Hey all,

Ive had a good look around and was going to do a basic service on the V. Also, wanting to change the pressure relief valve as it partially stuck the other day. It self resolved but its not the sort of thing I want to keep happening.

So, where do we get spare parts, as im struggling to even find a catalogue anywhere.

Cheers

Hey all,

Ive had a good look around and was going to do a basic service on the V. Also, wanting to change the pressure relief valve as it partially stuck the other day. It self resolved but its not the sort of thing I want to keep happening.

So, where do we get spare parts, as im struggling to even find a catalogue anywhere.

Cheers

Presumably you message Paolo?

I have messaged him already and not heard back yet, so thought id see if there is an alternate others have used. But did feel he may be the end goal. Cheers mate.

@DavecUK

might chip in.......I bet he has suitcases full of seals and grommets and such stuff!

True, Dave has always been a big help when my brain stops working.....which is not uncommon.

How old is your machine.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

How old is your machine.

About 2.5-3 years .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

As boots said. C.2017.

True, Dave has always been a big help when my brain stops working.....which is not uncommon.

I just had another look at your pm the other day...I must confess I have had a few other things on my mind. After reading it a few times I realise the object most prominently front and centre of the photo that I thought you were referring to was not the problem, but actually the object at the bottom hardly visible. The clue being the word tube and blowing through the drip tray...being busy I just looked at the prominent object in the centre of the photo. I advised you incorrectly, it's not the "pressure relief valve" you were talking about...but the "vacuum breaker". Just as an aside to anyone who sends me a photo, just put an arrow pointing to the thing you want to highlight, it's hugely helpful on a photo of internals.

I still have the old version combined valve on mine which does have 2 tubes on it...you have the revised valve fitted to later models because of problems (usually caused by bad water), mine has been fault free for 4 years or more because I only use RO water. The revised valve is a T connector with a Pressure relief valve on the top and a Vacuum breaker on the bottom.

Spares are from an in country retailer e.g. BB in the UK. These things are not prone to failure, but do have a limited life of 3-7 years depending on steam boiler usage and should be considered a potential service item every so often. However, poor water quality can mean they can leak in as little as 6 months. I've not opened one of these up, but I believe they are a thermally operated positive close valve that might well be cleanable with a light citric acid soak and rinse. I guess it does depend on the metals within and it's mode of operation. I have a spare, but I am not inclined to open it up for fun and games. I would also advise you to check out the water you are using on the V.

009e65dd2e3cfad8cdc01f53ebda3749.jpg

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Oh and just before anyone starts stating it's a cheap valve (as a few are inclined to do), this vacuum breaker (factory wholesale) actually costs about 7 times the cost of the standard ones and is made by Fluid O tech!

https://www.fluidotech.it/site/assets/files/1334/f-lab-anti-vacuum-valve-datasheet-.pdf

Looking at the datasheet it seems to be Nickel and Titanium, so probably using a memory metal effect rather than bi-metal strip closure. certainly the Italian factory supply websites descibe it with the word memory.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I just had another look at your pm the other day...I must confess I have had a few other things on my mind. After reading it a few times I realise the object most prominently front and centre of the photo that I thought you were referring to was not the problem, but actually the object at the bottom hardly visible. The clue being the word tube and blowing through the drip tray...being busy I just looked at the prominent object in the centre of the photo. I advised you incorrectly, it's not the "pressure relief valve" you were talking about...but the "vacuum breaker". Just as an aside to anyone who sends me a photo, just put an arrow pointing to the thing you want to highlight, it's hugely helpful on a photo of internals.

I still have the old version combined valve on mine which does have 2 tubes on it...you have the revised valve fitted to later models because of problems (usually caused by bad water), mine has been fault free for 4 years or more because I only use RO water. The revised valve is a T connector with a Pressure relief valve on the top and a Vacuum breaker on the bottom.

Spares are from an in country retailer e.g. BB in the UK. These things are not prone to failure, but do have a limited life of 3-7 years depending on steam boiler usage and should be considered a potential service item every so often. However, poor water quality can mean they can leak in as little as 6 months. I've not opened one of these up, but I believe they are a thermally operated positive close valve that might well be cleanable with a light citric acid soak and rinse. I guess it does depend on the metals within and it's mode of operation. I have a spare, but I am not inclined to open it up for fun and games. I would also advise you to check out the water you are using on the V.

That's my old machine which I refitted with the Valve via paolo , as i had three of the other ones go in quick succession.

Re Bad water dunno I used bottled and one of the original valves lasted less than 2 months from memory

Instagram - rjw_inc

Well I've had one original valve still fine after 4 years, you had 3 go in quick succession....I think a very good possibility that the water was to blame.

Thanks very much all. And Dave. As ever always a big aid.

Apologies my pic wasn’t obvious. I could’ve been more helpful and highlight where.

I’ll give it a clean up and re-seal with some ptfe and see what happens. It’s not causing a huge issue but I like sorting things if I’m not 100% happy.

I’ve contacted Paolo also so will see if the part can be obtained direct.

Thanks again all

being Nickel and Titanium, it should be OK to inject a bit of descaling solution into it....plus sometimes the seat can gunk up, because there's more than just limescale contamination in water. As I said I am pretty sure the seal is made using memory metal (trade name Nitinol) pushing against a Viton seal . It's a clever solution really, not used by many manufacturers because it costs so much more than the cheaper standard vac valves.

Just waiting for the pressure to drop and ill take it off and run some solution through it and see how we go from there.

Well I've had one original valve still fine after 4 years, you had 3 go in quick succession....I think a very good possibility that the water was to blame.

My Volvic must have been sulphuric to make one go in 4 weeks.

Instagram - rjw_inc

My Volvic must have been sulphuric to make one go in 4 weeks.

It's not about 1, one can be faulty, but to have so many go is water. You could see the deposits in some of the photos as I remember. I have had leaks on test machine and with RO water, I never see deposits like that. I keep trying to explain to people, it's not just about Calcium and Magnesium...in the end i give up and get my coat. People want to believe bottled water is machine safe...fine by me..

P.S. A mate had a different machine with exactly the same combined breaker/safety valve and he uses RO water, he also had no problems over the years.

P.S. A mate had a different machine with exactly the same combined breaker/safety valve

What machine Dave, and can I easily source parts for that one?

What machine Dave, and can I easily source parts for that one?

But that's the old system, you have the newer better one with separate valves on a T Piece?

@DavecUK

Dave just to clarify this is the part I’m talking about.

7fc4ea880eec578346ea69cd3d374231.jpg

Thanks

Oh, OK then it is the pressure relief valve...they don't usually go (e.g. last decades, as they have teflon seats) regardless of the water used because they are always closed, or should be. That is definitely a valve you shouldn't service, get a new one. By undoing it you may well change the relief pressure. I'm not worried about the boiler bursting or anything because it's 70% filled, 2mm thick stainless with 12mm end plates and well capable of taking in excess of 24 bar. All the same it's not right...change it.

P.S. Marking out the item was super helpful, especially with my mind full of a potentially dying cat!

Oh, OK then it is the pressure relief valve...they don't usually go (e.g. last decades, as they have teflon seats) regardless of the water used because they are always closed, or should be. That is definitely a valve you shouldn't service, get a new one. By undoing it you may well change the relief pressure. I'm not worried about the boiler bursting or anything because it's 70% filled, 2mm thick stainless with 12mm end plates and well capable of taking in excess of 24 bar. All the same it's not right...change it.

P.S. Marking out the item was super helpful, especially with my mind full of a potentially dying cat!

Thats helpful Dave, and apologies I wasnt clear when I first bought it up.

As for the cat - hope everything is ok and sorry to have bothered you.

I may end up putting in an order for group spares from LF but might need to run my final choice of parts past Dave first if that's ok (to check best materials for seals and O-rings). I did think Paulo was going to supply me with the correct parts along with some accessories I wanted but after a lot of effort clarifying what I wanted (and probably a fair bit on his part too to be fair), nothing has been forthcoming. If I do put an order in (with LF or ACS), I would order extras and would be prepared to add to the order.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

I may end up putting in an order for group spares from LF but might need to run my final choice of parts past Dave first if that's ok (to check best materials for seals and O-rings). I did think Paulo was going to supply me with the correct parts along with some accessories I wanted but after a lot of effort clarifying what I wanted (and probably a fair bit on his part too to be fair), nothing has been forthcoming. If I do put an order in (with LF or ACS), I would order extras and would be prepared to add to the order.

Dan, I have already spoken to BB who still stock parts for the V. As ever Jordan was very helpful and is contacting me today. It may be worth giving him a bell also.

I started with BB.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero