Hasi

Long Road to Cirencester

Posted (edited)

I thought I'd put out a little documentation of a big adventure, my road trip to this year's Forum Lever Day in a 1983 Rover SD1.

a5b7a173b04d8b2c4c9c95f0be2b3470.jpg

In principle we're almost ready to go. Technically there's a few minor tasks left to do. They include motor and differential oil change as well as replacing rocker cover gaskets.

But then we have the beauty aspect I still want to deal with. First and foremost I need to finish some madness on the interior that I've already started. Months ago that is. So here we go with restoring wooden decor.

552fc614b5f2218b1f226da45733b435.jpg

c04ec7f43aea4bb93dfcadcd8312cebc.jpg

Vanden Plas once started as Belgian coach builders. In this spirit, apparently, they've cobbled these parts together at British Leyland. Oh glory days! Not?!

Anyhow, there are cracks in the massive clear coat all over the place, in some areas veneers have lifted off or cracked along, some edges lacerated. First thing on the list was to glue veneers back where they belong.

6b7b71ad9736f7e5d1bf638bacebf78e.jpg

Next task got a bit more complex. After a bit of sanding it became obvious that Polyurethane paint had been used for the clear coat. This is extremely durable, and not at all nice to your lungs.

Went to my carpenter friend with one of the parts to discuss alternatives. He gave me this here metal piece, in English they call it a draw blade (thank you dictionary!).

b4ac8ef1875fb7462169f56b18040a4a.jpg

Still a shiteloaf of work, as well as it can be harsh to soft edges. So I got me some pickling agents/paint stripper. I'm off to the garage for a trial run now...

Later, I shall pin up a few details of the trip!

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Posted (edited)

Cool a car resto thread...

My grandad had an sd1....3.5 flipping litres, V8.... Incredible! Very smooth with a wonderful velour interior

Good luck

Edited by jj-x-ray

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Fantastic

Really looking forwards to the journey - in every sense of the word!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Posted (edited)
Cool a car resto thread...

My grandad has an sd1....3.5 flipping litres, V8.... Incredible! Very smooth with a wonderful velour interior

Good luck

3500 here as well

The hint was at [rocker coverS]

but a leather interior which (who would've thought?) also needs a refurb... maybe I find time for that before the journey

EDIT: just to let you know, this apparently was my 3,000th post!

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

I’m a big V8 fan, had a Grand Cherokee 5.7 until recently, and when I had too much money before I got married, I had a Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 just for shits and giggles. There’s nothing quite like the sound of a V8 gulping in air and getting its self excited.

I’m a big V8 fan, had a Grand Cherokee 5.7 until recently, and when I had too much money before I got married, I had a Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 just for shits and giggles. There’s nothing quite like the sound of a V8 gulping in air and getting its self excited.
Absolutely, especially the classic 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order

says Hasi.

On with my Blue Blistering Barnacle...

Yesternight saw me getting tangled up in other stuff rather than stripping paint.

There was this fiddle getting decor off the dashboard without removing the latter... using my phone as a mirror I accidentally took this pic:

8eb91fd9af0eb1ef246dce69c3862e44.jpg

Oh boy it was only then when I realised how much more gluing veneers there was necessary. So, back to the clamps.

318f1844a2be319076bded83640e1bd5.jpg

And upon removing the (very worn) protective plastic foils behind the door cards, I remembered I should finally emergency-repair this broken door handle on driver side. So I took out my crappy old soldering irons that I only keep for such unintended use. With the pin tip I spot welded the crack back in place, then grabbing surrounding material with wide tip for a nice and awful smudge. Bent two braces from perforated steel tape and welded in on backside to add strength.

Nothing to be very proud of, but it should do the trick until I can find intact replacement. Which is a pita by now.

eac88e089bdf3c50d0ca1a433ead355b.jpg

1f111055895960fe8af391ab2ca56d00.jpg

Steel tape will be painted tonight, ugly seam will be hidden away from any view thanks to perspective and shadow. At least I'll be able to slam that door as it was meant to be

says Hasi.

The forum day is about 2 weeks away you know mate

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

The forum day is about 2 weeks away you know mate
less than that

way less

But I need the pressure!

Ha, naah, going to strip paint tonight, by tomorrow evening the first two layers of clear coat shall be on

says Hasi.

As for the travel...

First leg: I'm taking off around noon on 26 April, soon to hit se German Autobahn. Munich - Stuttgart - Saarbrücken. 750km, one stop. At nightfall I shall arrive in France, making my bed and posting an update just south of Luxemburg.

I didn't really mention yet, I'm sleeping in my car. Just like Roxette. Going to bring a sleeping bag and a bit of a mattress - the good thing with an SD1 is that its rear back rest folds flat, giving you around 190cm of cargo... erm... bedroom!

Okay, then I'm eagerly awaiting my el cheapo 12V water kettle. Hot water means coffee, obviously. Still undecided whether to bring V60 and small gooseneck or Aeropress, leaning more towards the AP today!

to be continued...

says Hasi.

V60 now there would be an engine!

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

There’s nothing quite like the sound of a V8 gulping in air and getting its self excited.

here's a snippet from last autumn - Mr. Professional please excuse the meh sound quality :D

says Hasi.

As for the travel...

First leg: I'm taking off around noon on 26 April, soon to hit se German Autobahn. Munich - Stuttgart - Saarbrücken. 750km, one stop. At nightfall I shall arrive in France, making my bed and posting an update just south of Luxemburg.

I didn't really mention yet, I'm sleeping in my car. Just like Roxette. Going to bring a sleeping bag and a bit of a mattress - the good thing with an SD1 is that its rear back rest folds flat, giving you around 190cm of cargo... erm... bedroom!

Okay, then I'm eagerly awaiting my el cheapo 12V water kettle. Hot water means coffee, obviously. Still undecided whether to bring V60 and small gooseneck or Aeropress, leaning more towards the AP today!

to be continued...

I always found it better to travel through Belgium & crossing the border at Dunkirk instead of France as it avoids the toll roads.

Reading about your trip is making me want to pootle back down to Bavaria again.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I always found it better to travel through Belgium & crossing the border at Dunkirk instead of France as it avoids the toll roads.

Reading about your trip is making me want to pootle back down to Bavaria again.

oh just you wait for the details of leg 2 mate

says Hasi.

less than that

way less

But I need the pressure!

Ha, naah, going to strip paint tonight, by tomorrow evening the first two layers of clear coat shall be on

looks like no chemical paint stripping tonight as there's nothing reacting with whatever the fork is on there

f29cc60592297fb0d45bb314fdbb67cb.jpg

First, paint stripper purchased at paint shop after showing them one of the parts... didn't work.

f684fe93fb06f0ea157b8ded8da04997.jpg

Even though I wrapped it up.

b0433518cfab791560a3a36212e5e7f6.jpg

So I tried with

- turpentine

- acetone

- erhyl alcohol

and the only difference being my test object is cleaner and shinier than ever.

Well then, grabbing the blade later on.

says Hasi.

Posted (edited)

I've been removing some old (non-standard) paint from the rocker covers on my 1982 Guzzi Le Mans with paint stripper I bought from eBay. This stuff is as good if not better than Nitromors of the era: someone must have found a way to dodge safety standards. I'll bring a little pot to the lever day for you if you want some, or it's https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201464152727

P.S. I've been told to be wary with the 12v kettles unless you've beefed up the wiring to the accessories socket... but you already know that, right? Sleep safe & sound!

Edited by bluebeardmcf

I've been removing some old (non-standard) paint from the rocker covers on my 1982 Guzzi Le Mans with paint stripper I bought from eBay. This stuff is as good if not better than Nitromors of the era: someone must have found a way to dodge safety standards. I'll bring a little pot to the lever day for you if you want some, or it's https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201464152727
oh that is very kind mate

I'll take a look as well as give the old draw blade another try and let you know

says Hasi.

that does sound nice.

good luck with the trip,,, I had no idea you was coming from so far away !

hopefully folk along the way don't think differently when I race through their villages at night

thanks mate, can use every bit of luck! It's well over 1,600km one way

says Hasi.

Now there’s another thing to look forward to seeing next week!

L1, EK43, K30, Torr Titan, VST.

Now there’s another thing to look forward to seeing next week!
a big grinder

says Hasi.

Does your speedo have the mph markings or are you going to be calculating the 5/8 conversion from km/h once you get this side of the channel?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Does your speedo have the mph markings or are you going to be calculating the 5/8 conversion from km/h once you get this side of the channel?
No it doesn't - I like the higher numbers better anyways. Looks faster

c3bc4051d7b7289d85814c477d75abd5.jpg

when I took a Mini to Cornwall I put a sticky note on the speedo. It said 35=50

says Hasi.