ignore... ironic really ;)

And I would .. but  I can scroll quite quickly past stuff  I don’t want to read and ignore it , so no big issue for me .. 

You are very grumpy recently .. I’m off to look at the bar towel thread ..

• Like 2

Looks promising,. I can't see any thread duplication but that may be because there has been only one reply to threads shown.  thanks for this.

Gaggia Classic (2006), Eureka Mignon MK2

7 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

And I would .. but  I can scroll quite quickly past stuff  I don’t want to read and ignore it , so no big issue for me .. 

You are very grumpy recently .. I’m off to look at the bar towel thread ..

If it's no big issue why do you want it all on pm? If writing stuff you don't want to read makes you perceive me as grumpy, there's nothing I can do about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've reviewed the old functionality a bit and tweaked this to be closer. Please let me my how you get on, still will show multiple posts from same thread but will just be since last visit.

I can now see thread duplication when using the "new posts" option, the first three items are for the same topic.

It was working perfectly for me initially, however there's the multiple posts are showing now again

LR, ZM

On 02/06/2019 at 12:27, DavecUK said:

If it helps, you can follow threads and then view them only as a sort of White List instead of a Black List.

Life on the forum has become much much more involved unfortunately.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith