MrShades

Wanted : Arrarex Caravel

Well, after fiddling with the Caravel at the lever day last weekend I now quite fancy one to look good, fiddle around with, and make a fun ristretto on a Sunday morning.

Looking for a nice one, ideally original - but fully functional and as clean / nice as possible.

Budget, I guess, in the £100-150 region. Ideally with a tamper.

Anyone?

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Well, after fiddling with the Caravel at the lever day last weekend I now quite fancy one to look good, fiddle around with, and make a fun ristretto on a Sunday morning.

Looking for a nice one, ideally original - but fully functional and as clean / nice as possible.

Budget, I guess, in the £100-150 region. Ideally with a tamper.

Anyone?

What time do you wake up.....LOL There is absolutely no chance of finding one in the UK for that price bracket.......you will need to double it.......the one at the forum day was one of the very first Arrarex as opposed to VAM models.....as rare as hens teeth

Plenty on eBay Italy around that - and I’d probably go up a bit.... but I’m not going to post here and say I’ll take anything in any condition for £500 am I..

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

There are plenty on eBay.it if you want to take your life in your hands. These are a machine where there are virtually no tooling parts available. This means they often come with a missing drip tray, cracked handle, missing pf.....there is the odd place you can buy them from, or one that I know of, having owned around a dozen of these. You really have to know a little bit about them to stop yourself getting ripped off. Typical postage cost for Italy to us is 22 to 35 Euros....you try sending it back, if you can!

If you do not mind a bitzer, constructed out of bits that are bought and sold fair enough, but for me, knowing a bit about the pedigree and history is important. A lot of info is available here

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/arrarex_eng.htm

Yup - I know you’ve had a few so thanks for the advice David.

I’m happy to take a while... I just quite fancy a simple small lever and the very simple nature of the Caravel appeals - combined with some thoughts about adding a PID :-). It may end up being a La Pav or Gaggia of some sort, you never know!

eBay.it may be an option - but as you say, a bit of a gamble to say the least. A fixer-upper also appeals to a degree... and I’ve done a bit of research so know the usual issues and challenges.

Anyway - if anyone on here does have a Caravel that is taking up space and that needs a good home, and is going for a good price - then I’m all ears.

Meanwhile I’ll continue to watch eBay!

:-)

Anyone got any Caravel parts going spare?

Ha ha

AKA Toffee chips

Ha ha

Where you getting seals from... Brooks, or somewhere else?

Where you getting seals from... Brooks, or somewhere else?

I bought my last ones from Francescos website. No idea if they are any cheaper than Brooks mind you but his service is good!

I bought my last ones from Francescos website. No idea if they are any cheaper than Brooks mind you but his service is good!

He doesn’t seem to do them now - at least not that I can find.

Have a silicone set on the way from Brooks along with (not cheap!) NPF and 0.25 basket

I bought a set about 3 months ago. Be a zhame if he has stopped

Thanks @dfk41 and @jimbojohn55 - I’ve emailed Francesco

There must be ways to source these cheaper somewhere... hmmmm!

Did I mention that I’m now the proud owner of a very nice Caravel ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)