Afternoon everyone - so I’ve spent the past two hours giving my whole setup a much needed deep clean, descale & restock. Perfect timing for a new bag of beans to arrive from my local roaster.

I’ve had my Sage Barista Express around two years now and after much trial and error I feel things are where I want them to be with my espresso extraction.  The dream, one day, is to get myself a La Marzocco however that’s some time away and I’ll enjoy using my Sage in the meantime.

To assist with my home setup I use a Motta 53mm leveller/distributor, Motta 53mm tamper, Acaia Lunar scales (only had these since Apr 19 and wow these are amazing) and my primary bean of choice is the 200 Degrees Brazilian Love Affair.

Hopefully the photograph is showing okay.

E2C0962B-1F6E-4C8D-B622-6EAAB3804E70.thumb.jpeg.d7b55121b9f7fd6335826987f22d7e78.jpeg

• Like 3

Sage Barista Express | Acaia Lunar | 200 Degrees ‘Brazilian Love Affair’ | Motta 53mm Leveller & Tamper 

Posted (edited)

Nice setup mate - very similar to mine except I use a separate grinder. Out of interest, where did you pick up the Motta gear? I’ve been looking around for it everywhere (especially the leveller).

edit: also, a fine choice on the chocolate cigars in the back!

Edited by Cooffe
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cooffe said:

Nice setup mate - very similar to mine except I use a separate grinder. Out of interest, where did you pick up the Motta gear? I’ve been looking around for it everywhere (especially the leveller).

edit: also, a fine choice on the chocolate cigars in the back!

What grinder do you use? I’m thinking about getting a stand-alone as starting to get into brewing.

It took me a while to find the leveller and ended up getting it from a German eBay seller. I noticed Bella Barista had some 53mm for sale however at the time were shown out of stock hence the German eBay.

I got the tamper, as a gift, from 200 Degrees online shop. I’ve recently bought another 53mm Motta tamper as a gift for someone and got this from Bella Barista - excellent service and postage.

A recent visit to Waitrose for some emergency beans is to thank for the chocolate cigars - hardest part is not eating them every time I walk past! 

Sage Barista Express | Acaia Lunar | 200 Degrees ‘Brazilian Love Affair’ | Motta 53mm Leveller & Tamper 

35 minutes ago, THR_Crema said:

What grinder do you use? I’m thinking about getting a stand-alone as starting to get into brewing.

It took me a while to find the leveller and ended up getting it from a German eBay seller. I noticed Bella Barista had some 53mm for sale however at the time were shown out of stock hence the German eBay.

I got the tamper, as a gift, from 200 Degrees online shop. I’ve recently bought another 53mm Motta tamper as a gift for someone and got this from Bella Barista - excellent service and postage.

A recent visit to Waitrose for some emergency beans is to thank for the chocolate cigars - hardest part is not eating them every time I walk past! 

Thanks - I've just ordered the 53mm Motta leveller! Will have to look into getting the tamper next month.

The grinder I use is the Atom 60E (picked it up off this forum), however it's not the best for single dosing if you're that way inclined. 

There's a 200 Degrees local to me that I was planning on popping into this weekend so I should have a look when I'm there! Also, the chocolate cigars are immense for a couple of quid!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cooffe said:

Thanks - I've just ordered the 53mm Motta leveller! Will have to look into getting the tamper next month. 

The grinder I use is the Atom 60E (picked it up off this forum), however it's not the best for single dosing if you're that way inclined. 

There's a 200 Degrees local to me that I was planning on popping into this weekend so I should have a look when I'm there! Also, the chocolate cigars are immense for a couple of quid! 

You might not need the tamper. Set the levelling tool to Razor depth, use a couple of taps to settle the dose in the PF (best to grind into a cup/small jug first, then transfer to PF), then just use the levelling tool & pull the shot. See how you go.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

15 hours ago, MWJB said:

You might not need the tamper. Set the levelling tool to Razor depth, use a couple of taps to settle the dose in the PF (best to grind into a cup/small jug first, then transfer to PF), then just use the levelling tool & pull the shot. See how you go.

Cheers for the advice - I have also got a knock of LWW tumbler so I'll give it a go with this. Will let you know how I get on!

looks great, I had a barista express for a few months, was a great wee machine. Sold it and regret replaced it with the sage smart grinder and duo temp pro. pretty much the same setup.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2019 at 12:56, Cooffe said:

What did you think to 200 Degrees? Hope the leveller has arrived and it's working well for your routine? 

12 hours ago, THR_Crema said:

What did you think to 200 Degrees? Hope the leveller has arrived and it's working well for your routine? 

Didn't manage to get there this weekend gone, however am going next weekend! Leveller is OK but I am still getting issues with channeling... I know all it really does is make the puck pretty, but was hoping for something. Not quite sure on what to do to combat it (I get it with/without WDT), apart from a Naked Portafilter and check the shot via that method.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Didn't manage to get there this weekend gone, however am going next weekend! Leveller is OK but I am still getting issues with channeling... I know all it really does is make the puck pretty, but was hoping for something. Not quite sure on what to do to combat it (I get it with/without WDT), apart from a Naked Portafilter and check the shot via that method.

Are you grinding into the PF? If so, don't. Grind into a cup/jug then (after checking dose weight is 18.0g) dump this into the PF basket, a funnel is useful here to avoid spillage. Then a couple of downward taps will fill voids in the basket, a couple of side taps to level some, then use the tool.

11 hours ago, MWJB said:

Are you grinding into the PF? If so, don't. Grind into a cup/jug then (after checking dose weight is 18.0g) dump this into the PF basket, a funnel is useful here to avoid spillage. Then a couple of downward taps will fill voids in the basket, a couple of side taps to level some, then use the tool.

Yeah I am, stupidly enough. I guess the Atom just isn’t up to dispensing straight into the PF. I’ll give what you say a go with my cheapo knock off LWW tumbler and see if it gets any better. How do you know the correct depth for the grooming tool btw - is there a method?

6 minutes ago, Cooffe said:

Yeah I am, stupidly enough. I guess the Atom just isn’t up to dispensing straight into the PF. I’ll give what you say a go with my cheapo knock off LWW tumbler and see if it gets any better. How do you know the correct depth for the grooming tool btw - is there a method?

I set mine to the depth of the silver band on the Sage tamper, or the depth of the Razor tool.

On 29/05/2019 at 20:53, MWJB said:

I set mine to the depth of the silver band on the Sage tamper, or the depth of the Razor tool.

So I ran my daily shot after work, put it into my knock off LWW tumbler and it came out fine (also have some new beans so not sure if that’s anything). It’s crazy how much one addition to your workflow can change the whole shot. Cheers for the help!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I bought the Motta 53mm levelling tool today but I can't screw it in enough to get the depth of the razor tool (I'm  using the Sage BE). Screwed in fully, it's 2mm too low. How did you get your Motta to work with the large Sage BE basket?

Edited by Java_avaJ
Missed detail

12 minutes ago, Java_avaJ said:

I bought the Motta 53mm levelling tool today but I can't screw it in enough to get the depth of the razor tool (I'm  using the Sage BE). Screwed in fully, it's 2mm too low. How did you get your Motta to work with the large Sage BE basket?

Try using 16g of coffee?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Java_avaJ said:

I use 17g dose and didn’t have an issue setting up the leveller. When I can I’ll measure how far I have it set up.

On 13/06/2019 at 21:30, MWJB said:

Try using 16g of coffee?

I can just about get 16g but it is 2mm lower than the razor tool depth and very compacted which is pushing up the extraction time.

13 hours ago, THR_Crema said:

I use 17g dose and didn’t have an issue setting up the leveller. When I can I’ll measure how far I have it set up.

That'd be useful, thanks

9 hours ago, Java_avaJ said:

I can just about get 16g but it is 2mm lower than the razor tool depth and very compacted which is pushing up the extraction time.

What is the extraction time?

3 hours ago, MWJB said:

What is the extraction time?

8 to 9 seconds pre-extraction then 28 to 32 secs extraction, and I am getting 17g of coffee in the basket. Those figures don't seem bad even though the puck is shallower than the razor tool. What do think?

40s total (because the liquid dripping at 8-9s is dark, coffee coloured, it is already extracted by this point) isn't a sign that anything is wrong. But, we need to know the weight of coffee in the cup?

Posted (edited)

Weight in the cup is 36g from the 17g coffee, actually last time it was a bit more, about 40g but I reprogrammed the single shot on the Sage BE to a little less, I was aiming for a 1:2 ratio but overshot

Edited by Java_avaJ
Correction

If you are overshooting at 40s, you will have to grind a little finer, the shot may therefore take a bit longer.

However, I probably wouldn't worry about overshooting by 3g if the shot tastes good.

I must say it does taste good, I guess I was worrying that coffee being lower in the basket than Sage think it should be might cause other problems. I guess I should stop worrying if it tastes good and the time isn't out of the ordinary 

• Like 1