MildredM

New Look Forum!

I really feel for Tait working night shifts, day shifts and whatever else to help us all out and in return is facing a torrent of abuse and complaints just because folk can't stand change. I have the faith that given time normal service will be resumed. Just put up with for the time being, he's working on it and have faith.
MaB in support of Tait

Mr MaB

• Like 3

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

53 minutes ago, Hasi said:

you may also just copy/paste into the text window, very handy!

If you've uploaded to Tapatalk, they're stored on TT servers and linked to CFUK. Maybe that's how some survived... 

29 minutes ago, MildredM said:

Oh my, double quotes! Whatever next 🙈

34 minutes ago, Hasi said:

oh wow, just figured you can collect multiple quotes all across different threads the site over by simply clicking '+' symbol below a post to more or less add to your cart. 

Oooooooooh! I didn’t see the other bit down below 🤗

• Like 2

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

5 minutes ago, MinesAbeer said:

I really feel for Tait working night shifts, day shifts and whatever else to help us all out and in return is facing a torrent of abuse and complaints just because folk can't stand change. I have the faith that given time normal service will be resumed. Just put up with for the time being, he's working on it and have faith.
MaB in support of Tait

Mr MaB

He’s doing a grand job 😁 

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

He’s doing a grand job  
Stop picking on him then and let him get on doing whatever is needed

Mr MaB

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MildredM said:

My thoughts . . . If Tait runs the forum with a passion for creating something good, the time he puts in can’t be free for ever. My plumber earns £38 an hour! Why shouldn’t the investors show some forum of return. He’s already mentioned the Google ads will be hidden to forum supporters, he hasn’t mentioned a fee as such and while I have no idea what anyone has ever donated speaking for myself I have paid in far less than the eBay fee would have been on even one machine sale. The value the forum represents is phenomenal. 

As long as Tait keeps listening and addressing the issues as identified I personally am happy to give him my full support. I don’t want to see Google Ads but if they have to be here then keep them to the foot of the page so they don’t irritate us regulars! Having said that, we should be used to ads - they are on FB, TT, loads of Apps and every which way you look these days. 

I really hope all the regular forum users keep posting, you are what make the forum what it is - a well of information, support, banter, humour and somewhere to 'be' when I don’t think much to being in the real world 😁 

I'm quite amazed at Tait's skill, responsiveness and patience.  This is a very large forum and this - from an IT perspective - is a major upgrade, but from a coffee perspective - my coffee still tastes the same so all is good.  The number of ads / page is small compared with mainstream, and the forum needs a healthy revenue stream to keep it healthy.  TBH i was looking at the rather archaic system it was running and thinking - not much is being spent on keeping it fresh.

I'm looking forward to reading the forum upgrade story, but in the meantime i may delve into the darker theme. :good:

Edited by Agentb
  • Like 3

Adverts littering between the posts , oh dear oh dear 

personaly I am a little disappointed 

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

3 minutes ago, Thecatlinux said:

Adverts littering between the posts , oh dear oh dear 

personaly I am a little disappointed 

if you buy an EK they'll be gone! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Ek is not on my radar at the moment , really surprised how the forum has changed , a casually of its own success 

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

19 minutes ago, Hasi said:

if you buy an EK they'll be gone! 

No they won’t 🙁

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

9 hours ago, Agentb said:

I'm quite amazed at Tait's skill, responsiveness and patience.  This is a very large forum and this - from an IT perspective - is a major upgrade, but from a coffee perspective - my coffee still tastes the same so all is good.  The number of ads / page is small compared with mainstream, and the forum needs a healthy revenue stream to keep it healthy.  TBH i was looking at the rather archaic system it was running and thinking - not much is being spent on keeping it fresh.

I'm looking forward to reading the forum upgrade story, but in the meantime i may delve into the darker theme. :good:

Get off the light theme ASAP! Far too much blue light burning your eyes from all the white on the default light theme to be healthy.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

@dfk41 Yours are the same thoughts I have had .. So the donation button has now become a subscription to stop the ads .
I use the All Activity button .. and it is noticeable how quiet the forum is at the moment if you discount the discussions over the new format ! 
I will stick around as I like it here and it’s the only web based activity I can be bothered with  , but I can see how it would put people off .

Actually no that's not the case (re: the donation button). Nothing stops the ads yet, I've not programmed anything in yet. Only just getting over weekend of no sleep.
I'll put together a a system a close as possible to what we had.
I do need to pay for additional costs though, we have a dedicated server and a separate dedicated database server. We're also using Amazon Elastic cloud for search and this new forum software has a big price tag too. My time is expensive to most but of course im just investing that and trying to get this right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

No biggy but still not showing my badges & signature

Try looking on Desktop view. Did you try setting your signature again?

Odd that you guys are talking about advertising, I see nothing new..... and Adblock is off still for this site

5 minutes ago, grumpydaddy said:

Odd that you guys are talking about advertising, I see nothing new..... and Adblock is off still for this site

I didn't get any strange ads as well, seems to be browser specific!

Using DuckDuckGo privacy browser on my Android (current build) and Firefox 60.1.0esr on my Win10 workstation in the office.
Apple users appear to get more of targeted other stuff... (there's an option in iOS to disable targeted ads, or reset your ad ID. Maybe give this a try: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202074)

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

11 hours ago, Tait said:

Actually no that's not the case (re: the donation button). Nothing stops the ads yet, I've not programmed anything in yet. Only just getting over weekend of no sleep.
I do need to pay for additional costs though, we have a dedicated server and a separate dedicated database server. We're also using Amazon Elastic cloud for search and this new forum software has a big price tag too. My time is expensive to most but of course im just investing that and trying to get this right.

I guess you didn't have to choose one of the most expensive pieces of software, that was designed to run on expensive cloud services or any of this kind of exotic stuff. You could have chosen standard Forum software.

Of course doing things the way Google wants might make it easier to monetise the input of all the members.

If I come across web pages that ask me, nay, tell me, to turn off any adblocking I just leave that page.

Before, I supported CFUK because I wanted to. Nothing you do will force my hand on this.

You, the hierarchy,  chose to have bigger bills, greater expenditure, additional costs, not us

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tait said:

I was reacting to a post that I believe you wrote that said the adverts were blocked for Site supporters ..Coffee chap responded to that with “ some people contribute in other ways......”  It takes too long to go back and find the original .. 

Anyway I’m still here enjoying everything and no doubt it will get back to normal ish ..

I don’t know why things changed ? Was it necessary ? And loads more question I could think of . But I have just seen an advert on a thread for a dating site for the 40/50/60 ‘s .. I need something to do while the wife is out at work 🤣

• Haha 3

I think it’s akin to a party where I know my friends are or were and now I can’t seem to find them , it’s the party goers that make the party not the venue 

• Like 2

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

14 minutes ago, Thecatlinux said:

I think it’s akin to a party where I know my friends are or were and now I can’t seem to find them , it’s the party goers that make the party not the venue 

I’m over here 😁 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grumpydaddy said:

I guess you didn't have to choose one of the most expensive pieces of software, that was designed to run on expensive cloud services or any of this kind of exotic stuff. You could have chosen standard Forum software.

Of course doing things the way Google wants might make it easier to monetise the input of all the members.

If I come across web pages that ask me, nay, tell me, to turn off any adblocking I just leave that page.

Before, I supported CFUK because I wanted to. Nothing you do will force my hand on this.

You, the hierarchy,  chose to have bigger bills, greater expenditure, additional costs, not us

I'm sure you appreciate a fast site, your data being safe etc. 2000+ visits per day will slow a forum of this size down.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ashcroc said:

Get off the light theme ASAP! Far too much blue light burning your eyes from all the white on the default light theme to be healthy.

Do you mean now?  I have applied sunscreen, factor 15 seems about right.  😎

It doesn't seem to be affect my milk frothing either, maybe this extra light could help generate more steam?  :p

• Haha 2

Do you mean now?  I have applied sunscreen, factor 15 seems about right. 
It doesn't seem to be affect my milk frothing either, maybe this extra light could help generate more steam? 
where did you apply sunscreen to?
the monitor?

says Hasi.

1 hour ago, Hasi said:

where did you apply sunscreen to?
the monitor?

Just the white bits... 😎

4 hours ago, Tait said:

I'm sure you appreciate a fast site, your data being safe etc. 2000+ visits per day will slow a forum of this size down.

What I would really appreciate is for you to continue the old site whilst you do all of the Alpha testing, and that is what this is.

Whilst you are getting the required experience and learning we would not have the pain and you could be relieved of the time pressure.

The basic concept of Alpha testing is to get things fully functional first before releasing it, as a Beta test, to allow further tweaking.

Clearly, The lack of all of the original features and pictures etc. is not showing your skills in the best light.

The whole concept of this may or may not be serving the members well (fast and secure vs monetising members efforts) but my overall feeling about this is that it is nowhere near ready, that this is your first time with such a venture, and that trained or otherwise you don't know as much as much as you thought you did.

Now, having said all that, I should say that I wish you well with your efforts and am happy to help if you think there is something I could be helping with so keep at it and maybe in a month or two we might be getting close.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grumpydaddy said:

What I would really appreciate is for you to continue the old site whilst you do all of the Alpha testing, and that is what this is.

Whilst you are getting the required experience and learning we would not have the pain and you could be relieved of the time pressure.

The basic concept of Alpha testing is to get things fully functional first before releasing it, as a Beta test, to allow further tweaking.

Clearly, The lack of all of the original features and pictures etc. is not showing your skills in the best light.

The whole concept of this may or may not be serving the members well (fast and secure vs monetising members efforts) but my overall feeling about this is that it is nowhere near ready, that this is your first time with such a venture, and that trained or otherwise you don't know as much as much as you thought you did.

Now, having said all that, I should say that I wish you well with your efforts and am happy to help if you think there is something I could be helping with so keep at it and maybe in a month or two we might be getting close.

The images I have a backup of. The forum software has conversion software you have to run on live. I ran it on test and it worked well, but on live my session expired during the conversion and then restarted so it only converted a portion of the images. I have an ongoing ticket with IPS about it and I've nearly cracked it on my local.

Thanks for the offer of help, it would really help if you could reassure, guide other members with what you've figured out etc. I have a block of time out aside after this weekend to get my head down on the images if IPS don't come up with the goods.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Oh thank the lord! Finally found it. I needed sunglasses in light mode and had begun to despair. Now it looks a lot better. :)

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.