Michael18

Newbie with a gaggia

Hello all coffee lovers.

My faithful krups bean to cup machine has kicked the bucket and I have decided to dust down the old gaggia classic.

It's my wife's machine and we have been used to using the krups because it's easy. Just press a button and go.

From reading on here the bean to cup machines are not as good as espresso machines like the gaggia so here we are.

Can you guys advice me on all the mods to get for the gaggia and where to get them?

Also will I be able to install them myself?

Many thanks

Michael

The mods depend on the year on your machine is from.

Do you know if your machine is pre or post 2015?

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

There's a great thread here with loads of links to handy info on the Classic.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

9 hours ago, ashcroc said:

There's a great thread here with loads of links to handy info on the Classic.

Great thanks will check that out.

I now have a shopping list of mods & accessories for my Gaggia Classic.

Would appreciate if anyone could check it over and add or delete.

1- Mr Shades PID kit, which I believe controls & displays the temp of the boiler.

2- Rancilio Silvio steam wand.

3- A new tamper 58mm (any recommendations?)

I think thats it but please advise.

Now to a grinder.

I know this seems to be the most asked question but what grinder should I buy?

Ive never owned one so don't have a clue.

Budget wise I suppose I could goto 500 pounds.

I really like the single dose aspect of the niche zero but for a newbie should I be going for something else?

Thanks in advance

Michael

So Iv'e just come from a Gaggia classic, recently sold through this forum and had it paired with a Eureka Mignon Mk2. A great parinig in my view and a good entry level grinder. In fact it was paired with my Rocket for a few month and it also worked very well.

Now Iv'e just parted with the Mignon also (same chap who bought the Gaggia) and the Niche has just arrived, and thus far I'm loving it. And comparing those two with the Rocket, I can taste the difference. Really the Eureka wasn't up to the challenge of being paired with a high end machine. Was good but the Niche is making soooo much bettr tasting drinks and I havn't even seasoned the burrs yet 🙂

Anyway, without going into detail on the Niche, plenty of other threads covering this topic to advise if the workflow is for your etc. my advice would be to buy what you can afford and if you see yourself potentially moving away from the Gaggia in a few years I personally would just a buy a Niche.

This then leaves you in a position where your grinder is good enough (in my view) to be paired with top of the range HX/DB or whatever takes your fancy in the future.

If of course you think the Gaggia is here for the long haul then perhaps a grinder like the Mignon would suffice (few for sale now in the sale section for £200 or less) so money in your back pocket.

Now what I can't tell you is how the Gaggia pairs with a Niche and if that has such a dramatic taste difference as it did with the Rocket!

40 minutes ago, Michael18 said:

I now have a shopping list of mods & accessories for my Gaggia Classic.

Would appreciate if anyone could check it over and add or delete.

1- Mr Shades PID kit, which I believe controls & displays the temp of the boiler.

2- Rancilio Silvio steam wand.

3- A new tamper 58mm (any recommendations?)

I think thats it but please advise.

Now to a grinder.

I know this seems to be the most asked question but what grinder should I buy?

Ive never owned one so don't have a clue.

Budget wise I suppose I could goto 500 pounds.

I really like the single dose aspect of the niche zero but for a newbie should I be going for something else?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Your mods are totally on point. Mr shades PID is a great mod and makes the biggest difference in taste. The steam wand is also great. 

For a tamper, I'd go for a 58.4mm for a better fit. You can buy a motta one, or if you want join the cool people club you can see if joey24dirt has any reclaimed skateboard tamper going. 

The other thing that's worth doing is the opv mod. There's a thread somewhere (I'll see if I can dig it out) where there's a pressure gauge being passed around for free. I actually have it at the moment, so if you want to post in that thread and put yourself next on the list I can post it to you. 

The Niche is a fantastic grinder for the money. If you do all those mods and get a niche you'll have basically the same set as me. 

Only other mods are less urgent or won't make quite such a big difference. You could get a VST or IMS basket (if IMS you have to make sure its the right size). You can also put an IMS shower screen in, and a brass holder is also an option. A bottomless portafilter is also a nice touch if you fancy it. 

Posted (edited)

I'll wave a paw quite wildly at at the Niche, especially if you change to other types of coffee like aeropress. 

You have to single dose all the time.

If you decide over time something else, i suspect the resale value will be fairly good.    Before you buy a basket, think about what size of shot you need to make, the VST 20g i find about right for a 45-50g espresso.  I think i bought mine from Hasbean, but shop around.

Just to add to that list - scales - thin ones!  Criacr Scales

These are ok and the little plastic trays you can use to spread the beans out or weigh direct into the Niche cup.

PID, wand, tamper etc.

A bottomless PF helps you see what's going on, and gives a bit more room to get a cup and the scales under.

A cheap kitchen timer as you get tired using your phone clock i found.

One of  MildredM's bar towels so you look like a barista 🐱 :good:

Edited by Agentb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agentb said:

I'll wave a paw quite wildly at at the Niche, especially if you change to other types of coffee like aeropress. 

You have to single dose all the time.

PID, wand, tamper etc.

If you decide over time something else, i suspect the resale value will be fairly good.    Before you buy a basket, think about what size of shot you need to make, the VST 20g i find about right for a 45-50g espresso.  I think i bought mine from Hasbean, but shop around.

Just to add to that list - scales - thin ones!  Criacr Scales

These are ok and the little plastic trays you can use to spread the beans out or weigh direct into the Niche cup.

A bottomless PF helps you see what's going on, and gives a bit more room to get a cup and the scales under.

A cheap kitchen timer as you get tired using your phone clock i found.

One of  MildredM's bar towels so you look like a barista 🐱 :good:

Thanks Agentb.

Some good tips.

Just to be clear though, waving a paw wildly at the niche means thumbs up or down at the niche? 😃

I wave the paw at things i want or like.  if i had a thumb it would go up 🐱

Only thing to add having done all those mods and accessories for my GC is go for a v3 rancillo wand. Kit from eBay for £40 or diy cheaper. Twice price of v2, but so much easier to clean and more powerful and I find easier for art. Wish I went straight to v3 rather than via v2.

3 minutes ago, Agentb said:

I wave the paw at things i want or like.  if i had a thumb it would go up 🐱

Shouldve guessed. Everyone seems to love the niche.