jimbojohn55

Pimp a 1962 Gaggia Minibar Orione

Just doing a bit of background reading on Gaggia Espania, as always Franchescos site has a bit of background -

Gaggia arrived in Barcelona in 1952, four years after Achile Gaggia filed the patent for espresso coffee extraction in Italy.

In 1956, a competitor arrived in Spain in the shape of Faema. The presence of these two brands in Barcelona meant that Spain participated from the start in the expansion of Mediterranean espresso culture.

The Gaggia and Faema entities in Spain eventually separated from their parent companies.

The former had created the Visacrem brand in 1967 and began selling in export markets under this brand. The latter created the Futurmat brand in 1978, and this rapidly expanded to become the number one selling brand in Spain.

In 2001, Quality Espresso purchased these two historic brands. With its headquarters in the Barcelona factory built by Faema in the 1960’s, Quality Espresso sells espresso equipment around the world under the brand names Futurmat, Gaggia, Visacrem, Italcrem and Mairali

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

looking through spare part suppliers in Spain - came across this great photo of Jesus Ascarso (Ascarso parts) working on the Gaggia Orione groups in the Barcelona factory in 1962 - I may have to purchase a vest for the rest of this pimp

PADRE-JL.jpg

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

- I may have to purchase a vest for the rest of this pimp

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39785[/ATTACH]

Purchase! Like you haven’t already got a draw full

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

Purchase! Like you haven’t already got a draw full
Well it might might have to be a string vest as I only live 10 min from the beach
  • Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

Quick reassembly of the gauge

IMG_20190401_080530811.jpg

IMG_20190401_080524955_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

keep calm and grind flat

I remember being so chuffed with myself for simply dismantling and modding a gaggia classic. The pride you must feel completing all these complex restoration projects to such a high degree of craftsmanship must be immense.

I'm kind of worried you'll run out of projects

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

No chance

• Like 2

AKA Toffee chips

No chance
....anxiety abating

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

I remember being so chuffed with myself for simply dismantling and modding a gaggia classic. The pride you must feel completing all these complex restoration projects to such a high degree of craftsmanship must be immense.

It all start with pimping an old classic - a bit like underage cider drinking in the park

Then you pimp your first cheap ex commercial grinder- that's like a your first proper pint in the pub

Before you know it your trying loads of Mazzers- That like regular clubbing and drinks

After that you have to get obscure Italian levers to get the same high - going to gigs at the Hacienda drinking imported swing top bottles

Finally it has to be rare high end exotics imported like the minibar -crack cocaine ;)

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

So after several bouts of citric what appeared was that the whole machine was originally nickel coated including the boiler - this leaves a dilemma to leave as is or re plate it all - not sure but im seeing a plater tomorrow so will talk costs and then decide - it is what it is if I left it, and it has a certain honesty - but there is always a part of me that wants to get it back up to original spec and finish.

5555.jpg

IMG_20190401_152345372[1].jpg

• Like 3

keep calm and grind flat

The original pressure stat would have been like this mercury switch, but its not a part that's easy to repair or replace even if I had one

14262image_4.jpg

its been replaced at some point with a more robust reliable and safer descendant

this, inside its immaculate grommets for the wires have perished but easy to replace

IMG_20190402_192951639.jpg

only problem from my perspective is that it really looks out of place with the yellow zinc finish, so time to make it fit in a bit more rather than stand out

IMG_20190402_195720432.jpg silver grey high temp paint

IMG_20190402_195540851.jpg

• Like 3

keep calm and grind flat

The original pressure stat would have been like this mercury switch, but its not a part that's easy to repair or replace even if I had one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39806[/ATTACH]

its been replaced at some point with a more robust reliable and safer descendant

this, inside its immaculate grommets for the wires have perished but easy to replace

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39807[/ATTACH]

only problem from my perspective is that it really looks out of place with the yellow zinc finish, so time to make it fit in a bit more rather than stand out

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39808[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39809[/ATTACH] silver grey high temp paint

Pity you don't have the original. It looks so much nicer than the replacement box.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Pity you don't have the original. It looks so much nicer than the replacement box.

yes, there is a bit of me that would like to pimp a mercury pressure stat, I would also probably zap myself at the same time and the modern ones are much safer,

Its the metal expansion bellows that tends to develop a leek, after that its toast, I don't think its possible to repair them.

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

anyone got an 80mm spanner ? seriously anyone?

IMG_20190403_171754313.jpg

• Like 3

keep calm and grind flat

@jimbojohn55 Now funny you should say that .... I have an adjustable vehicle bearing remover it opens up about 140mm, but it only has about 60mm clearance .. If it is to get the spring off which looks longer it will be no good .

@jimbojohn55 Now funny you should say that .... I have an adjustable vehicle bearing remover it opens up about 140mm, but it only has about 60mm clearance .. If it is to get the spring off which looks longer it will be no good .

Thanks for the offer - but it going to need just a open ended spanner, not just to undo it but also to tighten up after the groups back in position, I might have ago at making something.

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

Just looked at the price of a 80mm spanner :)

Toolstation do a immersion ring spanner ,a bit big but you could bolt something on to make it smaller .

I have some 50mm x 5mm thick steelI could weld into a makeshift if you get stuck ..

Thanks for the offer - but it going to need just a open ended spanner, not just to undo it but also to tighten up after the groups back in position, I might have ago at making something.
Might water pump pliers or a strap wrench work?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Might water pump pliers or a strap wrench work?

I think its seized pretty solid - I can get a ring spanner for about 35

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

Posted (edited)

is that 80mm AF (no I am not taking the P, I mean Across Flats)

I have access to some big stuff but not so sure about 3 1/8". Would you settle for an adjustable?

EDIT: or there is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Spanners-laser-CUSTOM-CUT-70mm-80mm-90mm-100mm-110mm-120mm-130mm-All-sizes/113686885839?hash=item1a784435cf:g:4hwAAOSwGrVci8a2

Edited by grumpydaddy

is that 80mm AF (no I am not taking the P, I mean Across Flats)

I have access to some big stuff. Would you settle for an adjustable?

EDIT: or there is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Spanners-laser-CUSTOM-CUT-70mm-80mm-90mm-100mm-110mm-120mm-130mm-All-sizes/113686885839?hash=item1a784435cf:g:4hwAAOSwGrVci8a2

Hi it is 80 across flats, I tried the listing above they then tried to charge £73 for one !

If you have an adjustable that opens up to 80mm that would be great - happy to pay postage to and from, just let me know if possible

Cheers

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

OK will look tomorrow, Biggest I have at home is 57mm

I have 60mm flogging spanners at work I think

Just catching up with this thread. Great work as always Jim.

• Like 1

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

I have 60mm flogging spanners at work I think

Just catching up with this thread. Great work as always Jim.

A flogging spanner would be good but it will need to be 80mm between the flats
  • Like 2

keep calm and grind flat