Giblet46

Classic keeps 'drying up' through the grouphead

So I've had my Gaggia several years and yes every few months (especially if I hadn't used the steam want for a while), it would dry up (I.e no water through the group head), a bit of swearing and back flushing with Caffiza it would be fine for several months.

However a couple of months back I did the OPV mod, and since then this has become a very regular occurrence. I seem to get it working fine, then a couple of days later (1-3 coffees per day), the pressure drops off and stops.

When I lose the group head, the wand is fine, and if you empty the wand with the pump off (and then close off), you can hear the motor running until it hits a 'stop' then a little water comes out the grouphead.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or just a case of having to pull it apart and give the solenoid a good clean?!

I think you have read enough post's to know what you have to do;). Bite the bullet and remove the solenoid valve, there is obviously bits of scale floating about inside. OR do a full strip and clean the boiler and all components, replace seals.:good::good:;)

Do you own a blind filter basket for backflushing?

Yeh, have used that regularly, didn't think you could backflush without one! :)

I think you have read enough post's to know what you have to do;). Bite the bullet and remove the solenoid valve, there is obviously bits of scale floating about inside. OR do a full strip and clean the boiler and all components, replace seals.:good::good:;)

Cheers

Sounds like a job for an evening, is there somewhere you can get all the seals together?!

Cheers

Sounds like a job for an evening, is there somewhere you can get all the seals together?!

The Espresso Shop do a service kit with everything you need including new thermostats (they can degrade over time shutting off at a lower temp). Other shops sell a service kit a bit cheaper but without the stats which won't be needed if you have a PID fitted.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Yeh, have used that regularly, didn't think you could backflush without one! :)

My bad. I didn't read your original post properly. Perhaps if you backflush with water before turning the machine off after each session, you will not have this problem.

So have cleaned my solenoid out, worked great, but then kept jamming up though with little bits more limescale (I'd don't a descale before) , so may have to take the boiler apart and do a full clean!

That is quite common if there is still scale floating about.