Junglebert

Niche users, what DON’T you like?

You can’t move round here for people raving about the Niche. But I’m interested in what people don’t like about it. I think I might need one, in as much as I’d like to try single dosing, and I’d appreciate being able to change the grind size easily, so I don’t think there are many options.

The negatives are minimal. For single dosing and a small footprint, at a decent price, its hard to beat, which is why you don't see many people criticising it.

1. It looks like a ken wood

2. Feels a little cheap

3. Grind is a little inconsistent (hence the shake and stir)

However if you want brand new and have less than £750 to spend then there is only one option for you, the niche. Used is a different matter! You can read my thoughts her

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?47170-My-observations-on-the-Niche-Zero-grinder&p=639212#post639212

It’s a little less fanboy than other reviews

AKA Toffee chips

It's not a flat burr... :)

It suffers from the same issue of single dosing that any non augur fed grinder would, so depending on how picky your are needs wdt.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

1. It looks like a ken wood

2. Feels a little cheap

3. Grind is a little inconsistent (hence the shake and stir)

However if you want brand new and have less than £750 to spend then there is only one option for you, the niche. Used is a different matter! You can read my thoughts her

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?47170-My-observations-on-the-Niche-Zero-grinder&p=639212#post639212

It’s a little less fanboy than other reviews

thanks, I’ll give that a read later, if I did have 750 to spend, what would I be buying?

Second hand Ceado/Compak, if you drink light roasts AND happy to run an on demand grinder.

My only concerns are, the motor and gearing / bearing long term, but may not be an issue, the plastic lid, it looks a bit top heavy, better suited to darker roasts as its conical.

keep calm and grind flat

Second hand Ceado/Compak, if you drink light roasts AND happy to run an on demand grinder.

agree I would get a Ceado E37S for the money

keep calm and grind flat

thanks, I’ll give that a read later, if I did have 750 to spend, what would I be buying?

Is this how much they are going from new now? It says £499 on their website / indiegogo.

I’m replying to coffeechaps comment inferring it’s the best thing for under 750 new

Is this how much they are going from new now? It says £499 on their website / indiegogo.
Yep that was always the cost. But there was just discounted or early bird rates.

Yep that was always the cost. But there was just discounted or early bird rates.

Yeah. I thought they’d gone up to £750!

My only concerns are, the motor and gearing / bearing long term, but may not be an issue, the plastic lid, it looks a bit top heavy, better suited to darker roasts as its conical.

It will make a tasty drink with a lighter roast.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I’m replying to coffeechaps comment inferring it’s the best thing for under 750 new

Be clear in your head head what you want ..

Single dose and capability to do brewed - niche , Negs = workflow

Just espresso and you have the room and you are happy to run with a decent amount of beans in a hopper then a good flat burr espresso grinder, may be more tempting .

If you are going to single dose on demand grinder you are back to WDT with that to get a decent poor from it. SO it's swing and roundabouts.

People will rave about the Niche often coz they have moved from a lower end grinder to it ( say mignon or sage ) and it kicks there arse a bit .

Some will not rave about it as they have more expensive flat burrs grinders and prefer that taste and workflow with em.

Alot will come down to preference on workflow and space.

Instagram - rjw_inc

Be clear in your head head what you want ..

Single dose and capability to do brewed - niche , Negs = workflow

Just espresso and you have the room and you are happy to run with a decent amount of beans in a hopper then a good flat burr espresso grinder, may be more tempting .

If you are going to single dose on demand grinder you are back to WDT with that to get a decent poor from it. SO it's swing and roundabouts.

People will rave about the Niche often coz they have moved from a lower end grinder to it ( say mignon or sage ) and it kicks there arse a bit .

Some will not rave about it as they have more expensive flat burrs grinders and prefer that taste and workflow with em.

Alot will come down to preference on workflow and space.

Im not sure the Niche is what I want, I’m currently using a reasonable 58mm flat burr grinder (Macap M5D) it’s a pain to change grind size, but I usually use my Feldgrind when I’m having something other than espresso. I think the Ceado E37S might be more what I want. Thanks as usual everyone for the thoughts

There is nothing that I really dislike about the Niche. If I had my way the retractable cord is not that useful. I would use a longer regular cord. Also, the little red light doesn't add anything and is unnecessary, IMO.

It's my first proper grinder so I'm happy with everything about mine, I don't have anything to compare it to though.

The size and look is perfect for me, also the single dosing suits me very well, I can't imagine any other way.

• Thanks 1

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

The jumpy last few beans, we know this causes inconsistency so they annoy me a bit, but they certainly dont make enough difference to ruin the grind.

I pull one shot a day most days, so I like to get out what I put in on the first grind, this means smacking the plastic lid a bit and tapping the cup on the exit tube - although it actually feels solid I do worry I will crack the lid one day or scratch the paintwork by the exit chute. That said, once I have given it a few smacks the output is usually within 0.1g of the input, which is better than nearly any other grinder out there, especially for the price range.

Oh and I would quite like a lid to make the shake after the grind a bit easier, I like to give it a good shake with my hand over the top, would be easier with a little lid that could sit underneath the catch cup. That may just be my workflow however.

I got it on an early bird, but even at full price for the money there isn't anything else as good and as kitchen friendly as the Niche. Even with the money to get a more expensive grinder I wouldn't change (at least not until the VERY expensive single dosers) I wouldn't change as very few of them are single dose as they are based on commercial settings - for a one drink a day person having beans sat in the grinder means you get worse coffee.

Where are you based? Could you possibly have a loan of one for a few days to see how you feel about them?

I personally don’t have any issues with mine. My only criticism would be it can sometimes be messy. Seems to expel chaff from under the lid. A neat rubber seal could have solved that perhaps.

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Where are you based? Could you possibly have a loan of one for a few days to see how you feel about them?

I personally don’t have any issues with mine. My only criticism would be it can sometimes be messy. Seems to expel chaff from under the lid. A neat rubber seal could have solved that perhaps.

Cheers Joey, messy was one thing I was hoping to avoid, I’m finding my current set up too messy, so though single dosing might stop that.

Cheers Joey, messy was one thing I was hoping to avoid, I’m finding my current set up too messy, so though single dosing might stop that.

It’s not enough to put you off, but was just slightly more than I expected. A weekly sweep takes care of it

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

It's one of the lest messy grinders I have ever owned, if that helps... the bits that escape from under the lid are very few and far between in my experience.