joey24dirt

April 1979... La Pavoni europiccola hot chocolate edition.

Where do I start....

Well after the lever day I’ve had this urge to have my own. I’ve always wondered about lever machine, but since that day I’ve been on the hunt daily.

Finally one came up that looked like a perfect candidate for a mini refurb.

5e371da38505b82f09d392f3c87d98a7.jpg

The description was that it was working, but on its way back from its service, the box was dropped and the steam valve got kinked over, and so it was being sold as spares. I had fully prepared myself for a duff machine with the intent of doing whatever I could to bring it back to life.

Speaking to [mention=2844]coffeechap[/mention] about the machine, I found he was watching it too. So we worked out a bit of a deal between ourselves. He ended up getting the machine, and after a few tweaks and the seal of approval from Dave, it is now in my hands.

So after a knackering day of building decking (aka child saver) I thought I’d get the kids to bed and spend the evening with the Pavoni. I’d done some prep work and ordered up a group seal kit so I was ready to go.

I’ll admit in the excitement I didn’t take enough photos. So the strip and rebuild is pretty scarce.

Had some decent scale in there anyway when checked. Also the piston seals had firmed up, but not totally shot.

93142d4d0f41035471570d1d95a094fe.jpg

786c53bf0f85de7ab46bad80779e421d.jpg

So basically I used that severe formic acid descaler to get it all cleared out. Didn’t need long, only around 15 mins. Had to do it a couple of times to get the rest from the elements.

b7cd12bb3034f65b7e5ae6140d36a3f7.jpg

6e9060eb4f0882255dad3bbab69cfa91.jpg

Then I moved onto the group head and just gave the piston sleeve a quick scrub over with some fine wet and dry

d73a9ec345abac917be98617b0663daa.jpg

The piston had to receive the[mention=12284]jimbojohn55[/mention] treatment though. It was 11pm by then but I had to head down the workshop to fire up the buffing wheels. Would’ve been rude not to

fdbc1881181d54896a1b389d81f94fc3.jpg

New seals, bit of grease and new screen, and were ready to go back on.

af60dff20c7fd74e2e3999343dfefad5.jpg

What a beautiful machine these are. So proud to finally own one, and especially one that is as old as it it. As for the colour, I quite like how it looks. May just give it a buff up and keep the natural look. We will see.

60393de654ceb7b12b3aaa39270f5015.jpg

So after the mini refurb it fired up lovely and gets up to temp quicker than I imagined.

Time to make coffee.... oh crap.... I don’t have a tamper to fit. Me of all people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Congratulations 😁 what a beauty - and looking so hApPY after her refurb 😁 😁 

I have to admit to being a tad envious 🤔

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Congratulations what a beauty - and looking so hApPY after her refurb  
I have to admit to being a tad envious 

I think I’m more pleased about being able to navigate the forum to add the thread haha.

Fixing it is one thing, making the coffee is another haha

• Like 2

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

I think I’m more pleased about being able to navigate the forum to add the thread haha.

Fixing it is one thing, making the coffee is another haha

Ha!
Now up and running, it's only a matter of a tousand shots or so getting to grips with it

Congrats to this beaut mate
  • Like 1

Where do I start....

• Like 2

Ha!
Now up and running, it's only a matter of a tousand shots or so getting to grips with it

Congrats to this beaut mate

Thanks mate. I’m excited for sure. Just need to make a tamper tomorrow at some point if I get chance.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Loving the machine and the irony!

I look forward to hearing how you fare when you start brewing with it.

• Like 1

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

34 minutes ago, igm45 said:

Loving the machine and the irony!

I look forward to hearing how you fare when you start brewing with it.

Hopefully better than my other half has done with mine. First time using it and she burnt her arm.. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Ah ,I knew I had seen it before ,I had it on my watch list 😀...  well done and enjoy .... 

• Like 2

I was impressed with how good the chrome was on this machine, plus the minor declared damage was nothing  in the end. Enjoy getting to grips with the lovely peacock!

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

I was impressed with how good the chrome was on this machine, plus the minor declared damage was nothing  in the end. Enjoy getting to grips with the lovely peacock!
peacock, that's my cue!
can't wait to get a certain milk jug so there'll be funny la(tte) Pavoni art we can excel in. Maybe we should set up the [2019 la Peacock Lever Championship]...@MildredM ?!
  • Like 2

Well.... that was different.

b14e3802692aac4cd1edcb45f88a68d9.jpg

I’d be lying if I said I enjoyed it. Lots and lots of learning ahead of me.

• Like 6

@SkateReclaimCreate

noice!
did you also steam the milk with it?
Got great texture mate... how many holes in the tip?

• Like 1

noice!
did you also steam the milk with it?
Got great texture mate... how many holes in the tip?

Yeah the milk was done with this too. It was borderline to be honest. Not great and very lucky to get art.

I think it’s a 3-hole. I’ll have to check. I didn’t bring the thing back up to pressure after the shot so it might be better next time.

• Like 1

@SkateReclaimCreate

First Class Joey, love to see older machines restored and brought back to life! Best of luck with her!

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 10:20, joey24dirt said:

Can you now go add it all again in the Lever Forum please!

I have been looking all over for it to get my fix just now 🤔

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Can you now go add it all again in the Lever Forum please!
I have been looking all over for it to get my fix just now 

Oh what?! I’ve dumped it in the wrong place haha

• Like 1

@SkateReclaimCreate

Oh what?! I’ve dumped it in the wrong place haha

Oh go on then, if I must. I will take it off your hands !!

b11ed3f42f43dfedf98f1371ff5333c6.jpg

Well I’m smitten. Just had a little play about. Had the most lovely espresso followed up by a tasty flat white.

I learnt from my previous milk steaming attempt, and got myself way better results.

I definitely still need to refine my methods a little bit, but I’ll get there.

Clearly the Simonelli is feeling threatened, it decided to clog its waste line and it flooded the kitchen a little bit haha.

This machine is forcing me to think about what kit I have at home now. Do I dare let me big stuff go?!

This beautiful little thing, teamed up with the niche is producing coffee I would happily drink all day.

• Like 10

@SkateReclaimCreate

remarkable little blighters, glad its living up to expectations 😎

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat

remarkable little blighters, glad its living up to expectations

It’s far exceeded them to be honest. I’m just trying to decide if I’m ready to move the bigger kit on.

@SkateReclaimCreate

one in the workshop and one in the kitchen - sorted

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

On 27/05/2019 at 11:15, joey24dirt said:

Where do I start....

Well after the lever day I’ve had this urge to have my own. I’ve always wondered about lever machine, but since that day I’ve been on the hunt daily.

Finally one came up that looked like a perfect candidate for a mini refurb.

5e371da38505b82f09d392f3c87d98a7.jpg

The description was that it was working, but on its way back from its service, the box was dropped and the steam valve got kinked over, and so it was being sold as spares. I had fully prepared myself for a duff machine with the intent of doing whatever I could to bring it back to life.

Speaking to [mention=2844]coffeechap[/mention] about the machine, I found he was watching it too. So we worked out a bit of a deal between ourselves. He ended up getting the machine, and after a few tweaks and the seal of approval from Dave, it is now in my hands.

So after a knackering day of building decking (aka child saver) I thought I’d get the kids to bed and spend the evening with the Pavoni. I’d done some prep work and ordered up a group seal kit so I was ready to go.

I’ll admit in the excitement I didn’t take enough photos. So the strip and rebuild is pretty scarce.

Had some decent scale in there anyway when checked. Also the piston seals had firmed up, but not totally shot.

93142d4d0f41035471570d1d95a094fe.jpg

786c53bf0f85de7ab46bad80779e421d.jpg

So basically I used that severe formic acid descaler to get it all cleared out. Didn’t need long, only around 15 mins. Had to do it a couple of times to get the rest from the elements.

b7cd12bb3034f65b7e5ae6140d36a3f7.jpg

6e9060eb4f0882255dad3bbab69cfa91.jpg

Then I moved onto the group head and just gave the piston sleeve a quick scrub over with some fine wet and dry

d73a9ec345abac917be98617b0663daa.jpg

The piston had to receive the[mention=12284]jimbojohn55[/mention] treatment though. It was 11pm by then but I had to head down the workshop to fire up the buffing wheels. Would’ve been rude not to

fdbc1881181d54896a1b389d81f94fc3.jpg

New seals, bit of grease and new screen, and were ready to go back on.

af60dff20c7fd74e2e3999343dfefad5.jpg

What a beautiful machine these are. So proud to finally own one, and especially one that is as old as it it. As for the colour, I quite like how it looks. May just give it a buff up and keep the natural look. We will see.

60393de654ceb7b12b3aaa39270f5015.jpg

So after the mini refurb it fired up lovely and gets up to temp quicker than I imagined.

Time to make coffee.... oh crap.... I don’t have a tamper to fit. Me of all people emoji23.pngemoji85.pngemoji106.png

Great looking machine. I'm new to all this but really do fancy a lever machine (even though I've no idea how they work!!).

• Like 1

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

one in the workshop and one in the kitchen - sorted

There’s no more room in the workshop haha

• Like 2

@SkateReclaimCreate