Rhys

What pump pressures are folks using?

393-F59-F1-009-B-41-EC-92-A0-999-A058-F6-A36.jpg

Is this from a gauge fitted to the portafilter? I might be wrong (now there would be a surprise.. :rolleyes: ) but IIRC the gauge over reads by 1 bar due to backpressure as a coffee puck lets through so much water whereas the gauge doesn't. I seam to remember this from modding my old Gaggia Classic years ago. If I'm right (would need to check, I'm worse than Wikipedia) then you'd need to have it read 7 bar.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Just when I’ve put it all back together! I had it at 7 and changed it down. Yes, it’s a portafilter attached one, better ge The spanner’s our again.

Unless you like channelling, no.

Hmm I adjusted my classic to 9 bar at the beginning of this year. Maybe I need to get myself back on the list for the pressure gauge that's making the rounds and drop it lower...

Hmm I adjusted my classic to 9 bar at the beginning of this year. Maybe I need to get myself back on the list for the pressure gauge that's making the rounds and drop it lower...

You can borrow mine when I’ve sorted my machine

You can borrow mine when I’ve sorted my machine

@Junglebert really appreciate the offer. Sounds like no one's using the other one that's been making the rounds, so no hurry - let us know how it goes!

I adjusted my pump earlier, and fortunately it's really easy on mine. Just have to make a coffee as usual and turn a screw on the pump then watch the pressure drop on the gauge. Got it running at 6 bar now. Needed a few attempts to get it right, but got there in the end.

Decided to make a few espressos and ground a little finer on the EK. Tried my new coffee from Rave that I picked up at the Lever day, a Kenya Icharmara AB and went straight into pump mode (with auto pre-infusion) and got a nice fruity cup with a grapefruit finish that snook up on me.. Going to hit the other one I bought (Colombia La Cristalina) in the morning to wake me up. Tasting notes say Smooth honey body with a silky acidity reminiscent of pineapple and starfruit.

I've not mucked about with the line pressure which is about 2.5 bar (will need to check as I've just had a water meter fitted), but so far I'm getting good results.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Might change my classic from 9 this weekend and give 6 a try... Luckily I already installed a permanent pressure guage

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

When I used to own Sage Dual Boilers it was simple to do. The first 6 bar shot I had produced fruit from a bean which had been really bland. You soon get used to it though so after the first couple of shots, it just becomes the normal

Might change my classic from 9 this weekend and give 6 a try... Luckily I already installed a permanent pressure guage

That sounds interesting @jj-x-ray ... Is there a thread about it on here?

Edited by Jon_Foster

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

6 bar might be a bit low for my machine, or maybe it’s becuase it’s acutally 5 bar.... flavour and mouthfeel is vastly improved, the crema is lacking a little, so ill

give it a couple of days to see how I get used to it, but initial signs are great

Dropped the pump pressure on my Expobar Leva to 6 yesterday (7 on the gauge, so presumably 6 at the group head) and the couple of shots I pulled certainly seemed pretty good. Looking forward to trying a few more!

Expobar Leva Dual Boiler | Fracino Cherub | La Pavoni Europiccola | Mazzer Super Jolly | Mazzer Royal

Is there a guide to changing the Sage DB to 6 bar flat on here? Might have a go at this over the weekend

Is there a guide to changing the Sage DB to 6 bar flat on here? Might have a go at this over the weekend
Hey mate. You can do it with the preinfusion settings. It depends a bit on your grind size but change preinfusion to be 50 seconds and 70% and see what pressure it gives you on the dial

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

6 bar might be a bit low for my machine, or maybe it’s becuase it’s acutally 5 bar.... flavour and mouthfeel is vastly improved, the crema is lacking a little, so ill

I wouldn't worry about crema at all. If you're getting better flavour and mouth feel, more crema will do nothing for these things

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

I have tried 6 bar on my old Profitec 700 a while ago and I have to say it wasn’t for me.

I've had tried anything from 5 to 10 bar (all measure at 0 flow so max pressure after gigleur). My personal observations:

- Low pressures seemed to me to work generally better with larger gigleurs (0.8 mm), darker roasted beans or longer brew ratios. The oils and fats seemed to separate from the rest of the liquid quite a bit, sometimes even flowing on top of the surface like dots.

- Higher pressures benefited from smaller gigleurs (0.6 mm was my favourite size in the end) and let lighter roasted coffees get more bright. More demanding on puck prep. I didn't like it above 9 bar. Crema was noticeably thicker than in low pressure extractions and ristrettos had heavier mouthfeel.

- Anything around 7-8 bar was OK but it lack a bit of the "extremes" or character that could be brought out by standard pressures. I definitely loved 3 bar cafe crema (120 g from 10 g in 30 s) done with almost filter coarse grind, though.

I ended up with 8.5 bar (almost 1 less than industry standard) and 0.6 mm restrictor, worked in the end well both for cafe cremas and normal espressos. I was never too much of a fan of thick ristretto shots though. All tested on heavily modified Grimac La Uno with external rotary pump with Eureka MDX and Mahlkonig/Ditting EK10.

just fix it

Sharing some experience after going through 200gr of very good coffee:

- i had no significant issues with consistency on 9 bar (of course at the cost of careful prep ritual), but on 6 bar - extraction consistency is amazing. It is safe to say that i can nail any desired recipe once dialed in within 1g/1sec for shot after shot after shot. Havent had any evidence of channeling since went down on 6 bar.

- grinder adjustment resolution had noticeably inproved. I am using 50mm Mignon which is normally too sensitive. On 6 bar you have obviously better resolution for fine tuning, e.g. the tuning knob is less sensitive. This is very good, especially combined with the consistency improvement really makes fine tuning up to 1s accuracy possible while predictable and repeatable.

- crema is not significantly worse. Even if it is somewhat less it has better texture. I have always wondered why my setup produces lots of crema but with “foamy” instead of velvety texture. On 6bar it has moved towards “velvety” which i like.

- taste is very good, but i have had also very good shots on 9bar. Probably the goal here is to have most of the shots to be as good as possible.

- my initial observation that i can grind finer still holds

I just finished this COE winner beans from Brazil and will continue with experiments with three supposedly very good beans from Square Mile. Will keep posted.

So far i am happy, thanks for the great hint!813d827f5f0e326879098f085a489108.jpg

af3bac8b473038f4cb41587f6047e8a7.jpg

Ooooh just went down the pressure ladder on both Rocket Evo II (HX)/Macap MXD and Minima (DB)/Mazzer ZM combos - what a flipping difference!

Didn't adjust grind much (just a tad coarser for the Rocket), kept dose the same. Holy... a mouthful of sweetness!! Love it.

Now onto convincing customer No.1, just need to figure out how to adjust brew pressure on their machine...: https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?50043-Adjusting-brew-pressure-on-a-San-Marino-Lisa