Just recently I’ve been getting repeated sprites and channeling with the hg one and the LR. 15g basket with 15.8g in always stir the grind and then decant into the portafilter. Then tamp. Any ideas why I get repeated shots cracking and spritzing like this? I’m sure it’s a technique thing but can’t seem to work out why it happens as I keep the technique the same.

Cheers in advance.

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

Did you change the beans? What’s your preinfusion? A video might help.

I used to get some dips in the puck while using 200um IMS screen, but no issues with 35um one.

I use 15g baskets and stick to 15g dose. Some beans are just a tad difficult to get right but it sounds like you’d know that . . . Are you waiting for those first drips before lifting the Lever?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Does it happen with different beans? After decanting into the portafilter, do you stir the grinds and ensure the grinds are evenly distributed? You could also try (if you aren’t already) give the portafilter a gentle tap on your bench to collapse any caverns which can cause channelling. But be careful not to tap the portafilter too hard as this can split the puck.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Yeah seems more one bean. Wish I could send a vid but it doesn’t happen all the time. Tried tapping the pf. The spritz occurs almost instantly which makes me wonder if the pre infusion bar is too high- except the next shot same beans is typically the same

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

You stir then decant? Is it possible to stir in the portafilter? If you are using the HG tumbler thing: put it on the portafilter, pull the middle out, coffee falls down, stir (i use a wooden barbecue skewer, but whatever you have), remove the tumbler, quick tap, tamp.

Londinium-R - Kafatek Monolith Flat (yes, that one) 

I’ve tried in both ways stirring in the tumbler and letting it drop and also stirring in the timber and then again in the pf. I guess it’s one of those mysteries! Probably the beans as mainly the latest ones. Nearly all gone now anyway. If it happens again with any frequency I’ll film it and post it. Cheers guys!