biggow

Question for the Minima owners/experts out there

Hi all,

I've received my Minima today, and have just plugged it in and started the initial start up procedure, and have immediately run into a problem.

The user guide says:

3. Switch the brew switch to the brew position (up)

4. Now move the power switch to the UP position

5. Press and hold the right hand display button for a few seconds until OFF shows in the display...

However, having run through this a couple of times, all I get on the display is NEU, followed by 10.4, followed by Pr-5, and then nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

@Hasi is the only person I know who has one who is logged on ....

@DavecUK may also be able to help.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

You have to wait until the controller has booted, if it is still showing the software revision, you will have reset it to factory settings! I am not sure the factory settings are my recommended ones.

So to switch heating elements off, switch on and wait.....then press an hold the right hand button, the display will then show "off".

if you want to go into advanced settings...switch off, press both PID buttons and then switch on, keep them held in until you see F1 in the display. After which you can go through the advanced settings and check they are as they should be.

P.S. Good thing to do before you actually put the advanced settings back to what they should be...follow the first procedure to fill the brew and service boilers with the heating elements off....then go and do the advanced settings.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Phone Bella Barista in the morning, its a brand new machine you shouldn't be having faults with it. Hope you get sorted.

Phone Bella Barista in the morning, its a brand new machine you shouldn't be having faults with it. Hope you get sorted.

It's not a fault, did you even read what I posted? However I should update the user guide in case people press the right hand button in the first few seconds while it's booting.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Ok, so I've put the brew switch to the up position, moved the power switch to the up position, the PID starts up with the letters NEU, then the shot clock starts. Once the shot clock has started I've then tried pressing and holding the right button on the PID, but nothing happens i.e. the shot clock just keeps counting up, and water comes out of the brew head.

Ok, so I've put the brew switch to the up position, moved the power switch to the up position, the PID starts up with the letters NEU, then the shot clock starts. Once the shot clock has started I've then tried pressing and holding the right button on the PID, but nothing happens i.e. the shot clock just keeps counting up, and water comes out of the brew head.

press the power switch to on (e.g. up position to turn on brew boiler). Wait till the NEU clears on PID screen, changes to temperature of boilers (numbers). Then press and hold right hand button on PID. OFF will appear. No need to switch on the pump.

I have made same mistake and got the PR5 code when tryin to switch boilers off too quickly, so good to know that this has reset my settings, as wasn't sure what that was related to.

Thanks poolfan. That took a couple of goes, as you have to wait a few seconds after the NEU message has turned off.

I've now got OFF on the PID display, but what then, as the next instruction says 'When water flows from the E61 group for 5 seconds move the brew switch to OFF' but of course it's already off in this scenario. Do I switch the brew switch on and run water for 5 seconds?

Yes. Having a dying cat while I wrote that it's a tad out of order. Just use common sense, your trying to make sure the boilers are full before allowing the heaters to come on. On twin boiler machines the brew boilers have no way of knowing if they are full or not, the manufacturer's assume they are...but it's better to be sure.

OK, so if I leave brew switch on for 5 seconds, and run water through the head, once it's switched off the pump doesn't continue to run at all, and water tank level doesn't continue to drop. Do I therefore just assume the boilers are full?

Leave brew switch on until water flows from group for 5s, then you know brew boiler must be full. When you turn brew switch off pump will stop and water will stop coming from group.

If pump continues to run it will just be the service boiler autofilling a Nd that will stop when correct level is reached

OK I'm double checking the manual again now that I can think straight. I am quite annoyed (with myself) that I got that so wrong. Excerpt from the revised manual below and will be available for download soon.

[h=2]Filling the Minima for the first time[/h]

There are a few precautions when first commissioning any dual boiler and it is important to follow these procedures to avoid unnecessary stress or damage to the machine, power on the Minima at step 3 and not before.

1. Fill the water tank with clean water suitable for coffee machines (not high in lime scale forming minerals).
  2. Place a container under the E61 group (no portafilter should be loaded at this time)
  3. Now move the Power Switch to the UP position (coffee brew boiler only). Wait until the software revision has finished showing and the machine is fully booted up (about 5 seconds).
  4. Press and hold the right hand display button for a few seconds until OFF shows in the display (this ensures the heating elements are off).
  5. Switch the Brew Switch to the brew position (up),
  6. Once water flows from the E61 group for 5 seconds move the Brew Switch to the OFF position (down). Water will stop flowing from the group
  7. The pump may continue to run as it completes the fill of the service boiler.
  8. Make sure the water tank water level is dropping and topped up as required.
  9. Once the pump has stopped running, press the right hand display button once and Minima will now start heating the brew boiler.
  10. Move the Power Switch to the down position, wait for both service and brew boiler to heat.
  11. Set the service boiler and steam boiler temperatures.

1. Press the left hand button once T1 (Coffee Boiler) will show in the display, quickly press the right hand button and a temperature in C will show. Press the right (up) and left (down buttons) until you get 93C.
    2. Wait a moment and then T1 will show in the display, press the down button and T2 (Service boiler) will display, quickly press the right hand button and a temperature in C will show. Press the right (up) and left (down buttons) until you get 125C
    3. Wait until T2 shows, continue waiting and Minima automatically exits temperature setting mode.
      1. To go straight to the T2 setting, just press the left button twice.
      2. If at any time you wish to exit temperature setting mode, simply wait for about 3 or 4 seconds

The above sequence helps protect the heating elements, brew boilers in ALL dual boiler machines do not have level sensors and it is why you need to see water flow for 5 seconds from the E61 group. If the machine comes from a retailer, testing prior to shipping could mean, water flows immediately from the group and the pump may only run for a few seconds longer to fill the service boiler. The above procedure assumes a machine with empty boilers.

It is possible an A7 error will pop up once or twice during commissioning with empty boilers, if it does simply switch the machine off (wait 10 seconds) and switch on again.

The revised userguide for Minima

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Asx_Hxo4gvfknxKtgjJbHTgwHIhO

Thanks Dave!

I doubt I would've been of any help in this regard. Only went through the procedure once, obviously, and obviously forgot about it long ago.

Sorry to hear about the cat, though.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Thanks for all your help with this Dave. I'll do the flushing procedure when I get home tonight, then it's straight in with some Rocko Mountain from Foundry.

And I too am sorry to hear about your cat. Mine's been with me 15 years, and I'll no doubt me a mess when she goes.

Thanks Dave!

I doubt I would've been of any help in this regard. Only went through the procedure once, obviously, and obviously forgot about it long ago.

Sorry to hear about the cat, though.

Hasi you were logged on and DaveC wasn’t at the time . Then you weren’t and Dave was ... Magic

Hasi you were logged on and DaveC wasn’t at the time . Then you weren’t and Dave was ... Magic
oh well, and I've already speculated maybe Nikko and Dave to be the same person

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

oh well, and I've already speculated maybe Nikko and Dave to be the same person

Me trolling meself ;)

Me trolling meself ;)

No you can’t do that ... it’s impossible .... where is the evidence

No you can’t do that ... it’s impossible .... where is the evidence

You're right, I won't believe it until I see evidence I can trust. I cannot possibly expect myself to take my own word for it.

I think this system would be aided by an initial startup button and preprogramming of recommended setting etc.

It it would be extremely easy to code.

I think this system would be aided by an initial startup button and preprogramming of recommended setting etc.

It it would be extremely easy to code.

That's good, you knock yourself out and good luck with coding on Gicars autofill controller....they control that quit tightly and charge royally for their coding work!

That's good, you knock yourself out and good luck with coding on Gicars autofill controller....they control that quit tightly and charge royally for their coding work!

Ow dear , really simple to code things like this, and won’t be that complex in the first place.

Why cant it be preprogrammed with recommended settings , surely it is not too troublesome for them?

It would be extremely easy to code but expensive and requires them to invent an entirely new controller with an extra button and provide unique preprogrammed settings for the different machines it's used in...this kind of thing will be expensive and not fitting for the Minima at all....and entirely pointless for any machine when you can just set it yourself quite easily at no additional cost.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe