Steve_M

Restore #2 - 1991 Gaggia Baby

Posted (edited)

This is my 2nd Gaggia refurb. I detailed the first one here.

For $65 CAD shipped to my door, there was no way I was going to turn this one down. I assumed it needed some love by the description of "it turns on and the the water heats up, but that's about it". It has the exact same internals as the Classic.

Here it is, unpacked and ready to see what's wrong with it.

mLGxk2ql.jpg

Popping off the shower screen, it was pretty obvious why this machine wasn't doing anything.

8FNlAH7l.jpg

The holes in the shower plate were also clogged quite bad.

gm8s8iFl.jpg

All things considered, the boiler wasn't too bad.

KdFMYlCl.jpg

After a some scrubbing with small wire and brass brushes, a few cafiza and citric acid baths, most of the parts cleaned up nice. By hand, I used a 4mm drill bit to unclog the ingress and egress water holes on the group head. They were still plenty clogged.

Nlh5y2Gl.jpg

Now onto the over pressure valve. Unlike the classics that have a hex hole on the adjustment nut, this one required a set of needle nose pliers tips to fit into the outer sides of the nut. It was also seized quite bad and required several applications of penetrating fluid and some heat. This was probably the most stubborn part to deal with in the teardown.

mFydVeZl.jpg

With everything cleaned up and now moving, I got it all back together and calibrated the over pressure valve.

TgR98ovl.jpg

It was during the OPV calibration that I realized I had another problem to deal with. The integrated drain tube in the plastic housing was clogged quite badly which wasn't letting the water drain. This caused the pressurized water to spray everywhere instead of being sent down the integrated tube and out the front of the machine like it's supposed to.

I didn't take any pictures of the unclogging process, but I had to take the whole shell apart and the unclog the drain pipe, which probably took about an hour of jabbing at it with a cut off wire coat hanger and some drill bits. The dried up coffee stuck in that thing was like cement.

And now for a little sample of the machine running like it should.

https://streamable.com/lvb6e

This machine is going to live at my parents place, as my father has been quite envious of the quality of coffee coming out of my Classic. Now they can enjoy the same!

Edited by Steve_M

Nice to see machines being restored and also satisfying:good: