Sign in to follow this  
BarneyStinson

Hello from Highland's of Scotland

Hi, names Barney.

Love my coffee, never much cared for it as a young adult as all I ever saw or tasted had been granulated sludge. I started with Costa and instantly enjoyed the flat white they served.

For last 5 years I kept my Delonghi Magnifica ESAM 4000.b in good care. I found it made a reasonable shot but that not being able to tamp or get proper access to a group head a little to hands off and took a bit of the fun out of making the coffee. I also detest the steam wand with its panarello style wand that you can't angle. I had so much trouble trying to do micro foam. In the end I took the outer plastic off and just used it without. This helped but I could never get a decent angle to get the milk in my pitcher to make a swirl around and incorporated the bubbles etc.

Apart from that it served me well and after replacing the o ring and re-greasing the brewer unit after 3 years it work like a charm for the last 2. Alas the steam wand has started to constantly drip when on and I saw a deal on the Sage Barista Express that I have been wanting for awhile so I took the plunge and it is arriving tomorrow.

I have sometimes when typing questions about coffee into Google seen the forum come up and have read some stuff as a guest. I thought with my new journey beginning with my new machine I would join and attempt to get more involved and/or blog about my experiences.

I am looking at trying more fresh artisan roasts and would love to hear from anyone who knows of any good choices or even if there are any small home roasters selling or willing to on here.

I also need to try and find the awesome bloke who does the bottomless (naked) 54mm portafilters for the sage.

Anyway once I'm all set up I will update with some pictures on my profile.

Regards

Barney

Sage Barista Express, Foundrycoffeeroasters.com

If only I could afford a rocket and a Gemma roasting machine, that would be living the dream.

Welcome. :)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Good luck with the Barista Express- I owned one for a couple of years and got some pretty good coffee out of it. I am happy to share hints/ tips if that would help. There are so many good artisan roasters to choose from these days and I would see if there are any fairly local to you that you could visit- that was how I started and I got some good deals that way, as roasters give a better price if you travel to them and are generally happy to talk about their wares as passionate coffee people! Not sure how many are operating in the Highlands as a more remote area, but it's worth a bit of research. Best of luck on your new coffee journey:D

Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Hey thanks, arrived today and only had a bag of Costa in cupboard. Took about 8 attempts to get a 60ml 23sec extraction from 18g. Tasted like a shop bought Costa. After struggling with my Delonghi to texture milk I got a near perfect heart on first go with the BE it's a really good wand. I found with the length of the wand and the size of the included thermo pitcher that when resting the wand on the spout it naturally sat at the right depth in the milk to incorporate a bit of air and then a small dip down to finish heating and texturing. Overall very happy. The razors a bit naff and the tamper is not that great.

I just bought CATURRA DE ALTURA, COLOMBIA. Washed Caturra, from cast iron roasted coffee in West Sussex. It mentioned notes of black forest and I was sold. Will need to research a bit more for local roasters. Also have a set of scales on the way.

Do you have any tips regarding the grinder?? Find it very messy indeed.

If only I could afford a rocket and a Gemma roasting machine, that would be living the dream.

You mention you are in the Highlands. MacBeans in Aberdeen are an excellent artisan roaster.

Thanks for that, will check them out.

Glad to hear it's going well. I used to just weigh out 18.5g of beans and 'manually' grind until the hopper ran empty, rather than leaving beans to rest in the hopper. If you press and hold in the portafilter against the grinder button it will stop when you release it, which means you can shake down the coffee half way through and stop it from spilling out everywhere. That way I hardly spilled any. Although the grinder is insulated against heat from the thermocoil I did find that there was a degree of heat transference that made the beans go stale more quickly, which was why I only ever ground what I needed. Hope that helps, best of luck.

Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Sounds like a good idea. I was originally planning to just detach the hopper and put it in the fridge until I saw the pool of beans it leaves on the top of the grinder. Doesn't look like many but every time I would do that would soon add up to a bag of beans. May just measure out, I hate waste.