Sam_d

Single and double basket

Hey so I regularly drink a macchiato and I'm stuck as to weather keep using a double and splitting it in to 2 shot glasses.

The only problem is I throw one shot away and have been wandering wether a single basket would be better.

Now I have a pressurised single basket witch I have used once to make a short with and the coffee isn't quite the same and it seemes to be even messier's some how lol

So I would love some feed back off people who are using or have used non-pressurised single baskets, is it worth buying one or should I just put up with throwing out a shot

Thanks for any help and advice is most appreciated

Posted (edited)

I use a LM Strada (made by VST) single basket & 41mm tamper when pulling the odd single. Prep is a little more time consuming than the double (due to the big shoulders of the basket) but find it's a similar enough grind to my 18g VST to use the same settings on my grinder.

Edited by ashcroc

Laissez les bons temps rouler

A 41mm tamper is that due to the "funnel" shape of the single basket? Also how many grams of coffee is it capable of holding?

A 41mm tamper is that due to the "funnel" shape of the single basket? Also how many grams of coffee is it capable of holding?
Yeah, 41mm tamper needed otherwise you just hit the shoulders. Could probably do with a dosing ring too if being used more often than I do.

It's a 7g basket so a 'traditional' single but can comfortably take a gram or 2 more.

Yeah, 41mm tamper needed otherwise you just hit the shoulders. Could probably do with a dosing ring too if being used more often than I do.

It's a 7g basket so a 'traditional' single but can comfortably take a gram or 2 more.

A dosing ring?? I have a ring that sits on top of the portafilter so you don't spill as much coffee

I was kinda hoping for a single shot basket that that could take up to 12g or would that be a standard double at the mo I have got I believe a 18g and 21g

Also when your pulling a single how long do you run the shot for? I'm used to around 18-19g in 60-65ml out in 30-34 sec

I'm assuming you would cut your shot off quite a bit earlier then 30 seconds

Thanks for you input mate

I do have the double sided plastic tamp that comes with the gaggia classic one side is smaller for the single basket I know it's not the best but do you think this would do. As I'm not overly keen on buying another tamp I already have 4 58mm and that plastic double ender lol

Shot takes about the same time so you get the same extraction but the volume will be lower for the same ratio.

There a loads of baskets around that'll fit a 58mm portafilter & most take a regular tamper. Both decent & IMS do a 10g basket for example & VST make a 15g one.

My double ended plastic tamper lives in a draw as I haven't thought of a legitimate use for it yet other than as a dolls house table.

So you can get a single basket that a 58mm tamp will work with?

Or would it be best to buy a small 12g double and just under dose to around 10g to avoid the tapered bottom of a single basket? Or would this cause a problem.

As you can guess kinda new'ish to espresso but totally uneducated in single shot baskets lol

Also I would of thought that would of led to over extraction

seeing as the water is passing through the puck quite a bit slower if there's say 10g of coffee instead of 18g both extracting for 30 seconds.

Or would it work more like less water but more time in contact with the coffee in the 10g situation,

and more water less time in contact with the coffee so it basically comes out the same??

If you understand what I am getting at lol

Also good idea on the plastic tamp being a table in a doll's House I wander how much it would be worth on eBay advertised as a doll's table many times more then a plastic tamp haha

So you can get a single basket that a 58mm tamp will work with?

Or would it be best to buy a small 12g double and just under dose to around 10g to avoid the tapered bottom of a single basket? Or would this cause a problem.

As you can guess kinda new'ish to espresso but totally uneducated in single shot baskets lol

Also I would of thought that would of led to over extraction

seeing as the water is passing through the puck quite a bit slower if there's say 10g of coffee instead of 18g both extracting for 30 seconds.

Or would it work more like less water but more time in contact with the coffee in the 10g situation,

and more water less time in contact with the coffee so it basically comes out the same??

If you understand what I am getting at lol

Also good idea on the plastic tamp being a table in a doll's House I wander how much it would be worth on eBay advertised as a doll's table many times more then a plastic tamp haha

Under/overdosing can cause theirown problems so I'd probably just get a 10g basket if I wanted to dose 10g. No harm done trying with a basket you already have though. Worst case is a sink shot.

Time is a bit odd as within reason, it doesn't have too much effect on taste compared to other parameters. I've had nice 20 second shots & equally nice 40 second shots before.

When adjusting dose though, a 30 second shot through 7g producing 14g should taste the same as a 30 second shot through 18g producing 36g. Even though the 7g dose produces a smaller shot, it's the same 2:1 ratio & the water has the same contact time with the coffee grounds.

explains dose, yield & time alot better than I can.

Under/overdosing can cause theirown problems so I'd probably just get a 10g basket if I wanted to dose 10g. No harm done trying with a basket you already have though. Worst case is a sink shot.

Time is a bit odd as within reason, it doesn't have too much effect on taste compared to other parameters. I've had nice 20 second shots & equally nice 40 second shots before.

When adjusting dose though, a 30 second shot through 7g producing 14g should taste the same as a 30 second shot through 18g producing 36g. Even though the 7g dose produces a smaller shot, it's the same 2:1 ratio & the water has the same contact time with the coffee grounds.

explains dose, yield & time alot better than I can.
So you would say try a 10g shot in my 18g basket I suppose I never thought of trying that, if it does turn out pretty crap like you say it can just be a sink shot

Thanks for the link I will have a watch

And thanks for your input it has been very helpful especially that video (I hope anyway)

So you would say try a 10g shot in my 18g basket I suppose I never thought of trying that, if it does turn out pretty crap like you say it can just be a sink shot

Thanks for the link I will have a watch

And thanks for your input it has been very helpful especially that video (I hope anyway)

Dont try that, the basket is too big to hold 10g.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Dont try that, the basket is too big to hold 10g.
What would you say is the smallest does an 18g basket is capable of?

What would you say is the smallest does an 18g basket is capable of?

Depends on the basket and how coarse fine you are grinding. 16g might be my lowest. If its a vst basket then 17 not much under

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc