Hi,

does anyone know where I could get a 53mm levelling tool for the barista express. I have seen that Motta sell one but it is out of stock everywhere in the UK. I don’t really want to spend over £40 (I’m a student).

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Tim

That was fast!

Does that company sell a 53mm levelling too? The one in the link states it is 58mm?

Fast but unhelpful in the end!

I bought looking for a 53mm one (and then just put in the link from my account here). Though you're right it all says 58mm today. The one I got is a 58mm one (d'oh, only just looked at properly now you said that!). I don't know if I was just being dumb of if they'd made a mistake at the time. Sorry I guess they don't currently have a 53mm one, as it's not listed.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I bought looking for a 53mm one (and then just put in the link from my account here). Though you're right it all says 58mm today. The one I got is a 58mm one (d'oh, only just looked at properly now you said that!). I don't know if I was just being dumb of if they'd made a mistake at the time. Sorry I guess they don't currently have a 53mm one, as it's not listed.

As far as I can remember they did have a 53mm as it was just after I bought a 58 and had machined down. Ended up costing more than the Motta lol

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

No worries. I’m not sure why they are all out of stock at the minute. Maybe Motta are discontinuing them.

Find someone with a lathe & get it turn3d down to fit. Joey did some back in his not so busy days.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

That’s not a bad idea. Would have to find someone though. Very annoying as I got rid of my old lathe not too long ago.

I bought one from Amazon.de, although it cost £40 (delivered) and delivery is 1 week

Although they do appear to be delivered for £35 when selected, the delivery price changes to £34 (not including product)!

Must have been an error on the eBay site. Managed to get it on the app for £35. Thanks for everyone’s help!

bella barista sell them, I cant access their website atm it appears to be down. I am sure its def less than £40 including postage.

bella barista sell them, I cant access their website atm it appears to be down. I am sure its def less than £40 including postage.

They were out of stock earlier.

Aldi instant

I’d been looking for ages and kept seeing them out of stock or a rather high price tag. Ended up buying one from a German eBay account paid £27 & £7 postage - arrived in a few days and love it. It’s much heavy than I thought it would’ve been and love each one has its own serial number. 

Hopefully this link is allowed: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273405184731

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sage Barista Express | Acaia Lunar | 200 Degrees ‘Brazilian Love Affair’ | Motta 53mm Leveller & Tamper 

45 minutes ago, RufusA said:

Is this worth getting?  Will it be a noticeable improvement over "bouncing" the portafilter on a rubber mat to level, before tamping?

You'll still want to tap the pf on the mat to settle the dose & level it off some with side taps (with heel of the hand) before using the grooming tool.

You may not need to tamp with a tamper after using the grooming tool if set to the right depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Update:

The leveling tool that I ordered from a German ebay seller finally arrived in the week. Today i have received a letter of apology from the seller explaining the delay which what down to a manufacturing issue and they had to replace their entire stock of the levelers. This could be the reason why it was so hard to obtain one last month.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Having used the distribution tool for a while now, I have one question. Has anyone found that the distribution tool doesn’t adjust low enough? I appear to have mine set to the lowest setting and it is deeper than the ‘razor’ dosing tool that comes with the barista express. I was wondering if anyone else has had this as I can’t find anything about it online.

Tim

2 minutes ago, kwadsncoffee said:

Having used the distribution tool for a while now, I have one question. Has anyone found that the distribution tool doesn’t adjust low enough? I appear to have mine set to the lowest setting and it is deeper than the ‘razor’ dosing tool that comes with the barista express. I was wondering if anyone else has had this as I can’t find anything about it online.

Tim

What is the depth?

The Razor seems to be about 6mm deep, leaving 20mm basket depth for 18g of coffee. So if your tool leaves 8mm proud, try 16g (you might fit 17g) in the basket?

21 minutes ago, MWJB said:

What is the depth?

The Razor seems to be about 6mm deep, leaving 20mm basket depth for 18g of coffee. So if your tool leaves 8mm proud, try 16g (you might fit 17g) in the basket?

I will measure tomorrow but I’m currently getting 19g in probably 3mm deeper than the razor. The results are good but I’m a bit of a perfectionist so don’t know if it could be better.

1 minute ago, kwadsncoffee said:

I will measure tomorrow but I’m currently getting 19g in probably 3mm deeper than the razor. The results are good but I’m a bit of a perfectionist so don’t know if it could be better.

If it's not broke, does it need fixing?

1 hour ago, MWJB said:

If it's not broke, does it need fixing?

Very true. But I have never been on any barista courses or anything like that so I don’t have any definitive idea of what the perfect espresso should look like and taste like so I always assume something can improve it.