ken0062

Help!! where should I go next

Currently I have a PID modded gagia classic and a baratza preciso.

After spending a lot of time and effort sorting out a doge 63 grinder (see this thread for details) I just cant get it past the kitchen police long enough to even give it a proper try out.

Not sure if i should be looking to upgrade my grinder for a better but more aesthetically pleasing model i.e. mignon, or upgrade the espresso machine to a small second hand e61 head based machine if i could find one.

I know a few people will suggest going for the niche grinder but to me £500 seems a lot to spend on a grinder and I have always been a buy second hand and fix it type of person.

Trouble is whatever i go for cant be to huge or ugly to be refused entry into the kitchen.

Any suggestions welcome.

call the grinder police @coffeechap

Absolutely upgrade the grinder.

Go beyond a mignon for sure.

So are you saying a mignon would not be worth the upgrade over a preciso.

Yep.....the most obvious grinder upgrade, is to something with bigger burrs to try and alter the flavour profiles.....once you accept the and stop letting aesthetics and price rule your decision then life becomes easier. Coffee kit does not need to cost thousands but the stark reality is, £500 on. grinder these days is small change

So are you saying a mignon would not be worth the upgrade over a preciso.

not really - go 75mm or 83mm (flat is my preference) plenty of SH machines about -

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

You can get an used Mazzer Major for 2-300 pounds, paint it and off you go. You can mod it for single dose or use the hopper. Brilliant for the money.

Trouble is these machines will have the same physical prescence as the doge which will then be banned from the kitchen.

So it is still looking like the niche or leave things as they are unless i can persuade the missus to let me use the doge for a trial period.

Trouble is these machines will have the same physical prescence as the doge which will then be banned from the kitchen.

So it is still looking like the niche or leave things as they are unless i can persuade the missus to let me use the doge for a trial period.

FWIW I have a Classic with a PID and when I upgraded my grinder to a Niche (from an Ascaso iSteel) it made a massive difference to the flavour profile of my coffee, you can obviously get better grinders but I'm getting consistently good results so it's definitely worth considering.

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Similar to @Jon_Foster - upgraded from a PID Gaggia + Cimbali Max Hybrid grinder to the Niche and immediately noticed a huge difference in the quality of the coffee and ease of dialling in the beans. Good grinder IMHO is much less diminishing return than a DB machine in terms of the improvement in coffee over price.

Any tools (and techniques) to improve on tamping are also money well spent. For me what helped was stirring grinds for more even particle size distribution, plus a distribution tool (I use a cheap Chinese one from Amazon) combined with a good fit flat tamper (Motta 58.4mm).

Thanks for the replies, getting more tempted to go for a niche now, although my personal preference would be a mazzer major refirb project but i cant see that being accepted.