MildredM

Unboxing and Set Up - L-R

Just thought I’d share some info here. We can add the bumph about the piston here too @Snakehips

I am about to get my piston out and will take some pics on the way :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

3b280503cb3591d17d164bb8753cac50.jpg

It lands in a very substantial box with several polystyrene panels to keep it snugly in place. I didn’t photo that bit, we all know what polystyrene looks like.

Keep the packing and you never know when you may need it in the future would be my advice.

The printed details are the next thing you see. Read them through so you know what you need to do, Ian.

b405319beb1ab4a5d55ae66e4882845d.jpg

It is a really useful guide with lots of helpful detail.

The machine is plastic wrapped and while it is tempting to keep this on a la plastic seat coverings of years gone by (not that I can remember) it’s probably not a good look.

de61c743bf73bdb78dd416d63a4c4678.jpg

We removed the panels next with the aid of a useful plastic lever and placed them in a sink of hot water.

e56d8a467562b2d8731ca1496aa5213e.jpg

The first glimpse inside . . .

b7a088e829018462b309cc6b0e65fb0b.jpg

You need to remove the red plastic clip as shown in the manual.

f8ee6ffc80e5fa233690cf4554cb7093.jpg

e60569429abb6b99ae08ec746e2f173c.jpg

Then it’s time for a cuppa!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Yay, fancy new things! Do you need more than one, Mildred? :) I'm assuming this is a new one?

Quick Mill Verona      |      Niche Zero      |      AeroPress      |      Porlex Mini

The inside of that looks so tidy. Very impressive.

Im sure you will enjoy.

02684d92c4d4303d466cefb84a961071.jpg

Undoing the bolts now so we can remove the piston.

f8299a6117026e7e9d368d94a1c30188.jpg

111e86e847f148d574839159f9ef8351.jpg

Greasy greasy grease!

d2f55b7725c46f444a222a5aa144e611.jpg

a54b5720c21b56d42dc751fca06c4f58.jpg

Nice legs:whistle:

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

With the piston as clean as a new piston - copious amounts of Fairy, paper towel soon sorted it, then it’s time to reassemble.

Back and side panels then the top . . . And the drip tray too, of course.

Some more nice photos . . .

d991ef3fc78f235ea9738e71635c7ea6.jpg

fe21fe13802f8d541372c7ea8f08744a.jpg

And the factory fitted digital pi system.

197a6ba5e8d3c84f16ec860c6ba9a1a6.jpg

1b2b7c37be81160eacb6df329d265f52.jpg

Ready for take-off

You can hardly see the join .....

59ebd41195f0dd68e387e461adf1f0b8.jpg

Thanks @MildredM, for a nice illustrative post.

I'm going to try and bring in the piston grease conversation from the 'What did the Postie bring today' thread.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

Piston grease conversation from Postie thread...

I reckon it’s worth checking but it’s up to you :)

Didn’t @Snakehips find his was greased up to the nines?

I didn't bother removing the piston. I assumed they would've checked for excess grease at the factory

Sadly, this is not the case.

It is my experience that a new Londinium will ship with a somewhat excessive level of piston grease, ex-works from the OEM. If left as is, I feel that there is a real likelihood of the shower screen and even the basket becoming at least, partially clogged. In fact, they probably are already, as a result of pre-delivery testing. Londiniums used to ship with the group head disassembled and it was obvious for the customer to see any issue and remedy it if necessary. Now that they ship with the group fully assembled, it is not so obvious.

I would advise any new recipient of an L-R to at the very least, remove the shower screen and, with the machine switched off, pump the lever up and down 20 or 30 times as per Reiss' seal lubrication video. This will drive out excess grease that can then be wiped away at the bottom of the group. Always take care when doing this as the returning lever is a deadly weapon if the group is not pressurised. My preference has always been to remove the piston, remove the OEM grease and then regrease more appropriately, again as per Reiss' video.

That should eliminate any possibility of a new owner having a disappointing early experience with what is otherwise a fabulous machine.

Hope that helps.

I had no idea.

So as someone who's been using the machine for a little over a month now what would you suggest I do @Snakehips ?

I'm guessing remove the shower screen and check it? Or should i take it apart and re-grease?

@Fez Well, if you don't think it's broke.... don't fix it!

That said, it would do no harm whatsoever to remove the showerscreen and check it and the bottom of the piston/group for signs of excess grease. With one month of use, I would suggest that most of any excess will have been driven down and, if visible, should be wiped away. Even then it will do no harm to spend a minute giving the lever a few pumps and wiping again if required. If the screen is coated then you will see or feel the grease and as @jlarkin has said, will need to use acetone or some such silicon solvent in order to clean it. There is a bit more leeway if you are using the original screen but, if like many L-R users, you swap out to a 200µ or 35µ screen then, they will be much more susceptible to clogging. Joe is also right that some users will have experienced screens so blocked that they can pop off under the pressure of a group flush. Of course, this can be as a result of their own overly liberal use of grease when re-lubing seals.

I hope that helps.

I wonder if the posts on this might be more useful if we were to have them copied over in the Lever Forum?

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

This was my L-R piston and screen, Ex-Works....

IMG_1053.jpg

Then a clean piston shortly before reassembling to a lightly greased group.....

IMG_1075.jpg

Then the 30 lever pulls to drive out any excess.... then the job's a good 'un.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

That's a lot of grease @Snakehips

I'll order some grease and maybe the ims shower screen and take mine apart

LR, ZM

My screen was exactly the same but I didn’t get chance to photo it before it went in the washing up bowl. But it looked just like yours . .....

b28d54e296644b76634dea2455e03081.jpg

I wonder if they intentionally over grease to give a bit more protection while it's sitting in a warehouse waiting to sell.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

And the factory fitted digital pi system.

Ah...what's that then, I got a raspberry pi, could I put that onto mine?

I wonder if they intentionally over grease to give a bit more protection while it's sitting in a warehouse waiting to sell.

I doubt if Luigi and the boys in the lever group factory in Italy think too deeply about it. A good dollop to ensure that it goes up and down smoothly is about it, I reckon.

I do think it's a shame that such a good machine as the L-R comes ex-works from Birmingham with the customer needing to do a decent re-lube. Or worse still, not be aware of the issue and try to make decent coffee with the screen in the state mine was. And then, potentially, be disappointed or disheartened.

On a positive note it’s great to see Londinium advertising on the forum :)

And even more positive was our wonderful cup of coffee apiece this evening!

Good practice after cleaning and servicing the seals on a Londinium to raise the piston several times to ensure grease is evenly distributed with the excess driven to the bottom of the bore. Then, to lock the lever in the horizontal position with the piston up so you can run your finger round the lip of the bore and remove any excess grease so it doesn't end up fouling the shower screen.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Glad to see you spending money on new toys again

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of useability compared to your old one. Be interesting to hear if the overall shot volume is increased on the LR?

Is that now an LIRIR or an LII RR :)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Is that now an LIRIR or an LII RR :)

John

Wouldn't it be L RR? :)

LR, ZM