biggow

Question for the Minima owners/experts out there

Somehow the service boiler must think the autofill probe is grounded....odd that it worked OK and now does not work. Or did it never fill for you and was perhaps only filled when BB tested it? You didn't mention that you had steam and hot water working once and because I replied on my phone, I didn't have the user guide to hand. If wish you had said this before as, I wouldn't have suggested turning the service boiler on. I don't usually reply when the information is sketchy for this very reason.

Remove top plate of machine 6 screws and take photograph....I am unwilling to suggest anything else until I can see the top of the service boiler. I'm wondering if the autofill wire has come off the spade connector and is grounded preventing it filling.

Oh I suspect your not using the latest version of the user guide (I checked the text you wrote and the number and it's not the same)....it's on version 1.6, grab a copy here and there is a smartphone version in sway as well.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius/owners-manual-acs-minima-t258.html

P.S. The more information you give, the better I can help, if you noticed anything, sounds, something not looking right, whether the service boiler ever filled etc..

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

6 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Somehow the service boiler must think the autofill probe is grounded....

I did take the top cover, as well as the surrounding metal cover off due to seeing a lot of moisture coming from the inside of the machine upon arrival. I suppose it could have been wet with condensation because they shipped it full of water... that was a surprise to me! And quite concerning as this is my first espresso machine.

As you know, when you remove the side cover, the power plug needs to be disconnected from the leads, so I did. I remember only the blue and black cables connected, but I figured I may have unplugged the green one (connected to external ground) as I moved the cover away. Anyway, after drying out the inside, I reconnected all three wires to the power plug. Is that the autofill probe and should I have left it unplugged? Seems unlikely to me. Is there a repair manual available?

6 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

odd that it worked OK and now does not work

To be clear, the one time it worked: I was referring to steam out and hot water out. I suspect the water I got out came from the factory. Step 7 refilling the service boiler hasn't worked. The water level did not change, and steam and hot water now do not work.

IMG_0186.JPG

you were right to reconnect the earth lead.

See that metal probe in the top of the boiler on the left, the one with a 90 degree bend in it and the black wire connected to it. that's the autofill probe. the wire is held on by a screw and nut affair to prevent it falling off. If you unplug the machine disconnect that wire then switch the machine on, the service boiler should start filling. If it does, switch the machine off straight away and reconnect it.

Do that first and then report what happens.

P.S, that black wire insulation should be intact and not touching any metal all the way back to the control box.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

When I

1. Disconnect power
  2. Disconnect autofill probe
  3. Connect power
  4. Turn on machine

Nothing happens, it does not start filling the service boiler.

I also have a multimeter handy if you have suggestions what to probe.

Nope, I'm out of suggestions, sounds as if that autofill has either never worked, or a fault developed during shipping. If disconnecting that wire didn't make it fill, then there is a fault that you are unlikely to be able to fix easily. Sorry about that. If you can hang on until tomorrow, I sent a message to the designer, but I am pretty sure he isn't going to come up with anything that you could do yourself.

Sorry to say the obvious, but the internal tank is full of water isn't it, you would be shocked at how people have surprised me before?

DavecUK thanks a ton for your help. I bet it's a shipping issue, since they evidently got it full of water at some point.

If water got in the control box, it might have caused the problem, even though they are fairly well sealed, that's against water ingress in normal use/failures...not during shipping if it was full of water in the tank. If I hear from ACS, I'll let you know if they have any sensible ideas tomorrow.

Just a quick question, I know it's obvious, but again perhaps not. When you say the boiler doesn't fill, I am assuming the pump is not running....is the pump running to fill the boiler and it's not filling, or is the pump not running and that's why it's not filling?

Really unless you have a faulty brain box (doubtful) and there is not damage to the insulation grounding the wire somewhere, when you disconnected it from the probe, the pump should have run.

Well I went further and took out the water tank guard, and loosened out the computer so I could re-seat that black autofill wire. Evidently that was the end not entirely connected. Thanks for saving me that customer service hassle! Everything seems to be in working order.

Now to try a latte tomorrow morning :)

• Like 1

Glad all is well, after messing around. I would email BB and tell them. Really I think all machines should be checked simple. If people don't like it don't buy, would ease the stress of a new person.

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Glad it's sorted, little bit of hassle, but now you will be able to enjoy the machine and really see what it is capable of....especially the steaming ;) Plus the more you use the Minima, the more you will like it...it sort of grows on you.

Glad all is well, after messing around. I would email BB and tell them. Really I think all machines should be checked simple. If people don't like it don't buy, would ease the stress of a new person.

That’s interesting. BB claims (or used to) they bench test every machine. I pretty much doubt they do to be honest, otherwise issues like this one would’ve been spotted.

I once bought a machine from them and I returned in the end for a very minor thing. If it was bench tested, however, they could’ve sorted it out and have avoided the whole issue.

Regardless, BB is my go to place if they have what I need. Their pre, during, and after sales is legendary and second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

That’s interesting. BB claims (or used to) they bench test every machine. I pretty much doubt they do to be honest, otherwise issues like this one would’ve been spotted.

It could easily have disconnected in transit. Though they haven't been adjusting the expansion valves down to 9 bar (at least in some cases) as you'd expect them to if they were bench testing really.

• Like 2

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

I actually bought through espressocoffeeshop.com not BB, as it was the best price for me in the US. I do believe they bench tested it, since the steam boiler was full of water on arrival. It must have been disconnected/jostled during transit