Dear ecm owners

Has anyone experimented with the different stream tips available? On my Slim I recently tried the 5 hole based (up from stock 2 hole). I wanted to be able to get a better roll in the pitcher and steam faster.

The added power is immense but potentially too much!

Would trying the 4 hole be a good option or is it actually pretty similar to the 5 and I should just try and get used to wielding the added power?

Thanks

I've got the 4 hole tip and switched back to the 2 hole because it was too much power. It's a lot slower, and with that it adds a bit more water, but i prefer the control

Been using the 5 hole tip for over 6 years. Makes superb microfoam.

Been using the 5 hole tip for over 6 years. Makes superb microfoam.
Thanks. I'll persevere!

I experimented with them all. The 4 hole tip has slightly larger diameter holes than the 5 so that’s just as crazy quick.

I went back to the 2 hole

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Posted (edited)

The 4 hole can be mastered but I don't think it's worth it unless the extra speed means that much to you. Personally I don't like that I have to give it my full attention every time to get it perfect, but depending on the type of person you are that may be something you enjoy. In terms of taste there isn't anything I can do with the 4 I can't do with the 2.

Edited by denzity

How much quicker are we talking?

I start a shot and steam straight after. On a 2 hole tip I’m done in 40s for the first drink, probably 35 or so after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

400ml in 7-10 secs

• Like 1

Curiosly, i’ve just received a new 2 hole steam tip, that came with a new complete steam wand, and the hole diameter is a lot smaller than the one that came with the my Synchronika (updated 2018 model with the new pid and 2 bar steam boiler pressure)

Left: new (to me) 2 hole steam tip

Middle: original 2 hole (that came with the machine)

Right: 4 hole steam tip bought later

This smaller tip is a bit slower frothing but... it’s so much more controlable and the microfoam is amazing!

0D73AD02-10C1-477F-B41D-6767AB08C92E.jpeg