Jump to content
Steve_M

Restore #2 - 1991 Gaggia Baby

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This is my 2nd Gaggia refurb. I detailed the first one here.

 

For $65 CAD shipped to my door, there was no way I was going to turn this one down. I assumed it needed some love by the description of "it turns on and the the water heats up, but that's about it". It has the exact same internals as the Classic.

 

Here it is, unpacked and ready to see what's wrong with it.

 

 

mLGxk2ql.jpg

 

Popping off the shower screen, it was pretty obvious why this machine wasn't doing anything.

 

8FNlAH7l.jpg

 

The holes in the shower plate were also clogged quite bad.

 

gm8s8iFl.jpg

 

All things considered, the boiler wasn't too bad.

 

KdFMYlCl.jpg

 

After a some scrubbing with small wire and brass brushes, a few cafiza and citric acid baths, most of the parts cleaned up nice. By hand, I used a 4mm drill bit to unclog the ingress and egress water holes on the group head. They were still plenty clogged.

 

Nlh5y2Gl.jpg

 

Now onto the over pressure valve. Unlike the classics that have a hex hole on the adjustment nut, this one required a set of needle nose pliers tips to fit into the outer sides of the nut. It was also seized quite bad and required several applications of penetrating fluid and some heat. This was probably the most stubborn part to deal with in the teardown.

 

mFydVeZl.jpg

 

 

With everything cleaned up and now moving, I got it all back together and calibrated the over pressure valve.

 

TgR98ovl.jpg

 

It was during the OPV calibration that I realized I had another problem to deal with. The integrated drain tube in the plastic housing was clogged quite badly which wasn't letting the water drain. This caused the pressurized water to spray everywhere instead of being sent down the integrated tube and out the front of the machine like it's supposed to.

 

I didn't take any pictures of the unclogging process, but I had to take the whole shell apart and the unclog the drain pipe, which probably took about an hour of jabbing at it with a cut off wire coat hanger and some drill bits. The dried up coffee stuck in that thing was like cement.

 

And now for a little sample of the machine running like it should.

 

https://streamable.com/lvb6e

 

This machine is going to live at my parents place, as my father has been quite envious of the quality of coffee coming out of my Classic. Now they can enjoy the same!

Edited by Steve_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see machines being restored and also satisfying:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About:

    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:

    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

    Terms of Use

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Buy Advertising Space

    Donate

    Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)

×
×
  • Create New...