Junglebert

Niche users, what DON’T you like?

You can't feed the Niche when motor is running, cause its will stop when you open the lid
Why would you though when single dosing?

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

The only downside i see of the Niche is that you need to do a bit of extra puck preparation.

My routine is like this: Grind with Niche, transfer to PF with the cup (portafilter on top and invert the cup), add portafilter collar, use wisk to stir grounds, apply leveler, tamp.

Sounds like a lot but once you know what you're doing it takes like time and for me it results in VERY consistent shots, no channeling, tasty.

I'm sure some steps can be skipped, probably wisk and leveler parts.

I tried stirring in the cup directly, but getting unevenness when transferring from the cup to portafilter. Maybe i need some more practice.

For 2-4 coffees per day the single dose routine highly outweighs the drawbacks in my opinion.

I tend to do without the cup and just use pf funnel and straight into pf. Similar thereafter though, stir, knock level then tamp. Nice and quick.

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

The jumpy last few beans, we know this causes inconsistency so they annoy me a bit, but they certainly dont make enough difference to ruin the grind.

I pull one shot a day most days, so I like to get out what I put in on the first grind, this means smacking the plastic lid a bit and tapping the cup on the exit tube - although it actually feels solid I do worry I will crack the lid one day or scratch the paintwork by the exit chute. That said, once I have given it a few smacks the output is usually within 0.1g of the input, which is better than nearly any other grinder out there, especially for the price range.

Oh and I would quite like a lid to make the shake after the grind a bit easier, I like to give it a good shake with my hand over the top, would be easier with a little lid that could sit underneath the catch cup. That may just be my workflow however.

I got it on an early bird, but even at full price for the money there isn't anything else as good and as kitchen friendly as the Niche. Even with the money to get a more expensive grinder I wouldn't change (at least not until the VERY expensive single dosers) I wouldn't change as very few of them are single dose as they are based on commercial settings - for a one drink a day person having beans sat in the grinder means you get worse coffee.

It's not the jumpy beans that are causing a wider particle spread (or less fines, or whatever happens when you run the chamber empty), it's the no load scenario where you have nothing pushing on the beans. With a hopper, the bean feed is consistent, beans follow burr cuts and get gradually smaller, producing a more consistent grind. With single dosing, the grind gets gradually coarser as the burr chamber empties.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

The only downside i see of the Niche is that you need to do a bit of extra puck preparation.

My routine is like this: Grind with Niche, transfer to PF with the cup (portafilter on top and invert the cup), add portafilter collar, use wisk to stir grounds, apply leveler, tamp.

Sounds like a lot but once you know what you're doing it takes like time and for me it results in VERY consistent shots, no channeling, tasty.

I'm sure some steps can be skipped, probably wisk and leveler parts.

I tried stirring in the cup directly, but getting unevenness when transferring from the cup to portafilter. Maybe i need some more practice.

For 2-4 coffees per day the single dose routine highly outweighs the drawbacks in my opinion.

I do this with my EK43 as I use the Niche cup with it.

I tend to do without the cup and just use pf funnel and straight into pf. Similar thereafter though, stir, knock level then tamp. Nice and quick.

I use the Niche with a La Pavoni and put a portafilter collar on, then hold under the chute. After that I use a home-made Londinium tool which is basically a cork with 3 paper clips shoved in it (thinking of calling it an Eboracum tool as I'm from York.. :whistle:)

And who wants to expose the burrs when they're running.. that's the whole point of the safety device with the lid. I doubt chewed finger ends would make an espresso taste any better :rolleyes:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I use an EK43 and a niche. Both are convenient to single dose. The EK is more messy. I use the lid from the aluminium screw top pot I use to weigh single doses to reduce popcorning. In terms of technique I just give the cup a rotating shake before emptying into the basket using a funnel then a horizontal plane shake to distribute evenly before tamping. Takes a bit of practice but no need for WDT. Negligible retention and displacement means the 2nd shot is consistent with the first. I find it very easy to dial in.

• Like 1

Home: Ambient Vesuvius, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: La Spaziale S1 Mini II & Niche Zero

Has anyone had any issues with the threads on the hopper of their Niche? I am in talks just now with Niche (who have been fantastic in customer service with several issues) regarding a problem with my new Niche, whereby the hopper wasn't rotating very well. On taking it off to examine/clean the burrs, the threads got a very "metal on metal" feel....and examining the hopper threads showed there was some apparently pre-chrome damage to the hopper side.

I'm sure this could well be a one off, but examining this area has me wondering about the longevity of chrome hopper threads running in aluminium body threads. The hopper threads seem to be quite rough after chroming, and (alongside the aluminium damage from the corrupt threads on my unit) seem to be generating quite a bit of dust from the aluminium in general. I was just wondering if there are any thoughts on this....long term, it would appear to be an area of possible issue?

Apart from this the unit has been pretty great. I would like to see perhaps a finer reference scale and needle pointer and a lockable collar, but apart from that it seems a great starting point for hopefully a long Niche line.

Similar set up in Mazzer doesn't seem to cause problems?

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

It does if you crossthread it.

T.

7 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Similar set up in Mazzer doesn't seem to cause problems?

Thanks....I have never seen the Mazzer units internally, but that is interesting to know. It was only when taking the macro shot of the thread damage on the hopper to send to Niche that I noticed that the chromed hopper threads ran quite rough. Cleaning out the threads revealed quite a bit of aluminum dust. I thought at first that this may either be graphite grease (it may have been this also?), but on regreasing with clear silicone grease, it dirtied up with aluminum straight away. I have no idea if it would be a problem long term or not, I just thought it a point of note. I guess even if they did wear down the line, the top part of the case could be replaced.

As a side note, and being new to the forum, many thanks for the work you have done informing both here and on your blog. I particularly found the detailed Niche review and the E61 service info very helpful. Cheers.

7 hours ago, dsc said:

It does if you crossthread it.

T.

Is it possible to crossthread it? I'm not sure it is (easily)....you would need some force and intent. See above for more detail on what I am referencing. Thx.

He was talking about Mazzers, they are easy to crossthread because the thread is quite fine and you have a lot more spring pressure. Niche is not easy to crossthread.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

6 hours ago, DavecUK said:

He was talking about Mazzers, they are easy to crossthread because the thread is quite fine and you have a lot more spring pressure. Niche is not easy to crossthread.

Ah, thanks....apologies dsc, I misunderstood.

On 14/05/2019 at 11:25, Planter said:

Why would you though when single dosing?

To get more even grind 😉 I never load my EG-1 with out motor is spinning, with conical grinder its even more important  

Is it possible to crossthread it? I'm not sure it is (easily)....you would need some force and intent. See above for more detail on what I am referencing. Thx.
No idea how easy it is on the Niche, but it is possible on any threaded collar. As Dave mentioned, Mazzer has four springs which push the collar upwards to reduce slack in the thread (good idea) but it also means that you have to push on the collar quite hard to engage the thread and this makes it prone to crossthreading.

T.
  • Like 1

My main not like is the on/off switch on the side as most kitchen utensils are front mounted, and if space is tight it sticks out and can get caught when you are moving things next to it. 

I'd rather it was somehow incorporated into the front badge and lit up the logo when powered on.  It might cast a niChe logo shadow onto the workspace. 

And the other thing - no Niche SubForum, yet...  :good:

• Like 1

On 28/05/2019 at 10:19, Agentb said:

And the other thing - no Niche SubForum, yet...  :good:

Oooh look ... a new Niche SubForum has adopted this thread.  :good:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

With regards to popcorning and single dosing causing a wider grind distribution has anybody else had a read of this: https://coffeeadastra.com/2019/04/12/grind-quality-and-the-popcorning-effect/ (although its a forte that is used i'm pretty sure results could be likened to other flat burr grinders) seems to make a fair bit of sense and has decent data to back it up. I single dose my mazzer royal, with a modded doser I get like 0.3g retention on average, I did have a little anxiety about the effect my single dosing was having on grind distribution due to the lack of weight above the last couple of beans but I’ve never noticed much of a difference in the cup or pour when running a full hopper and this seemed to back that up.

Edited by Rakesh
  • Like 1

Beans>Grinders>Machines

With regards to popcorning and single dosing causing a wider grind distribution has anybody else had a read of this: https://coffeeadastra.com/2019/04/12/grind-quality-and-the-popcorning-effect/ (although its a forte that is used i'm pretty sure results could be likened to other flat burr grinders) seems to make a fair bit of sense and has decent data to back it up. I single dose my mazzer royal, with a modded doser I get like 0.3g retention on average, I did have a little anxiety about the effect my single dosing was having on grind distribution due to the lack of weight above the last couple of beans but I’ve never noticed much of a difference in the cup or pour when running a full hopper and this seemed to back that up.

It's based on a filter sized grind which is way coarser than espresso, so single dosing affects it less. Also, the photo analysis method used is not proven and has never been compared to any other particle analysis method.

T.
  • Like 1

It's based on a filter sized grind which is way coarser than espresso, so single dosing affects it less. Also, the photo analysis method used is not proven and has never been compared to any other particle analysis method.

T.

Cheers, must’ve missed the part where it says it was ground for filter.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Cheers, must’ve missed the part where it says it was ground for filter.
I don't think it does (or I missed it myself), but Jonathan mentioned somewhere in the comments (in reply to my comment) that it was filter grind.

T.
  • Like 3