RobW

Having a tough time removing an anti-vac valve

My Londinium R has an issue with the anti-vac valve not sealing. Reiss has advised to remove it to see what the issue is. He has said to loosen by hitting the 17mm spanner with a hammer. I have given it a go as hard as I dare with no joy. Reiss has said to hit it harder. I don’t suppose their are any experienced forum folk in the Oxford area who would be able to give me a hand? I just got this lovely machine and I don’t want to break it!

Londinium R and Kafatek MC3

just hit it harder on the spanner. there is no other trick to that. sometimes it helps if the machine is warm (but still no pressure in boiler!).

just fix it

My Londinium R has an issue with the anti-vac valve not sealing. Reiss has advised to remove it to see what the issue is. He has said to loosen by hitting the 17mm spanner with a hammer. I have given it a go as hard as I dare with no joy. Reiss has said to hit it harder. I don’t suppose their are any experienced forum folk in the Oxford area who would be able to give me a hand? I just got this lovely machine and I don’t want to break it!

The answer when things don’t do what you want them too is always to hit them harder.

I wondered if it has a thread sealant - if so, heating it up will help. A very hot hairdryer works wonders.

You are gong to feel to good when you crack this ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

A 17mm socket + long bar can be more effective: Jerk the bar - don't pull it

Short handled ring spanner all the way ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I have ordered a half moon ring spanner which I am hoping will give me a better angle to hit it. I had waited for it to cool right down but might give it a go warm if I still get no joy with the new spanner.

Reiss has said no sockets, it needs a sharp hit with a hammer on a spanner rather than leverage to avoid distorting the boiler

I have ordered a half moon ring spanner which I am hoping will give me a better angle to hit it. I had waited for it to cool right down but might give it a go warm if I still get no joy with the new spanner.

Reiss has said no sockets, it needs a sharp hit with a hammer on a spanner rather than leverage to avoid distorting the boiler

Yes, the machine is better cooled down. Just heating the joint may help ;)

Hope the spanner does the trick :)

Posted (edited)

Don't forget it's lefty loosey. A ring spanner will be better than a half moon as less chance ofit slipping. If all else fails, uou could takeit down to a local garage for them to undo with their impact gun. They'll have a 17mm socket for VW wheel nuts.

Edited by ashcroc

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Definitely shock it off a number of sharp raps with a hammer will do it. Each time you shock it you can gradually break any threadlocker free. I'd prefer to use 20 sharp raps, than 3 big hits!

I do have an impact driver, but I suspect your too far away from me.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Can you wait till Tuesday or Wednesday?

AKA Toffee chips

Just heating the joint may help ;)

But lighting it is best

Definitely shock it off a number of sharp raps with a hammer will do it. Each time you shock it you can gradually break any threadlocker free. I'd prefer to use 20 sharp raps, than 3 big hits!

I do have an impact driver, but I suspect your too far away from me.

i will try more sharp raps rather than big hits and see how I go. Reiss is most insistent that this will work.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I will report back tomorrow

Ta da! Lots more hammer strikes got the job done. It took about 2-3 minutes of constant striking but finally it moved. Nothing obviously wrong with it but despite cleaning it still leaks. Such a simple part that it is hard to believe it can go wrong.

IMG_0576.jpg

The rubber o-ring is probably damaged. Just buy & fit a new one- it's an industry standard part. Use teflon tape to seal it. Ebay is your friend

If you look closely e surface of the 'O' ring looks rough.

As Es/ tech said, replace the 'O' ring. and make sure the seat is clean.

The Vesuvius uses a memory metal vacuum valve, very innovative and quite clever. ;) 1/4 inch, might make a good replacement. Positive close and open, stainless steel and some titanium as well of course. They cost about 5 to 6x that of a standard vacuum valve.

9V6901.jpg

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

The Vesuvius uses a memory metal vacuum valve, very innovative and quite clever. ;) 1/4 inch, might make a good replacement. Positive close and open, stainless steel and some titanium as well of course. They cost about 5 to 6x that of a standard vacuum valve.

That sounds like a great solution, and as 1/4" I assume that would fit the LR? Any idea where can I get one?

That sounds like a great solution, and as 1/4" I assume that would fit the LR? Any idea where can I get one?

If anyone is buying a Vesuvius near you, they could ask Paolo to put one in the box at a factory price...this is because the suppliers are in Italy.