Hi All,

I was watching the James Hoffman video on V60 filter papers...

I currently have the 3rd ones that he mentions (Netherlands), I was interested in trying the 2nd ones (loose plastic wrapping). Does anyone know anywhere online I can buy these from?

Thank you.

Gareth

You can get the 40 boxed Japanese 02 papers from Ocado now.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I've not used the boxed ones, how do they compare to the loosely bagged ones (I originally had the Dutch made ones but found they drained really slowly...)?

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

I've not used the boxed ones, how do they compare to the loosely bagged ones (I originally had the Dutch made ones but found they drained really slowly...)?

Similar, it's only the Dutch ones I think are significantly slower draining.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Similar, it's only the Dutch ones I think are significantly slower draining.

Good to know, thank you :)

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

To add more confusion:

The loosely plastic wrapped filters from the 2nd Japanese factory originally had a different formulation and were as bad/worse than the dutch filters for slow draining. At this stage they should be all sold out but I bought off amazon last year and ended up with a pack of these... You'll know instantly as the drain will be unbelievably slow, even with just water and no coffee grinds.

(Or they supplied counterfeit papers, I don't know if that's a thing - the package didn't scream fake to me)

No real difference as far as I can tell, they feel a bit different to the touch (boxed feel a bit smoother) and they don't have the convenience tab to open them.. But in the cup I don't think anybody would be able to taste a difference consistently.

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

I've been using tabbed for a while now and found some JP non-tabbed I had laying around. Been brewing some naturals from Ethiopia and wasn't too happy with the brews, but didn't try to adjust anything. Then I tried a tabbed filter and got a noticeably better cup. Brew time was a little bit longer, as expected.

I currently got a pretty small sample size, but I think you can find differences.

I've since been using the tabbed (Netherlands) ones with a coarser grind and find they work really well, very clear cup. 

I think I prefer them to the boxed (40s) that are said to have the fastest flow rate.