igm45

Vesuvius review - function over form

7 minutes ago, igm45 said:

Profile 2 = constant 2 bar. Profile 3 = constant 6 bar. Profile 4 = constant 9 bar.

Set profile 2, start the shot, wait for 1st drip in cup, stop shot.

Set profile 3 (or 4 dependent on roast level) start shot. Wait for desired weight, stop the shot, enjoy

Bianca is a a it cheaper if your gonna use the V that way. I used to bye, I just found it a slightly strustrating way to achieve on the fly adjustments 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

7 minutes ago, igm45 said:

Profile 2 = constant 2 bar. Profile 3 = constant 6 bar. Profile 4 = constant 9 bar.

Set profile 2, start the shot, wait for 1st drip in cup, stop shot.

Set profile 3 (or 4 dependent on roast level) start shot. Wait for desired weight, stop the shot, enjoy

Bianca is a a it cheaper if your gonna use the V that way. I used to bye, I just found it a slightly strustrating way to achieve on the fly adjustments 

Instagram - rjw_inc

4 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

I don’t doubt it is a workaround.

I realise the Bianca can do that, for me the V’s strength still remains in its flexibility. It can do that and it can repeat a complex pressure profile with the flick of a lever whilst you prepare milk (or biscuits, or cake, God I love food)

• Like 2

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

Pro tip: I always raise the lever just before the pump stops and add a couple of seconds to the last phase of the profiles to cater for this.

This is what I use all the time, lever profile, aim to stop shot at 44s but programmed for 52 seconds.

No soggy pucks- dry as a bone.

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

1 hour ago, kennyboy993 said:

How do you change to another pressure mid-shot img?

It is surprisingly simple: start the shot with profile X as you normally would - and then just tap the display (bottom-righthand corner) to select the profile you want to switch to.

(You even can tap the display in advance and still start with the first preset profile.)

For example a Slayer-style shot:

Put a 90sec 2 Bar on profile 1. (Or 7 steps of 90 sec 2 Bar, doesn't matter for the example).

Put some 90sec 8Bar steps in profile 2.

Select profile 1, start the shot, tap the display (bottom-righthand corner) and when the coffee starts to be visible select profile 2. 

(If you want you can even switch back to profile 1 at the end).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tohenk2 said:

It is surprisingly simple: start the shot with profile X as you normally would - and then just tap the display (bottom-righthand corner) to select the profile you want to switch to.

(You even can tap the display in advance and still start with the first preset profile.)

For example a Slayer-style shot:

Put a 90sec 2 Bar on profile 1. (Or 7 steps of 90 sec 2 Bar, doesn't matter for the example).

Put some 90sec 8Bar steps in profile 2.

Select profile 1, start the shot, tap the display (bottom-righthand corner) and when the coffee starts to be visible select profile 2. 

(If you want you can even switch back to profile 1 at the end).

Being pedantic here. But the water debit for a slayer pre infusion or needle valve is signifantly less than a V at 2 bar. 

Getting into the flow v pressure profile debate and you can argue they achieve no different results in the cup but mechanically are doing different things to the puck over those  seconds. 

Somewhere on my V thread I measured the lowest water, debit I got. I had changed the jet at this point too. 

I couldn't get it near the 1.5 ml a second flow of the slayer. 

• Like 1

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

Being pedantic here. But the water debit for a slayer pre infusion or needle valve is signifantly less than a V at 2 bar. 

Getting into the flow v pressure profile debate and you can argue they achieve no different results in the cup but mechanically are doing different things to the puck over those  seconds. 

Somewhere on my V thread I measured the lowest water, debit I got. I had changed the jet at this point too. 

Thanks, I have never measured the debit of either. (But then again, I think the "style" is the same, if not the actual precise quantities?)

3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

How exactly did you measure the debit?

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

23 hours ago, DavecUK said:

On any declining pressure profile, there is the potential for soggy pucks and especially if you let the pump stop...then raise the lever to depressurise the basket (I am sure you probably do this most of the time). Doing this doesn't properly vent the basket (physics).

Pro tip: I always raise the lever just before the pump stops and add a couple of seconds to the last phase of the profiles to cater for this.

Many thanks @DavecUK I always stop the shot short of the profile, something I found out in the early stages of getting the ‘V’ but I will try raising the pressure at the tail end as that makes a lot of sense. I suppose because I’m getting such a great flavour I’ve just excepted it...always good to have a play with the ‘V’ though! GREAT MACHINE 👍

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

I'm still interested in how the minimum water debit figures were measured.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

On 01/06/2019 at 12:44, kennyboy993 said:

You probably have tried this Les - though for me soggy pucks went away when I went back to stock shower screen

Thanks @kennyboy993 I don’t have a stock screen as only came with IMS. I will try Dave’s suggestion and see how it goes. I did see you had changed on previous posts, could you not find remedy at all with the IMS?

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

Great review from a personal perspective. I want to see some pics of the new wood though.
What machine you running these days@planter?

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Currently using a mates LR as he is working in the middle East for a couple months and told me to try it. Gives me a chance to have a think on what I actually want. Still not got a clue but the LR is good and easy.

• Like 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Currently using a mates LR as he is working in the middle East for a couple months and told me to try it. Gives me a chance to have a think on what I actually want. Still not got a clue but the LR is good and easy.
So you may be able to answer@nicknak question...

In the cup how does the V lever profile compare to the real McCoys?

• Like 1

Thanks @kennyboy993 I don’t have a stock screen as only came with IMS. I will try Dave’s suggestion and see how it goes. I did see you had changed on previous posts, could you not find remedy at all with the IMS?

I couldn’t get going with it Les - it was easy to clear residual coffee though other than that it created soggy pucks and 80% of the time they stuck to screen.

Went back and all is good
  • Thanks 1

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Just out of interest what are people using as a lever profile now. 

Given the l1 profile is different to a lr profile etc etc. 

Instagram - rjw_inc

In all fairness not too badly at all. The V is a great machine for being able to manipulate or mimic what you want.

I'm not putting myself on a pedestal and saying I know everything there is to know but it worked well for me. And allowed me to experiment and learn more about what I did or didn't like as much.

The whole lever profile was always a preference for me. And I must admit it is nice and simple using a lever to get what you are after.

• Like 3

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

I couldn’t get going with it Les - it was easy to clear residual coffee though other than that it created soggy pucks and 80% of the time they stuck to screen.

Went back and all is good
I've avoided installing mine due to your findings.

To save me from giving it a go, when you were getting soggy pucks, was that after finishing at a low or high pressure?
  • Haha 1

I've avoided installing mine due to your findings.

To save me from giving it a go, when you were getting soggy pucks, was that after finishing at a low or high pressure?

Both matey - sometimes even when I overdosed too
  • Thanks 1

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Just now, kennyboy993 said:

Both matey - sometimes even when I overdosed too

Cheers, I shan’t bother then 👍

• Like 1

Just a quick follow up, 

This machine has really sold itself to me. Most of the time I find that I stick to the ‘X profile’ and that produces tasty shots.

Recently I had a bean that I just could not get a tasty shot on this profile, trial and error ensued. When all else failed I gave it a go with my take on a ‘traditional e61’ profile.

Wow, completely different taste, could scarcely believe it was the same bean. Really impressed! 👍

• Like 4

I once went into a bike shop wheel-in-hand trying not to swear at how tight a particular tyre/rim combination was, I had snapped levers and on one ride given up after 30 mins and called the team car (sic). The manager took a tyre off by hand and put it back on in front of me and it was a salutory lesson in technique.

With that contect all machines I had previously owned had a preferred personal technique and I have had 1, 2 and 3 hole steam tips. The Vesuvius 4 hold tip is the fastest I have ever used and I was aware of the criticism of the wand before buying. Cue DaveC calling in in my first week and 20 seconds later perfect milk. He should probably put up one of his typical videos as his approach has stood me in good stead ever since.

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

@igm45

I'm loving that new wood mate, very, very classy 👌🏼

I never put any steam through the steam a so it’s interesting that it has it limitations..

but on the whole I said at the time that I already thought I was drinking amazing coffee (from my ECM / Royal combo) but when I got the V and the Mythos I found out I was actually only drinking good coffee. Nice to see it’s working for you too 🙂

• Like 2