CoffeeNooge

Hi all from London

Hi, I’ve been a long time lurker and have finally decided to join!

I’m getting really consistent results now and has become an obsession so feel I can contribute to a discussion! Am also contemplating a grinder upgrade so thought getting access to lurk the for sale section would be a bonus!

• Like 1

Welcome☺️

• Like 1

Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux /Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge

On 18/05/2019 at 05:54, CoffeeNooge said:

Hi, I’ve been a long time lurker and have finally decided to join!

I’m getting really consistent results now and has become an obsession so feel I can contribute to a discussion! Am also contemplating a grinder upgrade so thought getting access to lurk the for sale section would be a bonus!

Welcome, what's your current setup?

Ve ve suvivius.... /Pending grinder changes / Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Posted (edited)

Hi, I’ve got an ECM synchronica with an ECM S64 grinder. 

The grinder came as part of a package deal. I’ve put about 10kg of beans through it and it’s working well but am thinking I’d like to single dose so I can have a variety of coffees hence the potential upgrade. 

There seems to be a shortage of options though without spending crazy money...

Edited by CoffeeNooge
Spelling

17 minutes ago, CoffeeNooge said:

The grinder came as part of a package deal. I’ve put about 10kg of beans through it and it’s working well but am thinking I’d like to single dose so I can have a variety of coffees hence the potential upgrade. 

'crazy money' is often normalised on here!

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Ve ve suvivius.... /Pending grinder changes / Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Welcome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, igm45 said:

'crazy money' is often normalised on here!

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Haha true! 

Tbh I’m mostly just testing the water at the moment but have decided I don’t want to convince myself I need a Monolith! 

I guess sub-£1.5k would be okay if I can convince the missus/get one that looks the same as the s64. The Niche seems like the obvious choice as an additional grinder but don’t particularly fancy the design or the additional workspace required.

Having seen a few puffer mods on YouTube for a T64 I’m tempted to have a go or maybe go the route of a eureka 75e with the blow out hopper but given these grinders require the weight of beans behind them to get a consistent grind, I might just be trading one issue for another. 

Haha true! 
Tbh I’m mostly just testing the water at the moment but have decided I don’t want to convince myself I need a Monolith! 
I guess sub-£1.5k would be okay if I can convince the missus/get one that looks the same as the s64. The Niche seems like the obvious choice as an additional grinder but don’t particularly fancy the design or the additional workspace required.
Having seen a few puffer mods on YouTube for a T64 I’m tempted to have a go or maybe go the route of a eureka 75e with the blow out hopper but given these grinders require the weight of beans behind them to get a consistent grind, I might just be trading one issue for another. 

If you like the idea of a niche but don't like the looks I'm actually selling my HG-1:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/46510-hg-1-hand-grinder-83mm-conical/&share_tid=46510&share_fid=6813&share_type=t

HG-1 hand grinder - 83mm conical

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, igm45 said:

If you like the idea of a niche but don't like the looks I'm actually selling my HG-1:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/46510-hg-1-hand-grinder-83mm-conical/&share_tid=46510&share_fid=6813&share_type=t

HG-1 hand grinder - 83mm conical

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Nice. I hadn’t considered a hand grinder. I think the space constraint is the deciding factor though as I don’t think I’d want to have a manual as my sole grinder. 

On 21/05/2019 at 06:26, CoffeeNooge said:

Hi Nooge,

Welcome - can I ask what are you doing with your water intake? Is it straight from the London tap? My ECM is coming out of the shipping container from Melbourne where it had tap water through a Brita jug. But I am loathe to do the same thing with London water given the scale etc...

t

On 27/05/2019 at 18:05, tammma said:

Hi Nooge,

Welcome - can I ask what are you doing with your water intake? Is it straight from the London tap? My ECM is coming out of the shipping container from Melbourne where it had tap water through a Brita jug. But I am loathe to do the same thing with London water given the scale etc...

t

Hi,

I looked at a few options but settled on the BWT bestmax premium under sink filter after looking at some YouTube vids. The initial plan was to plumb in the machine off the filter but splitting the line was an issue for drinking water, the machine (3/8” plumbing hardware was tough to find) and the missus didn’t fancy me drilling a hole in our kitchen worktop so it’s setup to feed a 3 way kitchen tap to have regular unfiltered hot and cold and a filter tap to top up the reservoir. Having line feed pre-infusion is the dream so might do it at a later date assuming I can find the hardware  

The Brita approach is much cheaper but the family drinks quite a lot of water and it was always empty by the time I needed to top up. Plastic waste is a big issue in our house so bottled water was not an option. The bwt lasts for a year (found a much cheaper shop in Europe for the filters), doesn’t scale and apparently makes the taste better. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoffeeNooge said:

Hi,

I looked at a few options but settled on the BWT bestmax premium under sink filter after looking at some YouTube vids. The initial plan was to plumb in the machine off the filter but splitting the line was an issue for drinking water, the machine (3/8” plumbing hardware was tough to find) and the missus didn’t fancy me drilling a hole in our kitchen worktop so it’s setup to feed a 3 way kitchen tap to have regular unfiltered hot and cold and a filter tap to top up the reservoir. Having line feed pre-infusion is the dream so might do it at a later date assuming I can find the hardware  

The Brita approach is much cheaper but the family drinks quite a lot of water and it was always empty by the time I needed to top up. Plastic waste is a big issue in our house so bottled water was not an option. The bwt lasts for a year (found a much cheaper shop in Europe for the filters), doesn’t scale and apparently makes the taste better. 

Hope this helps!

Awesome this is super helpful.

Which site did you use in the end? If you can't share publicly because of site rules feel free to pm me. Keen to get an understanding of your setup and whether this is something I could install myself or whether I'd need a plumber in.

Were there any issues with mounting bwt? I've read Brita filters need to be installed upright.

T

Hmm need to find the site rules again! I’ll dm you just in case. 

I like to think I’m quite competent with DIY and found it quite straightforward to fit. The hard part was getting the right adapters. Most uk fittings are metric and bwt are imperial so needed a mix of adapters. 

Off the top of my head I needed:

-15mm compression splitter (one to go to the kitchen cold and the other to bwt)

- 15mm copper tube

- 15mm to 3/8” flex hose

- bwt filter head

- 3/8” screw to 15mm compression adapter (this was tricky)

This was the tap I fitted  - didn’t need to drill more holes but got the additional filter tap.

https://www.vyair.com/three-way-kitchen-tap-13306.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIksGM3s_F4gIVKb7tCh1WAw4VEAQYAyABEgI6A_D_BwE

Ideally I would have bought a whole system but was quite expensive to import from the states which was the only place I could find it.