Hi All,

New here and looking into purchasing a first "real" espresso machine (i already have a grinder), Mostly drinking Americano's, occasional Espresso generally around 2 - 3 drinks a day so not a huge demand (currently using a Wacaco Nanopresso).

I started off looking at the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia E models (either can be picked up for ~£400), though the further I researched more and more features became apparent of what I might prefer / find useful in a machine to ensure I wouldnt be looking to upgrade in the foreseeable future such as PID, 58mm Portafilter, E61 Group Head which lead me on to the Lelit Mara PL62 which looks like an amazing machine, however this is reaching into the £1k zone and beyond what I was looking to spend.

I'm wondering if there are any other features not listed that ought to be high up on the considerations, or possibly some features here that don't really make that much difference?

what everyone's suggestions are for any machines that have these features that I may find in the used market?

thanks in advance for any advice :)

Have you looked at some of the Sage machines.

Function wise they have a quick warm up time and are pretty temp stable. The Dual Boiler has some rock solid measured temp for instance.

E61 are more self repairable and easier to get parts for.

There are other functions like built in timers or shot timers on some machines (again like the Sage DB) that you may consider useful or not .

For me a machine needs to deliver decent temp stability which is where the classics and silvia's of this world fall down. At new prices I consider both to be over priced and under functioned nowadays.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hi Mrboots2u, thanks for your reply. I have looked at the Sage machines, though it was the Duo Temp Pro I looked at based on cost and not wanting a built in grinder, the Duo Boiler is also stepping into the £1k price mark

I agree on the Classic / Silvia that they seem to be lacking some important features as most people suggest they need to be mod'd with a PID

Can I ask which grinder you have, you'll get better results with a basic machine and good grinder than a 1K machine and poor grinder. If you want a low entry price, simple to use machine, there are plenty on here with Sage DTP's (myself included).

Sage DTP | Santos #4

Hi Mrboots2u, thanks for your reply. I have looked at the Sage machines, though it was the Duo Temp Pro I looked at based on cost and not wanting a built in grinder, the Duo Boiler is also stepping into the £1k price mark

I agree on the Classic / Silvia that they seem to be lacking some important features as most people suggest they need to be mod'd with a PID

There were some offers from retailers being floated on here for the Sage db bringing it in under £800

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hi Pgarrish,

I have the Sage Smart Grinder Pro

Ok, so still in the market to acquire my first espresso machine, I have been having a good look around in the shops (BB would have me spending a lot very quickly) and on the forum.

I think I would like to purchase a machine that is going to last me some time, I don't want to be upgrading within the next few years so have ruled out the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia.

Could you advise if its unrealistic to look at picking up a used HX/DB machine with an E61 group head with a budget in mind of somewhere in the region of the ~£600 mark?

is there a suggested machine that doesn't meet this that would be more highly recommended within my budget?

Also would the Sage SGPro be sufficient enough as a starting grinder with this machine until such a time as I upgrade the grinder? or is it the case that it just doesn't grind fine enough?

I would look in the for sale area and Mazzer grinder.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Hi Jony,

I have been keeping an eye on the forums sale boards for something, but the the E61 machines I have seen seemed to be £1k plus, hence wondering if my budget is realistic for what I seek

Hesitant to upgrade the grinder before I even have a machine as I only recently purchased the Sage (probably should of joined the forum first, but you live and learn)

I know some people money wise can't buy a one time only machine. Something will pop up sooner or later depends how eager you are,haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

yeah, think that's my issue, I have no patience hahaha. I keep looking at the new machines on BB, thinking, this one would be good, but that one would be better and it very rapidly doubles the budget

yeah, think that's my issue, I have no patience hahaha. I keep looking at the new machines on BB, thinking, this one would be good, but that one would be better and it very rapidly doubles the budget
Only doubles? Your not looking hard enough!

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

hahahaha well I could get really carried away!! there are some very nice machines around, but I have to be realistic about my abilities being the restrictive factor in the output. hence setting a reasonable budget and aiming as best as I can to not get carried away without having unrealistic expectations. figure as they are made so well I will get better value for money going used. hopefully whatever I find will be beyond my capabilities of surpassing so that I dont ever "Need" to upgrade, whether or not I choose to down the line. if that makes sense

Only doubles? Your not looking hard enough!

This!! Hahaha.

OP you will find a more than capable machine in your budget,however just be warned that if you keep visiting this forum you may find the "need" to upgrade a lot sooner than necessary

• Like 1

LR, ZM

a Duo Temp Pro would work really well with that grinder. Yes you'll probably get the itch to upgrade after a couple of years (maybe less) but equally, you've not splashed a small fortune to find you're not that bothered. No need for mods or strange workflows with those two either. Not sure if the Glasgow coffee show voucher is still working to get a discount from Sage....

Sage DTP | Santos #4

This!! Hahaha.

OP you will find a more than capable machine in your budget,however just be warned that if you keep visiting this forum you may find the "need" to upgrade a lot sooner than necessary

Thanks Fez, I can see how that could easily happen!! already have me questioning if the grinder will be good enough hahaha.

a Duo Temp Pro would work really well with that grinder. Yes you'll probably get the itch to upgrade after a couple of years (maybe less) but equally, you've not splashed a small fortune to find you're not that bothered. No need for mods or strange workflows with those two either. Not sure if the Glasgow coffee show voucher is still working to get a discount from Sage....

I had considered this option tbh, and i'm sure it could well be a valid option, though I think inevitably I would ultimately be looking to upgrade, hence thinking I would be better to buy something else to start with...(last I checked the voucher wasn't working)

Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2019 at 15:59, pgarrish said:

Nevermind a couple years, I upgraded my grinder to niche just now from that setup, and i was telling myself I won't upgrade for two years, and it's only been 9 months for me

Edited by TheHToad

Ease them in gently..... ;)

So do you use a Niche with a DTP?  How are you finding it?

Sage DTP | Santos #4