3 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

No not yet ... it would be for the Profitec 700 ... Saying that I have had a surprise offer of a lever .

However it will have to wait while I am struggling to make a square hole in a piece of brass ..

*About time you got a proper machine 😂😂😂😂😂 

*bantering

• Haha 2
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I would start my own thread as I have a few bits I have been asked to do . Also those that are not interested can ignore it . The first handle here is for a Vesuvius, made out of Blackw

@Snakehips in the morning? 

So the LMLM project all buffed up and ready to fit   

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nicknak said:

Finally I got my hands on some Thuya burr .. 

Would you like a place saving on the next Thuya Burr For Beginners Course?!!!

167F6A3D-147E-483E-A6D8-E206E39F05BC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, MildredM said:

Would you like a place saving on the next Thuya Burr For Beginners Course?!!!

167F6A3D-147E-483E-A6D8-E206E39F05BC.jpeg

Is that the chap that cracked it 🤯 obviously using the wrong tool ..  Now I know why I thought I was getting a much bigger piece

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

I finally managed to get some Banksai Nuts .. I have never tried turning them . But they look like they could make some interesting handles etc

41469C54-EB72-42FC-8D6A-65556EF7EED8.jpeg

Resin. Resin. Resin. YES!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MildredM said:

Resin. Resin. Resin. YES!!!

Possibly 😂 . Any particular colour or just clear  ?  ... Just looked on google again for some images ,they can come up snazzy in the raw .

Still looking at some Thuya Burr for you 🙈

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

I finally managed to get some Banksai Nuts .. I have never tried turning them . But they look like they could make some interesting handles etc

41469C54-EB72-42FC-8D6A-65556EF7EED8.jpeg

That's one weird...nut. Otherworldy even. Found this video, looks very interesting in the end .) 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Possibly 😂 . Any particular colour or just clear  ?  ... Just looked on google again for some images ,they can come up snazzy in the raw .

Still looking at some Thuya Burr for you 🙈

Yes! A colour please! Red? Or a gold colour? Please 😁 AND Thuya burr 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Zeak said:

That's one weird...nut. Otherworldy even. Found this video, looks very interesting in the end .) 

Yes they are very unusual .. I think they are actually seed pods of some sort .. I have borrowed some images off the internet below .. 

21492818-1DB1-47C0-84EF-66459C695E89.jpeg

3B96C591-2E17-496D-B7C7-6ABA06F774BE.jpeg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

The Thuya Burr has finally landed ... Might look ok on a Profitec 700 🤔

83E58838-8CC8-4767-95B9-AB0E48859FD2.jpeg

MIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNEEEEE 😍 ALL MINE 😍😤

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today I decided to see what the Banksai Pod/nuts were like to turn .. First impression is they are very dusty and you lose a lot of the thickness to get to the solid base .

1CBA6F1F-F34A-437D-864D-45795E0A4602.jpeg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Today I decided to see what the Banksai Pod/nuts were like to turn .. First impression is they are very dusty and you lose a lot of the thickness to get to the solid base

Watched a few vids of them being machined on YT, they looked like they made a lot of fine dust when being turned. I guess there’s always the resin option to make them more solid. Any feeling for how stable and potentially resilient the core material is?

1 minute ago, Marocchino said:

Watched a few vids of them being machined on YT, they looked like they made a lot of fine dust when being turned. I guess there’s always the resin option to make them more solid. Any feeling for how stable and potentially resilient the core material is?

When I was making the dimples for the centres one end was softish the other end was quite hard .. So time will tell .. The first one I just wanted to see what it was like .. Forgot to take a picture when I came up for a coffee, but this is what I started .

C3761322-1780-4D2C-8A58-EDE9B3623D09.jpeg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Nicknak said:

Forgot to take a picture when I came up for a coffee, but this is what I started .

Looks interesting! Incidentally, in the photograph you posted earlier, what are the rough dims of the stock Thuya piece with the chalked KTD? or mine?

Just curious to see what you get for your money 🤔

8 minutes ago, Marocchino said:

Looks interesting! Incidentally, in the photograph you posted earlier, what are the rough dims of the stock Thuya piece with the chalked KTD? or mine?

Just curious to see what you get for your money 🤔

For £45 plus postage you get 450mm long by about 40mm square for A grade .. The B grade where you get less or none of the Pippy and wild grain effect is £15 for 300mm long by 40 square ... 

• Like 1
Just now, Marocchino said:

Interesting, sounds like you’ll get a couple of portafilter handles out of one length. Any thoughts on what can be done with those expensive wood shavings after turning?

Yes at least two PF handles plus one or two toggles if all goes well 😬 .. The shavings issue 😢 , is why I haven’t started playing with it yet ..  Each cutting pass could equal £2 a time 😂 .

1 minute ago, Nicknak said:

Yes at least two PF handles plus one or two toggles if all goes well 😬 .. The shavings issue 😢 , is why I haven’t started playing with it yet ..  Each cutting pass could equal £2 a time 😂 .

..... yeah, I was sort of thinking that myself, such a shame there’s so much waste 🙈

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Nicknak said:

The Thuya Burr has finally landed ... Might look ok on a Profitec 700 🤔

83E58838-8CC8-4767-95B9-AB0E48859FD2.jpeg

Glad it’s landed safely, all looks good so whatever works best for you 🙌🏻(As long as mine looks awesome) 😅🤣

• Haha 1
Just now, KTD said:

Glad it’s landed safely, all looks good so whatever works best for you 🙌🏻(As long as mine looks awesome) 😅🤣

No T55 is yours 😇 ... need to get some measurements from you .. I’ll PM you later ..  I’m off to experiment with the cheap B grade stuff 😬

• Like 1

A little Tamper handle .. With a couple of coats of sanding sealer .. Will get a final sanding , finish coat and some buffing .. 

250DBC58-4D0D-4041-B522-9B910A32F0AD.jpeg

Edited by Nicknak
  • Like 5