Giblet46

Is my Gaggias dead? Blew my circuit breaker

Posted (edited)

So after a while of a group head that kept drying up on my Classic I used the flipping the steam gauge on/off to get it going. Finally got round to strippjng it and cleaning the remaining scale from the boiler. On reassembly though it blew the breakers in my fuse box.

Turned out I had another issue (dodgy wiring in a light) that this exacerbated meaning an electrician was called out.

He has condemned the Gaggia ( my partner was in and didn't remember the reason), however I'm wondering what could have cause this? The flipping of the switches, or possibly water on the heating elements (read this is common on baby gaggias that got wet during cleaning). He reckoned would be not worth repairing

Any advice on the way forward?

Edited by Giblet46
Included the model name!

Buy a classic instead, but in the mean time take the case off and leave it to dry out for a couple of days

keep calm and grind flat

Sorry, should have stated I have a Classic, I just read a thread that it can blow on baby.

Now edited my original post,

aha - so just let it dry out 24hrs - if it still trips unplug it disconnect the elements and then try again

keep calm and grind flat

It's the common issue of getting the heating elements (namely the white ceramic) wet during a clean. They absorb moisture then trip the circuit breakers as they're leaking current. There are many threads on this subject.

You can either leave it to dry for a long period. Or try the method that's is highlighted in other threads, which is more risky but works. You disconnect the earth when you wire everything back together, then turn the machine on, being careful not to touch it, the elements will heat up and boil off any moisture (fizzing noise) within about 30 secs. Turn the power off reconnect the earth and see if it still trips out. Don't do this method unless you are comfortable doing it as it carries the risk of electrocution.

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

So a few hours later (I took the boiler apart thurs evening and now Saturday), it's not tripping the fuses any more, though the electricians comments worries me slightly saying it was unsafe, so checked the chassis for any voltage leak to ground and seems safe, anything else safety wise I can check with a voltmeter?!

Ignore the electrician - he doesn’t appreciate the subtle nuances of the Gaggia Classic..... especially a mildly damp one.

I’d wager that if it’s not tripping now then you’re good to go!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

It's the common issue of getting the heating elements (namely the white ceramic) wet during a clean. They absorb moisture then trip the circuit breakers as they're leaking current. There are many threads on this subject.

You can either leave it to dry for a long period. Or try the method that's is highlighted in other threads, which is more risky but works. You disconnect the earth when you wire everything back together, then turn the machine on, being careful not to touch it, the elements will heat up and boil off any moisture (fizzing noise) within about 30 secs. Turn the power off reconnect the earth and see if it still trips out. Don't do this method unless you are comfortable doing it as it carries the risk of electrocution.

This was helpful. Thanks