It could end badly when £60 worth of Thuya burr ends up as guinea pig bedding

Isn't that what@mildredm uses for her guinea pigs anyway?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

17 minutes ago, igm45 said:

Isn't that what@mildredm uses for her guinea pigs anyway?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Like she hasn't got them all four posters with embroidered drapes! 😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler

@Nicknac did I hear you say you're getting some olive wood in, or did I dream it...you'd be surprised!!! If its true would you be kind enough to say when it's landed as I have a few item's in mind. Thanks

Mr MaB

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, MinesAbeer said:

@Nicknac did I hear you say you're getting some olive wood in, or did I dream it...you'd be surprised!!! If its true would you be kind enough to say when it's landed as I have a few item's in mind. Thanks

Mr MaB

It was coming 🤔 .. but now it is here 2”x2” by about 10” ....  Haven’t played with it yet ..... @MinesAbeer

Edited by Nicknak
  • Like 1

Not quite a handle , but coffee related ..

Cant find the original thread so Putting it here ..

A Niche Portafilter stand for Mr @Planter .

Had a few goes ,with problems chucking due to no spare wood capacity so ended up with glueing it to another piece...

C41C6FED-CD4C-4FD2-BC72-14141656D59D.jpeg

016A7263-901A-4082-8C12-E71B36C1E8AB.jpeg

• Like 5

The two prototypes with the good one ..

8D5E728F-8163-4789-8766-F927F7AB34F3.jpeg

• Like 1

I may sound biased but I think it looks brilliant.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Like she hasn't got them all four posters with embroidered drapes! 😂😂😂

Hmmmmm......

9C8DD243-F527-4FA8-821B-488A1ED93EAB.jpeg

• Haha 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

2 minutes ago, MildredM said:

Hmmmmm......

9C8DD243-F527-4FA8-821B-488A1ED93EAB.jpeg

I’ve got seven dogs looking at me saying “ that’s what we want” .. I think they mean the bed 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Planter said:

I may sound biased but I think it looks brilliant.

You are getting the skinny one on the left now 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are getting the skinny one on the left now
Mean!

• Sad 1

As there has been a bit of talk of Thuya Burr , I thought I would share some thought and experiences for people thinking of using it .

If you are into wooden things , I think there is not much to beat the look of any Burr wood . It does come with a few problems which are not always apparent until you cut into it . There are fewer problems with the better grades . To illustrate here is a piece of Elm Burr which looked pretty good on the outside , but revealed this on the inside . Also because of the wild grain pattern , after working cutting the wood internal (for a better  word ) forces released can cause splits or cracks .. Also the dark spots can reveal holes .

It does look very nice though 😂

9938648B-CA2D-4906-B8E2-5D724FC47C61.jpeg

• Like 3

As there has been a bit of talk of Thuya Burr , I thought I would share some thought and experiences for people thinking of using it .
If you are into wooden things , I think there is not much to beat the look of any Burr wood . It does come with a few problems which are not always apparent until you cut into it . There are fewer problems with the better grades . To illustrate here is a piece of Elm Burr which looked pretty good on the outside , but revealed this on the inside . Also because of the wild grain pattern , after working cutting the wood internal (for a better  word ) forces released can cause splits or cracks .. Also the dark spots can reveal holes .
It does look very nice though
9938648B-CA2D-4906-B8E2-5D724FC47C61.thumb.jpeg.81b8e343a456a5b37ccdac47d272862e.jpeg

It’s beautiful in its own right and could be perfect for some settings. Wood isn’t ever going to be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Now we have twins ...... No finish on them yet !

794E7263-AA73-460A-868A-40305E4AF6BD.jpeg

8E5A2018-52CA-4CF1-ABE9-0BAD0F477840.jpeg

• Like 4

I have been working with my very inferior  grade c Elm burr waiting for something nicer to arrive 🤔

I also have been practicing with  the LR shape handle ,which revealed a fair few imperfections .

I was thinking of filling them with wood dust and glue etc etc . Then I thought what about some brass and resin .

It didn’t go too well as the brass bits were not small enough ,but you get the idea from the picture .

A look on the internet revealed you can get metal powders to mix with resin that polish up like the original metal ..  The decorative uses in wood could be interesting .. 

46ADCFD8-77CA-4A26-BF6C-3F0279E10FFE.jpeg

FD06BB7E-50A2-44AF-9D68-1DF875E2E3AA.jpeg

• Like 4

I love the idea of wood powder fillers. Was would stabilising the wood involve?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MildredM said:

I love the idea of wood powder fillers. Was would stabilising the wood involve?

I’m hoping the resin glue will stop the cracks getting worse .. But you could make groves dots etc to decorate with the metal fillers . Could even glue mother of pearl dots etc .. 

• Like 2

Vesuvius handles in Blackwood .. a complete set..

847832FE-3500-4472-A728-030EA9900C66.jpeg

EA9F99CC-BAF2-422A-AC87-8E2473ECA9E5.jpeg

30C80E12-590A-448B-A2CD-8E9C83243262.jpeg

• Like 2

On 23/05/2019 at 16:19, Nicknak said:

Not quite a handle , but coffee related ..

Cant find the original thread so Putting it here ..

A Niche Portafilter stand for Mr @Planter .

Had a few goes ,with problems chucking due to no spare wood capacity so ended up with glueing it to another piece...

C41C6FED-CD4C-4FD2-BC72-14141656D59D.jpeg

016A7263-901A-4082-8C12-E71B36C1E8AB.jpeg

love that!  I'm using a hockey puck for my naked pf...........

• Like 1

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

So this arrived in the post this morning. Everything fitted perfectly. Based on nothing more than my rough measurements and some pictures.
@nicknak - thank you. It fits perfect and works a treat.

Anyine who is considering having some bits turned or made I would suggest contacting him as he is very competent and thorough.

a93ba8c33abe40108330b219a588d945.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks superb - what a great match 😁 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Planter said:

So this arrived in the post this morning. Everything fitted perfectly. Based on nothing more than my rough measurements and some pictures.
@nicknak - thank you. It fits perfect and works a treat.

Anyine who is considering having some bits turned or made I would suggest contacting him as he is very competent and thorough.

Glad it works .. It looks like the internal cavity could have been smaller ☹️

My PF fitted a bit tighter ..😎

Glad it works .. It looks like the internal cavity could have been smaller
My PF fitted a bit tighter ..
Maybe. But the portafilter sits nice and flat inside there and there is no movement throughout. Its well weighted and doesn't need to be held. So does exactly what it's meant to do. I'm more than happy with it.

• Like 1

[mention=19622]nicknak[/mention] - thank you. It fits perfect and works a treat.

Ooo oo - can I get in the queue for one of those please nicknak? Same wood.

After or before that other stuff - whichever easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

@kennyboy993 Send me a PM .. Hope you are good at measuring 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1