MrLatte

Thinking of ordering Foundry Coffee - RIO MAGDALENA - COLOMBIA?

Hi all,

So my last bag of beans where RAVEs Fudge Blend and while it was a lovely coffee like others I couldn't quite get the fudge notes so this time I'm thinking of trying Foundry Coffee Roasters RIO MAGDALENA - COLOMBIA as it sounds amazing.

I had a small pouch of coffee beans a while back from a shop which had buttery notes and while I never thought that sounded great I absolutely loved that taste! So that along with chocolate, raisins and caramel just sounds bloody amazing!

I was wondering though, has anyone got any ratios they want to throw in from past experience if I order these so I could try them out? I usually start on a 1:1 over 32 seconds or so and go from there. I've got a Gaggia Classic with Mr Shades PID and a Mazzer Super Jolly

When I had it, was on a typical 1:2 in 25-35.

It was a tasty espresso.

One to one is too strong and under extracted for my taste buds. Try where you like to start and adjust from there.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

When I had it, was on a typical 1:2 in 25-35.

It was a tasty espresso.

One to one is too strong and under extracted for my taste buds. Try where you like to start and adjust from there.

Haha was a typo, I did mean to write 1:2 ratio and I usually put 18g of beans on and extract 36g (well attempt to anyway, but usually extracts 38 by the time it stops) would you say the notes on these beans are close to the actual taste?

My recent recipe after a 3-sec pre-infusion has been 19.5g > 42g in around 27 seconds. So marginally over 1:2

And very nice it is too.

Enjoy.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

I found it was too much raisin and not enough chocolate/caramel for my taste buds. But if that doesn't put you off, it is indeed very nice.

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

My recent recipe after a 3-sec pre-infusion has been 19.5g > 42g in around 27 seconds. So marginally over 1:2

And very nice it is too.

Enjoy.

Brilliant, now pre-infusion isn't a feature on my mr shides PID so I wont get that exact taste but I'll definitely try that ratio and extraction time :)

I found it was too much raisin and not enough chocolate/caramel for my taste buds. But if that doesn't put you off, it is indeed very nice.

Thanks for the input, did you experiment to alter the notes at all? Would you say the butter notes came through?

I really enjoyed these beans and will be ordering again. I went for 18g in - 40g out. was a slightly slow shot at over 40seconds including pre-infusion but it was delicious

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

Thanks for the input, did you experiment to alter the notes at all? Would you say the butter notes came through?

Sadly I did not experiment, too inexperienced with espresso making when I got those beans. Half the time I just used my bean to cup. But now I think I will try it again and experiment a little more, I do have some more experience now than I did then.

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

It was a difficult bean to get dialled in with my Mignon & Gaggia but am also tempted to order it again and see how others got on.

Did anyone managed to get some nice brews via the V60 or French press with it?

I am on this at the moment. I have also had difficulty getting it dialled in but when I get it right it’s an absolute corker. I have gaggia classic without pid and I know my prep is inconsistent but in general I found a longer extraction worked best. I did 16g in and 33-34g out in 35-40 seconds brought out the chocolatey notes whereas shorter extraction gave more raisin.

Gaggia Classic (2006), Eureka Mignon MK2