Nick1881

Descaling - Citric acid not so great?

I bought some citric acid crystals ready for when I need to descale, I decided to try it on a kettle that was pretty bad, our water is fairly hard and this kettle had never been descaled. I followed the recommended procedure and used a teaspoon of citric acid. It didn't do much so I tried again, again very little difference.

I then tried a measure of Kilrock, within 10 minutes this had dissolved all the scale in the kettle and it looked as good as new.

So did I get poor citric acid crystals or is it just not very effective? Is Kilrock ok to use in my machine? It didn't smell great but the results were good.

Anyone else compared other products?

I also need other cleaned products to clean the group etc, not quite yet but maybe in a few months, looking for recommendations.

Thanks

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

For kettle i use a tablespoon instead of teaspoon.

• Thanks 1

Gaggia Classic 2010(PID&IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 | Mazzer Major Electronic 2017Niche Zero on trial | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I've found citric that I have bought varies quite a bit - with doing some Italian machines the type of scale also varies so it might be that? certainly tartric acid is often recommended for Gaggia classics and old levers as its kinder to the seals apparently.

Thinking about this I've often put a couple of tablespoons in if its very scaled and then had to repeat it, but always use boiling water to get the best out the acid

I hear Kilrock  does the business so must try it

• Thanks 1

keep calm and grind flat

Re citric acid

1. try with warm/hot water

2. as mentioned already, use a bit more than a teaspoon

3. give it some time

careful with aluminium parts (no matter what acid btw), do you know what materials your machine internals are made from? 

• Thanks 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

I used the citric acid with boiling water, I will try more next time. I left it for about 15 minutes.

I believe my Lelit Bianca has steel boilers, not sure about other parts. I guess the seals would be a worry.

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

A teaspoon will do nothing at all, you need at least 10-12 teaspoons or around 50g per litre, even then this is fairly non aggressive. Citric acid won't damage the seals, or anything else in your machine. Well don't splash any on the outside finish of course.

• Thanks 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Like Dave says at least 50, last time used 80 I think, but that is all in the past.

• Thanks 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I used 20g/l and descaled my La Pavoni - not a lot in there - and then I poured the same solution into the kettle which was badly scaled with unfiltered hard Thames Valley water. Left for 45min and it was clean.

Maybe these citric acid crystals have different concentrations?