Dr Forinor

Knocking puck takes a couple of tries

After making the espresso in my Gaggia Classic, it always takes a good 2-3 times of solid knocks to get the puck out, and even then sometimes there is still some coffee remaining in the basket, the puck doesn't always come out fully and leave the basket clean.

Is there something I should be concerned about?

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

That used to happen when I had the same machine.

Basically nothing to worry about.

Better prep reduces the frequency of this, but it does tend to happen

After making the espresso in my Gaggia Classic, it always takes a good 2-3 times of solid knocks to get the puck out, and even then sometimes there is still some coffee remaining in the basket, the puck doesn't always come out fully and leave the basket clean.

Is there something I should be concerned about?

No

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram

rjw_inc

Excellent, thank you guys.

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

I’ve adjusted my tamp pressure, so I’m going in a little bit lighter and it seems to have worked for this bean. The next lot may be totally different.

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

If the entire puck is coming out cleanly as mentioned I find it's due to over filling. Nothing basically wrong with that if it works but less coffee and a finer grind may even produce a stronger drink.

If breaking up as it's knocked out touch more may cure it.

Funny area. My usual bean ground with a Mazzer mini and the entire puck dropped out cleanly just by inverting the portafilter. Same bean ground with a Niche doesn't drop out, needs a bit of a tap and leaves a few irritating bits behind. Tamping a bit firmer reduces that but messes up the grind. Add 1/2g to the Niche grinds and the drink is noticeably weaker. :) they must sit higher than what came out of the Mini.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Mine tends to stick to the shower screen about 50% of the time

Try putting less coffee in

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans