igm45

Vesuvius review - function over form

There are several people on this forum that have forgotten more about coffee than I’ll ever know, so the opening caveat is that this is a review from an ‘average User’

Having sold the Lelit and shifted stuff around in the kitchen to make space I headed off and collected the V.

Kitchen placement -

it was not love at first sight, and no it’s not because it’s black instead of shiny chrome. It’s just a bit, I’ll spit it out.....ugly. The light wood on the black machine was a complete no no (more on them later).

The Mara was a slim machine so it was going from one extreme to the other, but it’s bloody big too. No coffee that night as I was late home, felt a bit deflated 😞

Start fiddling -

Tank filled, machine heated, let’s see what this puppy can do. I start where no man has done so before, on the instruction manual!

Which on the whole is helpful, the eco mode section though, what??? Is the steam boiler on? Is it in eco mode if both are illuminated? At this stage I’ve got a bloody massive ugly machine that has unintuitive settings, should of got a bloody Sage and the orange screen.

Make some bloody coffee already -

Got some profiles set up, slap some coffee in, lift the lever...

The sound, or lack of, really quiet machine. Gear motor sounds completely different to any other coffee machines. I for one love it.

Obviously with a lever profile my pour is going to be perfect, er nope. Took a few attempts, tightened the grind before I got something vaguely resembling an espresso.

This is getting boring now, tell me if the coffee is any good-

Someone reading this tell me if they found on lever, or the V the pour looks a bit thinner?? I can’t articulate exactly what I mean, just that it hasn’t looked as ‘creamy/thick/light’ whilst pouring. Mouthfeel in the cup is just as good, purely an aesthetic thing.

Blimey it tastes good, everyone advocates that the grinder makes all the difference. To compare in TV terms the grinder takes it to HD, this machine makes it OLED 4K. There is depth and sweetness in the cup that I have never tasted. 

Getting steamy

She’s powerful, wet and steamy. There is no denying it, it is quite a wet steam. Certainly workable and you can get great ‘microbubblez’.

That said, it’s a finekecty wand setup. The wand itself is fine but the ball joint freedom is severely limited, meaning positioning your wand in the jug is a pita. I think, due to frequency of use, this is my most disliked feature of the V.

What’s ‘wrong with it’ (summary)...

- The supplied wood detail is cheap and ugly. That said super easy to remove and get a talented forum member (@nicknack) to make some high quality ones. This makes a huge difference to look and feel of the machine.

- It is big and not sexy. Sorry it’s just...not.

- The wand positioning is infuriating. Plus if you forget to get it warming from eco mode you have to wait for steam to be up to temp after pulling your shot.

- The drip tray is shallow and a bit weird (bit like me from the sound of this review!).

- The water tank is wired in and annoying to remove and clean.

What’s ‘right with it’ (summary)...

- It makes fantastic, amazing coffee (I suppose that’s all that really matters).

- Built in on/off timer.

- So flexible! You want hotter steam, you got it. You want lower brew temp, no problem. You want pressure profile to suit any style bean, no problem.

- Temperature stable, shot after shot.

Tell me what I need to know without reading all that bo****s above-

The Vesuvius is all about what’s in the cup. Function over form. It’ll make the best coffee you’ve ever drunk, just with a few niggles.

p.s does anyone else think of the Phil Collins song ‘Sussudio’ when they think of the word Vesuvius? No?

Just me then...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Just to add one positive and one negative...

The displayed shot timer, brilliant. I don’t have scales with a built in timer so this makes a huge difference.

On the L.H.S is a status bar for how full the water tank is, clearly just a screen filler... goes from full to empty instantly. That said the red screen empty tank warning is far superior to any audible alarm (in part because it doesn’t scare the dog).

• Like 2

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Great reading img - thanks

I share a lot of your views - especially the taste of the coffee bits!

Night and day isn’t it, and a new learning curve as most of what we read online re shot times, grind settings etc doesn’t apply.

For example I found it impossible to over extract! Amazing. Coffee I’ve never been able to get anything out of cannot beat this machine.

• Like 3

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

4 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

Night and day isn’t it, and a new learning curve as most of what we read online re shot times, grind settings etc doesn’t apply. 

Yes it really is, I suppose some parts of the review could seem a bit negative, but your quite right it is night and day.

I didn’t think a machine could have that much of a difference in the cup. 

Definitely still learning regarding shot times... I had a 1:2.5 shot on Wednesday that took 51 seconds. I thought this will be a sink shot, whilst it wasn’t the best the machine has produced it was better than most shots the ol’ Lelit made.

I must admit I found the shear size of it a bit daunting! Wife thought it looked like a coffee shop so it’s in my office. I personally love the look of it though :)

I’m quite amazed how you can vary the taste so much from one bean...very rarely a bad shot unless I’m messing about to see where it goes lol

The only problem I have at the moment is soggy pucks which is a pest when the taste is good ;)

• Like 2

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

What would be interesting to me is how often do the V V V Vesuvius owners change the profiles . ?

Do you have to dial in for different Profiles for the same bean ?

Is There a way to know what Profile suits a different bean , or is it practice practice ?

I did think of one of these when I bought my machine and it is one of two machines I would change mine for .

Need pictures on here ..

3 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

What would be interesting to me is how often do the V V V Vesuvius owners change the profiles . ?

Is There a way to know what Profile suits a different bean , or is it practice practice ?

I did think of one of these when I bought my machine and it is one of two machines I would change mine for .

Need pictures on here ..

I’m still quite new to it but have been experimenting with different profiles on Rave Fudge at the moment...so it’s practice practice for me 😊

• Like 1

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

Looks are … very subjective. The Londinium is in the same category for me as the Vesuvius for the outer design wise - functional, angular (and in my case shiny).

I remember "the angular era in automotive car design". It didn't stay. And the big frames of American car before that (La Marzocco Rondine?). Oh boy, what did I dislike the first (French) cars without chrome fenders sticking out.

Personally I usually like the designs that are a derivative from nature best. Luigi Collani designs like the Cannon T90.  

• Like 1

I must admit I found the shear size of it a bit daunting! Wife thought it looked like a coffee shop so it’s in my office. I personally love the look of it though
I’m quite amazed how you can vary the taste so much from one bean...very rarely a bad shot unless I’m messing about to see where it goes lol
The only problem I have at the moment is soggy pucks which is a pest when the taste is good

You probably have tried this Les - though for me soggy pucks went away when I went back to stock shower screen
  • Thanks 1

Live and Let Live

38 minutes ago, Les996 said:

I must admit I found the shear size of it a bit daunting! Wife thought it looked like a coffee shop so it’s in my office. I personally love the look of it though :)

The only problem I have at the moment is soggy pucks which is a pest when the taste is good ;)

On any declining pressure profile, there is the potential for soggy pucks and especially if you let the pump stop...then raise the lever to depressurise the basket (I am sure you probably do this most of the time). Doing this doesn't properly vent the basket (physics).

Pro tip: I always raise the lever just before the pump stops and add a couple of seconds to the last phase of the profiles to cater for this.

• Like 2

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Great review from a personal perspective. I want to see some pics of the new wood though.

• Like 2

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Taste and profiles: I don't nearly play around as much as I did a few years back. But - not  much is just that: I can and do change things from time tot time. 

It's just … a little while go I had a Huila SO bean (Medellin Secret microlot). Dialed it in, tweaked a bit on the Niche and the Vesuvius and got amazing coffee. I just don't change it then anymore because I like it so much. (Shots where so syrupy, ginger-y sweet that it was hardly coffee anymore. Extreme. I had trouble to stop making and drinking it, like 6 or more in 2 hours?)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

You probably have tried this Les - though for me soggy pucks went away when I went back to stock shower screen

You can also try a little bit more coffee and grind a bit coarser.

Edited by tohenk2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Need pictures on here ..

(Credit must go to @Obnic) I have found 2 bar pre-infusion, until first drips, followed by:

- flat 6 bar for light roasts

- flat 9 bar for dark roasts

has worked really well for both. Yet other beans respond really well to the x-profile.

• Like 3

@Nicknak more pictures then:

EE74532D-D42A-4490-B9D0-792A2DEBE2DF.thumb.jpeg.21d9d8072e4cb79acb509ef99a75dcad.jpeg

The instructions say when the steam but at the bottom is illuminated then the steam boiler is on, yet it also says to select eco steam button at the top to enable eco steam, do I need both illuminated? I guess...

8B28AA20-EA53-4F90-999E-93C969DD24C6.thumb.jpeg.73c27b9a557981c7f9bd2d7bac362203.jpegNice wood 

F80B1B8C-9263-4A0A-894F-96BCF3D786C2.thumb.jpeg.093bc69e795ac244448dfcc57a145393.jpeg

Limited steam arm movement 

• Haha 1

Great review from a personal perspective. I want to see some pics of the new wood though.
Here you are...

It truly is amazing20190601_131417.jpg20190601_131508.jpg20190601_131529.jpg20190601_131534.jpg20190601_131544.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The dark wood really suits the machine .. They look great on it ..😎... 

• Like 3

The dark wood really suits the machine .. They look great on it ..... 
Great work mate.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

The dark wood really suits the machine .. They look great on it ..... 
It's all on you
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, igm45 said:

It's all on you emoji144.pngemoji119.pngemoji122.png

Enough , enough 😂.. Back to the review 🤔.... Not really .. more more 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, igm45 said:

(Credit must go to @Obnic) I have found 2 bar pre-infusion, until first drips, followed by:

has worked really well for both. Yet other beans respond really well to the x-profile.

So I guess , you can try lots of different pressures all from the LCD screen instead of keep adjusting the OPV on a normal E61 ? 

Has anyone done/ tried a lever profile similar to an LR ?

A side by side would be interesting..

How do you change to another pressure mid-shot img?

Live and Let Live

1 minute ago, kennyboy993 said:

How do you change to another pressure mid-shot img?

Profile 2 = constant 2 bar. Profile 3 = constant 6 bar. Profile 4 = constant 9 bar.

Set profile 2, start the shot, wait for 1st drip in cup, stop shot.

Set profile 3 (or 4 dependent on roast level) start shot. Wait for desired weight, stop the shot, enjoy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

So I guess , you can try lots of different pressures all from the LCD screen instead of keep adjusting the OPV on a normal E61 ? 

Has anyone done/ tried a lever profile similar to an LR ?

Yep that’s where this machines strengths lie, plus you can decrease temp for dark roasts or increase for light roasts.

If people do ‘settle on one profile’ it seems to be lever profile. That’s what the x profile is based on. 

As for side by side I’ve never had a lever so can’t comment on how similar they taste.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

@coffeechap is your lever man, ever done one? Next forum day maybe?

• Like 1