Good day all. I'm thinking a new basket is in order as the one I have with my Classic is the original and now 12 years old so I'm sure it has seen better days. It will be a double basket to hold between 16-18grams if possible.

From my basic understanding am I right thinking that a VMS basket is a bit more forgiving? Has anyone had both and noticed wild differences? And any recommendations on a particular model.

Thanks all!

I have used IMS and VST. The IMS is more forgiving the VST less so and shows up poor preparation and distribution.

I personally prefer the VST basket's. For you I would suggest an 18 gram VST but your choice.;)

VST are individually tested for accuracy so should be better and more expensive, but the IMS ones aren't too bad at all, be aware that there are various types depending on hole design (number and distribution)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

VSTs are the baskets by which all others are judged. Still not bettered. Will expose any flaws in barista technique so more care is needed. Have tried IMS baskets ages ago but prefer VSTs.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Posted (edited)

I have both , I struggle with the concept of the larger dose tolerances being effective on the IMS baskets.

VST can be classed as less forgiving visually of distribution but for me are worth the hassle.

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I have both, plus ordinary baskets that lesser mortals use, they all work for me...choose one and I think you will quickly get used to it.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

IMS Barista Pro is a good choice, VST are good too, except 15g. You can produce a good shot in every basket with a good grinder and machine.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Any recommendation on best place to purchase them from?

Thanks

Bella Barista sell both.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Just to put some controversy here the other day I took two videos for other forum with a very tired 14y old original Gaggia Basket and naked portafilter, the results in the cup weren't so bad and for me if you have any problems with your naked extractions, calibrated baskets won't sort them. They will put the last touch in mastering the perfect shot.

First of all here is the situation with the old basket magnified = frightening

Gaggia_classic.jpg

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Hasbean for VST’s

For what’s its worth I recommend hasbean for VST’s as they are the cheapest there & the postage is also just 80p for 2nd class or £1 for 1st class...

Can’t really beat that!

Cheapest place you can find a genuine one, rarely does one need to use the warranty.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Without going too far off on a tangent here.... has anyone tried the 25g VST beast that they offer?

I am considering one for pulling either massive shots of dark roast that I tend to pull fairly short but mainly for bigger split shots into two cups as I am drinking more split doubles now as my wife may have a single shot drink with me in the evenings (when it’s too late to risk another double).

Before anyone says it I have checked & do think it would fit into my double PF (rocket).

If anyone has tried one of these & would be happy to chat please drop me a PM.

Hasbean for VST’s

I recently ordered from Hasbean as well. Arrived in just a few days. Would definitely recommend

Without going too far off on a tangent here.... has anyone tried the 25g VST beast that they offer?

I am considering one for pulling either massive shots of dark roast that I tend to pull fairly short but mainly for bigger split shots into two cups as I am drinking more split doubles now as my wife may have a single shot drink with me in the evenings (when it’s too late to risk another double).

Before anyone says it I have checked & do think it would fit into my double PF (rocket).

If anyone has tried one of these & would be happy to chat please drop me a PM.

Thinking out loud a basket that deep would struggle to fit into a spouted pf and I think youd need a naked which would stop you from splitting shots.

Possible ask a retailer before ordering (hb, Bella barista etc)

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thinking out loud a basket that deep would struggle to fit into a spouted pf and I think youd need a naked which would stop you from splitting shots.

Possible ask a retailer before ordering (hb, Bella barista etc)

Having measured my rocket double I am fairly confident it would just fit. Based of the fact I can fit two 2p coins under my 20g VST in the highest contact point.

They fit the LM PF’s too