Mandalorian1310

La Marzocco Linea Mini

The thought of researching what machine is best for me is starting to drive me slightly crazy! I’m proud enough to admit I’m a novice and hearing everyone’s opinions about what machine is best and what I need to know is overwhelming!

At the London coffee festival I saw the above machine which does what I need and it’s dimensions fit the area in my kitchen perfectly but the price tag £3,000+ is a little too much for me but I’m almost thinking of getting it just so I have a machine!

Anyone else had any problems or thoughts on this machine?

What other machines have you looked at?

I personally think that once you start looking at the LM kind of machines it’s a style thing, in part, that takes your fancy. Is the LM the style you want . . . There are a lot of machines in the £2-3 bracket which are maybe worth a look.

The trouble asking on here is everyone think their own is The Best machine to have and can’t understand why someone would suggest a different machine.

For me, the style/engineering/method of use/buying experience etc of the L-R are perfect.

Have you sorted a grinder yet?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

The thought of researching what machine is best for me is starting to drive me slightly crazy! I’m proud enough to admit I’m a novice and hearing everyone’s opinions about what machine is best and what I need to know is overwhelming!

At the London coffee festival I saw the above machine which does what I need and it’s dimensions fit the area in my kitchen perfectly but the price tag £3,000+ is a little too much for me but I’m almost thinking of getting it just so I have a machine!

Anyone else had any problems or thoughts on this machine?

I'm sure you can get a nice long thread with legs started, so I'll only make this post. Set yourself a budget, think about the grinder as well in that budget. Sort out the features you want and then think about a machine. As Mildred said, there are a LOT of machine in the 2-3K bracket. Many of them represent far better value than the LMLM in my opinion.

Or if you want the LMLM and like/want the brand...simply go and buy one along with which ever branded grinder floats your boat.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

As a grumpy old git, it is a coffee machine (or status symbol, but as far as that goes they are shite and dwarfed by many others). Th skill in making coffee lies with you, not the machine. Almost any half reasonable grinder and machine is capable of making coffee. The grinder is more important than the machine. An oven just makes cakes from the ingredients you put in!

Save your money matey. Do a bit of research, as Davec says set a budget, try and learn your craft. If you buy used you will not loose as much if you decide it is not for you.

If an LM Mini was actually any good, I would have one!

As a grumpy old git, it is a coffee machine (or status symbol, but as far as that goes they are shite and dwarfed by many others). Th skill in making coffee lies with you, not the machine. Almost any half reasonable grinder and machine is capable of making coffee. The grinder is more important than the machine. An oven just makes cakes from the ingredients you put in!

Save your money matey. Do a bit of research, as Davec says set a budget, try and learn your craft. If you buy used you will not loose as much if you decide it is not for you.

Welcome back.

Apart from the last sentence I wholeheartedly agree wiht you :)

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

You should start looking into one then tbh. They are actually really good.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Ok then go to united baristas there are two for sale, don't forget to update the thread then

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

The linea mini is a great machine. Well built, easily repeated shots, super stable group temps and superb steaming power. I’d caution buying used via anything like ebay and the £3k one on UB seems high for one that old.

Speak to Ollie at North Star. They were a great help to me and they do have occasional used ones pop up (no promises though).

I was in your shoes comparing LMLM and several others. I was looking for a solidly built machine, stable temp, repeatable shots and all things being equal, only a few qualified. In the end, I went with one that has ability to pressure profile and together with recent factory specials, it was a no brainer, at least for me. I wasn't thinking about resale value as the factory deal was already very special!

Kinu M47 Traveler, VST 18g Ridgeless Basket, Vesuvius, Osmio Zero, Acaia Lunar, Nanopresso, Hario Mini-Slim, Nespresso Pixie

You should start looking into one then tbh. They are actually really good.

Having had a GS3 and not being overly impressed by that I cannot see this being any better. Who buys a bottom of the range BMW.....and if you do, you simply wish you had the dosh for a better model. 90% about LM ownership is about satisfaction of brand plus the smile you get when people ask you what you have.

A cheaper option would just be to get Dick tatted on your forehead!

haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Yeah compared to a gs3 they are more akin to a Hilux Vs an X3. Heavy duty over style.

You'll also be looking into that then?

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Yeah compared to a gs3 they are more akin to a Hilux Vs an X3. Heavy duty over style.

But his name is t Richard!

AKA Toffee chips

I do not need to. Would not have one given to me thanks

My milk making machine brings all the boys to the yard,

And they're like,

Its better than yours,

Damn right its better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

My milk making machine brings all the boys to the yard,

And they're like,

Its better than yours,

Damn right its better than yours,

I can teach you,

But I have to charge

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement

I'm currently using an LMLM alongside the Vesuvius.

I'm enjoying it. I am also still enjoying the V. They are both very capable machines that work totally differently. But doesn't mean I'm going to say one is shit because it's different.

If you like the look of it and that's what you want. It's more than capable and will make you a decent cup, as long as you have an equivalent matched grinder and as already stated the correct ingredients.

Having had a GS3 and not being overly impressed by that I cannot see this being any better. Who buys a bottom of the range BMW.....and if you do, you simply wish you had the dosh for a better model. 90% about LM ownership is about satisfaction of brand plus the smile you get when people ask you what you have.

So how much was the tattoo when you got your LM?

So how much was the tattoo when you got your LM?

£2100 for an absolutely mint, 6 month old example that is documented on here. Makes your tattoo look a bit expensive Lee!

Ohhhh, hold on I’ve heard this one before....

This was the one you couldn’t work out how to use and sold on? Sorry lost interest after the five millionth reading of it.

Ohhhh, hold on I’ve heard this one before....

This was the one you couldn’t work out how to use and sold on? Sorry lost interest after the five millionth reading of it.

No, this was the 6 month old one I bought for £2100.......I never had any intention of keeping it.......I used to buy and sell, a little like you but I would suggest I am obviously better at it than you........lessons available matey.......I sold it on as I had no interest and actually felt a little embarrassed owning one.......had I actually wanted one of course, I would have been ecstatic at paying such a low price, but hey ho

sorry nodded off again. What was that?

Am not sure really, but I think you started it.......you have a choice Lee.......stay asleep or trade insults toe to toe.......LOL