IGNORED

Which machine ..... A Vesuvius or a Linea Mini (Poll)

Which machine do I keep, A Vesuvius or a Linea Mini  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which machine do I keep, A Vesuvius or a Linea Mini

Now this seems very Deja Vu (@Matbat).

I have both machines. Just acquired the LMLM in a deal I couldn't really refuse.

So, I have been given three weeks to decided which I can keep, as unfortunately I am not allowed both, which is mean, but I guess fair enough.

I haven't even pulled a shot with the LM yet, will be doing that later. But I love the V. In fact I really love it. Its easy, despite having technicalities built into it, but is an extremely capable machine as I think most would agree. I have only ever had one issue with the V, and that was a recent pressure release via the release valve, which has since resolved after a clean of said valve, but still, Jordan from BB has another on route to me as I would prefer to get a new one in-case it is for any reason on the way out.

Anyway........... I have set a poll.......ignoring the previous results from Matbats. I will however decide purely on how much I like the usability, the results and taste in the cup from the machines after the 3 weeks, and go from there. But thought I may as well get you lot involved for some fun first.

Pics to follow..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say both are very capable but one is style over substance and one is very much substance over style (will leave you to work out which is which so as not to upset any devoted owners, and yes have used both)

Is all about what's in the cup if you distillate it down and not too concerned about looks / brands :)

John

in just over 4 years, plus time with the prototype, I have enjoyed my Vesuvius. That said I have never used a LMLM and I suppose have not felt the desire to or any other machine, the V does more than I need and is very temp stable according to my test equipment. I suspect the poll will reflect positive owners opinions for both machines and aspirations of non owners. Now of course I do have machines acquired since the V and a Duetto as well, but those are in my collection for various reasons. I always seem to go back to the V. I usually have two machine running and will probably tend to keep the Minima and the V in main service and the other machines as backups/collectibles.

I suppose Espresso machines are a bit like cars (or other things) although you might look at a porche, ferrari, Tesla, whatever floats your boat you're not really interested buying one. Once you start taking them out for test drives, wandering around dealerships and perhaps even buying one to compare with your existing car....perhaps you already subconsciously have made the decision. Certainly if you were happy with your car, the test drive, purchase etc.. wouldn't have happened. The problem is however much someone might even realise they have done this, it doesn't matter, that itch needs to be scratched. A lot of people need to own a porche or BMW i3 or whatever for a while to realise whether that sort of car is for them. or not. Some won't have anything else, others don't like the bills or reliability and go back to a Honda or something similar.

Edited by DavecUK

Nothing here...

Depends on what you like in a machine. Do you want something you can adjust to suit different beans and get the most of out them or a one trick pony that looks nice (in some peoples opinions).

As far as I understand it, the LM might as well have a switch on the front as the paddle does sod all except click on or off? Now if it operated like a Slayer and you could go between pre-infusion and full pressure then that's different.

On the other hand it's nice to have something that takes another variable out of the equation and does what it does very well. Personally I'd get rid of both and buy a Londinium and an EK43 :whistle::popcorn:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

You have all so far made valid points, and as much as I love style, I am very much substance over style, so Ill be running a few comparisons, all like for like and will see what I like best.

As for alternate grinders, I still have use of a Mazzer SJ, a Mini and a friends Compak K8. If I needed something else im sure I can just start asking politely on here.

But to put it all into perspective, as much as I would love an LR, the layout of my kitchen and the cupboards above all units doesnt make it aesthetically appealing to the better half so that may hinder that alternative. (The pictures I have taken is not where the machine sits unfortunately.)

As for a grinder upgrade, one of the main reasons im attending the forum day is to trial a few (and to meet you all ofcourse), I have already checked to confirm an EK will be there as its a strong possibility for the near future, unless someone fancies flogging a Monolith Flat.

If a Flat came up I would be on it like a tramp on chips. If I was tempted maybe a L.R. The V is more is good machine. And Can't get to the lever day I don't drive or I would be coming. Unless the LM was 1K keep both

But to put it all into perspective, as much as I would love an LR, the layout of my kitchen and the cupboards above all units doesnt make it aesthetically appealing to the better half so that may hinder that alternative. (The pictures I have taken is not where the machine sits unfortunately.

I have the same problem. The only way I could possibly accomodate a lever (without some serious remodeling) is if it were easily removable.

Im just jealous that youre in a lucky position to choose between the two machines. Id have either anyday. Enjoy, and choose wisely.

Mo

I have the same problem. The only way I could possibly accomodate a lever (without some serious remodeling) is if it were easily removable.

You just unscrew it!

Either way, I look forward to your side by side comparrison & seeing which fits better with your workflow.

I am looking forward to playing to be honest.

not used either whats the heat up times for each until ready ?

- I have to say I prefer the looks of the LM

The V is about 20-25 mins I find, although as with all can be slightly manipulated. I normally just use the smart plug and give it 30 mins. As for the LM, I genuinely dont know.

Maybe someone can chime in with the LM warm up time.....

The V is about 20-25 mins I find, although as with all can be slightly manipulated. I normally just use the smart plug and give it 30 mins. As for the LM, I genuinely dont know.

Maybe someone can chime in with the LM warm up time.....

Well now that someone else has admitted they like the looks of the LM I suppose I can step up too without being shot!

I have to admit from the front I love the looks of the LM. It has that classic linea look that I really like... from the side it looks like they ran out of time & had to get it out to the supplies so left it as is.

The V has features that for me right now would be a waste of time & mental energy.

If the LM was a volumetrics machine then I would be very keep to keep my eye on the used market.

From the videos I have seen I did hear something like the LM being ready to go in 10 mins (i suppose the saturated group helps). Not sure exactly what that translates to in the real world but for me who has a few drinks a day & often has visitors drop in on weekends a 10 min warm up is a strong selling point if it is correct.

I have also heard the LM is rock solid temperature wise. My understanding being it is basically a heat exchanger with a second boiler on top of the group which then fine tunes the temp as the water flows through it, effectively giving it a little boost as required.

Keep the V... I will take the LM off your hands. Plus it would go better in my kitchen (white doors).

Well now that someone else has admitted they like the looks of the LM I suppose I can step up too without being shot!

I have to admit from the front I love the looks of the LM. It has that classic linea look that I really like... from the side it looks like they ran out of time & had to get it out to the supplies so left it as is.

The V has features that for me right now would be a waste of time & mental energy.

If the LM was a volumetrics machine then I would be very keep to keep my eye on the used market.

From the videos I have seen I did hear something like the LM being ready to go in 10 mins (i suppose the saturated group helps). Not sure exactly what that translates to in the real world but for me who has a few drinks a day & often has visitors drop in on weekends a 10 min warm up is a strong selling point if it is correct.

I have also heard the LM is rock solid temperature wise. My understanding being it is basically a heat exchanger with a second boiler on top of the group which then fine tunes the temp as the water flows through it, effectively giving it a little boost as required.

Keep the V... I will take the LM off your hands. Plus it would go better in my kitchen (white doors).

A true gent, helping me out there and offering to take it off me. Ha. But yes, most of what youve said I believe is true. There is a way of making the switch on the front into a pressure profile style lever as such, albeit quite an expensive modification, but has had decent results in the US.