eSysman

New member, new machine (Expobar Pico) issues

Hi all,

First post on this forum. I have just picked up a used Expobar Pico. Was 3 years old best I can tell and a bit dirty when it arrived but I've cleaned it up and it looks great now. Everything seems to be working, boiler heats up nicely etc.

The issues I am having are as follows?

When I put the porta filter in the gp head (no coffee) and press 1 short coffee, I get the exact amount (30ml) after programming it as such. However when there is coffee in the porta filter I only get half that amount. I have to press the button twice to get the right amount of water to go through. 

When I pull a shot the water goes very fast into the cup, maybe 5 seconds. There is no crema etc. I have just tested the pressure with a pressure gauge I bought today and it says approx 12 bar. I did note that when testing the pressure there was a small amount of water leaking out of the join of the porta filter and group head. (new basket and seal needed?)

What should the pressure be? I saw a video that said 10 bar is this correct?

Does anyone have or know where I can get an operating manual or any manual of this machine?

Welcome,

I know nothing of this machine so forgive my ignorance. Regarding your first issue, surely some water is just being absorbed by the ground coffee and you just need to set for more water to pass through the puck?

Are you using pre-ground? If not tighten the grind up to slow the flow. 

Just a new group head seal to begin with regarding the leak

9 bar is an oft quoted pressure.

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Thanks for the response. I'll try to re-program to account for the coffee, good idea.

The machine has a built in grinder so I'm using this, I have it on a fine setting already, maybe 4 from maximum fine. The coffee looks fine when I test how it's grinding. 

The coffee has no crema at all, pure black, any ideas why this would be?

6 hours ago, eSysman said:

Probably bean related 

1) grind

2) bean freshness and type

9 hours ago, eSysman said:

Thanks for the response. I'll try to re-program to account for the coffee, good idea.

The machine has a built in grinder so I'm using this, I have it on a fine setting already, maybe 4 from maximum fine. The coffee looks fine when I test how it's grinding. 

I don’t think that’s bean nor freshness.

Pouring in <5 seconds it’s just not extracting enough. 

What is your prep after you grind?

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

1 hour ago, igm45 said:

I don’t think that’s bean nor freshness.

Pouring in <5 seconds it’s just not extracting enough. 

What is your prep after you grind?

But thst may be dowm to the freshness of the bean... 

Stale beans pour quick. 

We need dose weight, in what basket and grind. 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Just now, Mrboots2u said:

But thst may be dowm to the freshness of the bean... 

I admit I haven’t used a bean that hasn’t been rested for at least a couple of days, but pure black? Do you really think that explains it?

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. 

I managed to get to the bottom of the issues. I bought a used machine with no instructions. So I had to calibrate the grinder and reduce the pressure. Now I have done these things it's pouring as perfectly as I can get it. Rich crema and a great drink. Grind was way off, so water was just pouring through. Once I set that and after reducing the extract pressure it was fine. 

• Like 2