Hasi

Long Road to Cirencester

Welcome back!

137f0422bc14d7dc2d85887ef468f71b.jpg

who am I?

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

who am I?

This film is my soundtrack for Le Mans, and life in general.

Alas we didn’t get enough time to chat...

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Hasi’s next trip...

[video=youtube_share;nXYdNwPf-w0]

to Mars? erm...

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

That facial hair hasi grown haha, sure you was clean on Sunday.

Definitely not clean now, how else do you think he could have driven that far with no sleep

AKA Toffee chips

Definitely not clean now, how else do you think he could have driven that far with no sleep
I had the exact amount of 0 coffee today

says Hasi.

And NO flipping Ice Cream

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

And NO flipping Ice Cream
sad but true...

says Hasi.

Exactly

AKA Toffee chips

I have a theory... 3000km? (Isn’t that about 15 miles? :rolleyes: )

Over on the continent petrol is about 6d a gallon so for a few tanners you could cross continents. Then once you touched wheels onto old Blighty, and saw how much our fuel was and panicked. Seeing your old V8, the garage attendant was looking forward to closing early with pockets bulging. It was decided that the AA would be far cheaper an option and in a thrice you whipped off the rotor arm and announced ‘oh dear, it’s broken. whatever can I do..’

Go on, tell the truth:whistle:

Either that, or the old Rover in the grips of nostalgia on coming home fell to bits to commemorate its proud history :D

Glad you made it though, and more importantly made it back. :)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Ha!

the Rover must've thought let's better break down on a British road since parts can't be that far!

Truth is, petrol is roughly the same here and there... oh just fell asleep typing, better get some rest!

says Hasi.

The walnut brings back fond memories. I worked on the Rover Sterling (800) back in the day, when I was actually working in Cirencester. Nice car, if only the build quality had been better.

Oh yea, it looks like I've smoked a few seals/gaskets along the way. Miss Sophie (as the car once has been christened) drips from different areas I need to go after, anytime soon

says Hasi.

Oh yea, it looks like I've smoked a few seals/gaskets along the way. Miss Sophie (as the car once has been christened) drips from different areas I need to go after, anytime soon

Clicked Like, but I don’t mean I 'like' . . . miss S still did you proud when all’s said and done

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

All older ladies take a lot of looking after :) and too much money

Thought you was on my birthday thread there for a minute

Thought you was on my birthday thread there for a minute

Whoops, wrong thread .... :) , well sort of ? I knew you’d link it :)

and they drip, is what you mean?

says Hasi.

and they drip, is what you mean?

There are special absorbent towels for that ... you can buy them for a tenner ...

There are special absorbent towels for that ... you can buy them for a tenner ...
Tena for a tenner... nailed it!

says Hasi.

Maybe doesn't ultimately belong here, but somebody said 'hooray a car resto thread' a while ago, so I'll just continue...

Two things happened on my way back, apparently: a nice oil leak stemming from the valley gasket, I meanwhile presume. And a failing alternator.

The latter got cooked by the AA guy who erroneously thought old-British-vehicle-positive-earth and attached his starter battery the wrong way for a second too long. It worked for a little longer so I can't really go after that case. What I tried to go after, though, was a replacement regulator. Without success, so I got me a complete and refurbished unit and some engine rebuild gasket set.

IMG_20190608_180921.thumb.jpg.76f156408dcd63dd47179e68b1350093.jpg

To be on the safe side, just in case I fall into a disassembly frenzy... but many around here know about the importance of seals and gaskets

Alright then, after today's roasting, delivery and lawn mowing sessions I brought family to bed and kicked off alternator exchange.

IMG_20190611_032532.thumb.jpg.e6c5e52aff8fec8fb1acd620fdef0974.jpg

Oh, erm those two look a tiny bit different never mind, me thinks, I've just seen the original Lucas plug...

IMG_20190611_032659.thumb.jpg.410f723a3915a5310e6ac233bf3bd760.jpg

...had been retrofitted. In a veeery bad way.

IMG_20190611_032603.thumb.jpg.7b472ff61f1baf03251b012c0d5886f2.jpg

Simply soldered onto the old-style connector loops and wrapped in a bit of insulating tape I believe that tape was holding it together... but you know what? It did fine for at least 15k kilometers, dunno how long it lasted already before I bought the Rover... maybe that was factory standard

IMG_20190611_032726.thumb.jpg.e1483b5ade54d4a38c30c3dbfbed2c1e.jpg

Anyhow, put the new guy in, correctly. And went for a pretty satisfying test drive...

IMG_20190611_032804.thumb.jpg.0be6d606941c0c0add18218bd4ef2d78.jpg

Next time it is gasket time!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

says Hasi.

Posted (edited)

Good to see the old shark eating up the road 👍

I suspect the dodgy wiring was a main dealer bodge job, Lucas Alternatiors of that era were almost treated as expensive disposable items and Lucas (aka The Prince of darkness)  probably wanted it that way.

Interestingly Lucas made a short documentary about one of their technicians traveling the world with spare parts, providing advice  and know how 🤘

https://youtu.be/c3lizKN5aNc

Edited by jimbojohn55
  • Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

Ha!
Yea that looks about right...

I didn't mention how well that soldering badass also tightened the belt pulley nut. It says 4.15kgm max in the workshop repair manual, so around 40Nm. Well it took my whole bodyweight, a large ratchet and a vice - as in changing tyres...

Re old shark, if you could only hear it! It's more like a dinosaur eating, or actually slurping up the fossil fuel dinosaurs in the tank. With medium appetite. But farting like a madman.

• Like 3

says Hasi.

Hey what happened to project pick up?

• Like 1

AKA Toffee chips

Hey what happened to project pick up?
Looking at a couple more later today!
Will keep you posted... but now that you've mentioned it let's give a short heads up:

in an effort to make me drive more and fix less I'm looking to replace the Rover V8 with a Chevy pickup truck from the 70s. Obviously it'll still mean maintenence and repairs BUT there are no Lucas parts, a spares dealer around the corner and tax benefits when being used as a company car for it is a truck and not a passenger vehicle.
Plus it'll stick out in traffic even a bit more, so slamming our logo on will create more attention. Another classic car enthusiast lately mentioned something really important: with a sports car you'll always have 'enemies' on the road. With an old pickup truck you'll create sympathy. No matter what engine it's got in.

Even though switching from this sleek executive fastback to a bulky hillbilly long-bed (aerodynamics like the container it shipped to Europe with) the most important thing won't change: both V8s share the same firing order
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

says Hasi.