Coffee Forums banner

Wooden Handles 2

31K views 384 replies 42 participants last post by  amourby 
#1 ·
I thought I would start my own thread as I have a few bits I have been asked to do . Also those that are not interested can ignore it .

The first handle here is for a Vesuvius, made out of Blackwood . It is very hard but machines well and the picture is of it sanded to 600 grit with no finish . A bit of research is needed into what finish will be used as the wood is dense and has natural oils . On the internet it is suggested to sand up to 2000 grit and polish ..

Musical instrument Wood Metal Leather Auto part

Wood Cylinder Red Lipstick Tints and shades

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It looks great!

Are you able to make the Vesuvius joystick and brew handles also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Kenny .. The picture is from a PF .. Next on job list is the three toggles . Is that what you meant ? If yes I am going to give it a go . The Blackwood is so hard I'm going to thread the wood and give that ago .Softer woods I'd make a brass insert for them .

#7 ·
Yeah that's right - steam, water and brew handle

Can't wait to see how they turn out!

I'd be up for that if they look as good as Mildred's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mildred's are made from Thuya Burr very exotic and the timber is very expensive . But if money is no object look up Snakewood ???

#24 ·
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Nicknac did I hear you say you're getting some olive wood in, or did I dream it...you'd be surprised!!! If its true would you be kind enough to say when it's landed as I have a few item's in mind. Thanks

Mr ***
It was coming ? .. but now it is here 2"x2" by about 10" .... Haven't played with it yet ..... @**********

#30 ·
Not quite a handle , but coffee related ..

Cant find the original thread so Putting it here ..

A Niche Portafilter stand for Mr @Planter .

Had a few goes ,with problems chucking due to no spare wood capacity so ended up with glueing it to another piece...

Automotive tire Wood Adhesive Rectangle Flooring

Wood Table Musical instrument Flooring Floor

Attachments

#44 ·
Not quite a handle , but coffee related ..

Cant find the original thread so Putting it here ..

A Niche Portafilter stand for Mr @Planter .

Had a few goes ,with problems chucking due to no spare wood capacity so ended up with glueing it to another piece...

View attachment 257

View attachment 258
love that! I'm using a hockey puck for my naked pf...........

Reactions: Nicknak
#37 ·
As there has been a bit of talk of Thuya Burr , I thought I would share some thought and experiences for people thinking of using it .

If you are into wooden things , I think there is not much to beat the look of any Burr wood . It does come with a few problems which are not always apparent until you cut into it . There are fewer problems with the better grades . To illustrate here is a piece of Elm Burr which looked pretty good on the outside , but revealed this on the inside . Also because of the wild grain pattern , after working cutting the wood internal (for a better word ) forces released can cause splits or cracks .. Also the dark spots can reveal holes .

It does look very nice though ?

Wood Natural material Plant Artifact Art

Attachments

#38 ·
As there has been a bit of talk of Thuya Burr , I thought I would share some thought and experiences for people thinking of using it .
If you are into wooden things , I think there is not much to beat the look of any Burr wood . It does come with a few problems which are not always apparent until you cut into it . There are fewer problems with the better grades . To illustrate here is a piece of Elm Burr which looked pretty good on the outside , but revealed this on the inside . Also because of the wild grain pattern , after working cutting the wood internal (for a better word ) forces released can cause splits or cracks .. Also the dark spots can reveal holes .
It does look very nice though [emoji23]
[IMG alt="9938648B-CA2D-4906-B8E2-5D724FC47C61.thumb.jpeg.81b8e343a456a5b37ccdac47d272862e.jpeg" data-fileid="291"]https://www.coffeeforums.co.uk//coffeeforums.co.uk/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" data-src="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2019_05/9938648B-CA2D-4906-B8E2-5D724FC47C61.thumb.jpeg.81b8e343a456a5b37ccdac47d272862e.jpeg[/IMG]
It's beautiful in its own right and could be perfect for some settings. Wood isn't ever going to be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#40 ·
I have been working with my very inferior grade c Elm burr waiting for something nicer to arrive ?

I also have been practicing with the LR shape handle ,which revealed a fair few imperfections .

I was thinking of filling them with wood dust and glue etc etc . Then I thought what about some brass and resin .

It didn't go too well as the brass bits were not small enough ,but you get the idea from the picture .

A look on the internet revealed you can get metal powders to mix with resin that polish up like the original metal .. The decorative uses in wood could be interesting ..

Wood Gas Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Wood Natural material Tool Bicycle part Wood stain

Attachments

#45 ·
So this arrived in the post this morning. Everything fitted perfectly. Based on nothing more than my rough measurements and some pictures.
@nicknak - thank you. It fits perfect and works a treat.

Anyine who is considering having some bits turned or made I would suggest contacting him as he is very competent and thorough.

a93ba8c33abe40108330b219a588d945.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

#47 ·
So this arrived in the post this morning. Everything fitted perfectly. Based on nothing more than my rough measurements and some pictures.
@nicknak - thank you. It fits perfect and works a treat.

Anyine who is considering having some bits turned or made I would suggest contacting him as he is very competent and thorough.

a93ba8c33abe40108330b219a588d945.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Glad it works .. It looks like the internal cavity could have been smaller ☹

My PF fitted a bit tighter ..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.