Posted (edited)

I recently joined this forum and I find myself frustrated with the organization of topics - the conversations are thinly spread over too many forums, an incredible 51 forums to be exact! It's like buying a newspaper with 200 6"x 4" pages and trying to find articles of interest to read. If you want examples of better organization I suggest to look at home-barista.com or even coffeegeek.com . They have fewer forums and as such are easier to peruse. The question to ask is, what are the natural groupings of conversations? For example, as a Profitec 700 owner, most discussions on dual boiler E61 machines are likely relevant to my machine... assuming I only ever wanted to read/chat about my equipment (which isn't the case). Breaking out discussions by manufacturer might work for cars, but for coffee equipment it just doesn't make a lot of sense. For example, E61 HX machines have just too much in common to fragment discussions by brand. Please consider collapsing the forums down to perhaps a dozen areas and allow the conversations to flow. Any BTW...

Hello everyone! :-)

Edited by Zimberto

Hello and welcome :-)

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is the first coffee forum I have ever joined but seen many for other areas cars, motorbikes etc. I find it generally easy to navigate and the people are pretty good on here to!

I personally find it better there are areas for brand of machine or grinder as not all are the same really. I have had some great replies in brand specific area to for my machine.

Thanks

Lee. (R58 and Zenith 65e)

I just look at new posts

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Welcome.

I find it easiest to catch up on what's going on via the "New posts" function.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Another one for just going straight to new posts

LR, ZM

No wonder!

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Please do us all a figure and collapse the forums down to perhaps a dozen areas and less the conversation flow.

Welcome to our friendly forum, guess we would be doing just you a favour as most folk are quite happy with the way this forum is laid out, the search engine is perfectly adequate to find most things and as probably the busiest coffee forums out there we most be doing something right

I find other forums frustrating for different reasons and really enjoy using and participating on this one, embrace it and enjoy!

AKA Toffee chips

Come on Glen get a grip ...... :) ....

Welcome to the forum :)

I think.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Welcome ....... my first inclination was to say something else ...................

But we are friendly if not organised ......

...oh, hello and welcome!

In my humblebumble opinion, a forum is there to ask questions, educate yourself and talk about stuff. Whenever I feel like searching for information, I'll make use of a search engine of some kind (forum search or external) rather than navigating through sub forums.

Not that I'm promoting the idea of asking superficial questions... but very often around here you'll get a profound answer quicker than if you would have searched the web for some non-bollocks truth. Depending on the time zone you're in, we might have the edge on responsiveness compared to US-based communities.

Enjoy!

I find this forum a great wealth of information. Having all the sub forums for machine specific are great because often each machine has its own quirks that are only found out if you are the owner of one. Sure we can cross reference and the basics are prettytty much the same when it comes down to producing espresso.

I don't regularly post here as the info is often already here.

If you don't already use Tapatalk then I suggest you try it. It's a great tool for seeing only new topics and of course you can subscribe to the relevant topics that are most relevant to you.

Sage Dual Boiler. Baratza 270. Sage Smart Grinder Pro. 18g Vst ridgeless. Motta Competition Tamper 58.4mm. Aeropress.

Hi and welcome. Maybe cut down on the caffeine a little?

I once joined forum and all I saw was sections for manure, sewerage, pellets, litter trays and guano plus several pages of fermentation and other types of excreta and their uses. After reading through page upon page for what seamed like hours I came to the conclusion that it wasn't really for me...

..but they certainly knew their shit.. :D

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

What an introduction. Welcome.

"new posts" is a useful alternative to picking thru the myriad forums but it's doesn't make up completely for the poor forum organisation. One data point I'd like to highlight is that the default number of forum posts displayed per page is 20. On many of the forums the difference in time between the most recent post and the 20th post is many months or even years. That's a sure indication that individual forums are virtually stagnant and that posts are being spread too thinly over a large number of subject areas. The current organization is organization for the sake of it but doesn't seem to meet reals needs.

No it doesn’t seem to meet your needs! You are hardly endearing yourself to the population here on CFUK are you? 2 posts now, no introduction, no pleasantries just moaning.

AKA Toffee chips

Sounds like you need to spend your time on the better organised forums

a grinder a lever and some beans

Choice can be a wonderful tool, choose to use the forum or not.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Your not here for the Coffee are you ?

Try the Samaritans they have trained caring people, willing to listen to you and if it becomes to much they have support and help for the poor individual who had to listen to you. :starving:

Having used coffee geek and other forums I find that I actually prefer the multiple forum headings on this one - it often makes it easier to follow a particular topic or interest, as mentioned before its often easier to use a search engine which will often point you at the precise info you need whichever forum its on.

Recently in my research of Gaggia Spanish lever groups ive been all-over the place inc Home Barista I quickly realised there are also some good forums in France and Germany as well I suppose you take the info where you can find it and accept the layout and limitations of each site.

keep calm and grind flat

Sounds like you need to spend your time on the better organised forums
First impression last - and that goes both ways. I can guarantee that I won't be spending much time here because I have a dozen other sites I flick thru on my daily routine and I just haven't got the time to spend on this one trying to find things of interest. And yes I am moaning, but ask yourself... how many people come to this site, look around, and move on without explaining why they won't be coming back. For one thing, looking at individual forums the place looks like a ghost town. If you don't care about those people then that's your prerogative, but I would like to think that those responsible for the running of this site have some inclination to attract new blood.

New Posts is all I use unless I'm specifically looking for something. Having lots of categories can be a good thing since you gather relevant topics together.

If someone find this forum, but leave quickly, I don't know if it's the number of categories that is the reason.

First impression last - and that goes both ways. I can guarantee that I won't be spending much time here because I have a dozen other sites I flick thru on my daily routine and I just haven't got the time to spend on this one trying to find things of interest. And yes I am moaning, but ask yourself... how many people come to this site, look around, and move on without explaining why they won't be coming back. For one thing, looking at individual forums the place looks like a ghost town. If you don't care about those people then that's your prerogative, but I would like to think that those responsible for the running of this site have some inclination to attract new blood.

I think the place does OK.

Imagine walking into a party of people you don't know. Turning off the music, putting your own on. Loudly announcing you hate the paint scheme and they should knock through the the kitchen....

Perhaps set your own forum up, put your own cash in and make it they way you want.

I'm sure feedback is greatly received by Glenn but only our first post when you haven't bothered really to say hi or contribute is well, it's just not cricket.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc