Notices the steam on my gaggia classic drop very significantly after steaming two small jugs of milk. I’d say I’m making three cups during the third one there is practically nothing coming out, if I knock the machine gently it starts up again then stops. Used to be able to make 4/5 cups of coffee at a time but can’t now. Any ideas what’s up?

Are you refilling the boiler after EACH steaming ???? The steaming capacity on the G-Classic is limited by the very small steam / water capacity at the top of the boiler. If you continue to attempt to steam you may burn out the elements/ boiler.

Has it been de-scaled ? Have you checked the solenoid valve ?

The boiler holds 350 ml of water I think and that isn't much. Two small jugs of milk is about the limit of my gaggia classic ge. As troubleshooting I would switch the 'brew coffee' on to refill the boiler with water right after the problem occurs - if it steams properly than it rant out of water, if not you might have clogued piping but that isn't so probable because you would get poor steam the next time you froth and you would had noticed it already.

Bezzera unica pid, kinu m47

More likely 100 ml :) for the Gaggia alu boiler.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Yeah I've been dreaming a bigger boiler probably :) Checked that again and as you said - The old aluminium boiler has a maximum capacity of 130 ml. The stainless stee boiler has approximately 200 ml water capacity.

Bezzera unica pid, kinu m47

Assuming you haven't fitted a PID (you really should), you could improve the steam pressure a bit by replacing the 145° steam stat with a 155° one. No idea how much more milk it would enable you to steam though.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

So how would you make say 4 lattes in a row, what process would you use?

So how would you make say 4 lattes in a row, what process would you use?
Personally I'd do 2 at a time with a (annoying) cooling flush to get back to brew temp.

Laissez les bons temps rouler