swai

Tap Water advice

Hi all,

I am looking to use tap water here in Dublin, Ireland to brew with.

I have some questions about my water filter and water parameters here in Dublin which I have been told is soft water.

I currently have a HMA filter set up with which I use to filter my tap water for drinking. It has 3 filters, a sediment filter down to 1 micron, a PCB-10-CM carbon filter which removes chlorine and chloramines and the 3rd filter which is a pentek carbon filter. I have used this water to supply my aquarium but thought I could use it with my tap water to use in an espresso machine.

Water profile:

Colour (Hazen)................................................

Turbidity (NTU)..............................................

pH................................................................... 7.5 - 8.5

Conductivity (µS/cm)....................................... 140 - 150

Chloride (mg/l)................................................

Sulphate (mg/l)................................................

Total Dissolved Solids (mg/l)........................... 95

Total Residual Chlorine (mg/l)......................... 0.05 - 0.10

Nitrate (mg N/l)...............................................

Nitrite (mg N/l)................................................

Ammonia (mg N/l)...........................................

Phosphate (mg P/l)...........................................

Aluminium (mg/l).............................................

Iron (mg/l).......................................................

Fluoride (mg/l)................................................. 0.6 - 0.8

Total Coliforms (MPN/100ml)..........................

E.coli (MPN/100ml)........................

Enterococci (CFU/100ml)…………….. 0

Heterotrophic Plate Count 22°C (CFU/ml).......

Heterotrophic Plate Count 37°C (CFU/ml).......

Odour.............................................................. None

Taste................................................................ None

Magnesium (mg/L)........................................ 1.5

Calcium (mg/L)............................................. 18 - 20

Total Alkalinity (mg CaCO3/l)......................... 28

Calcium Hardness (mg CaCO3/l)..................... 45 - 50

Total Hardness (mg CaCO3/l).......................... 55

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light if i can use straight tap water or will i get scale etc. Do you think i need a softner for my tap water. My PH is at 7.5 so on the higher side.

I am within the SCAA adequate brew zones.

Thanks for any advice,

Simon.

I am within the SCAA adequate brew zones.

Thanks for any advice,

Simon.

You're not really.

Your water has less alkalinity (28 vs 40), but the good news is your soft water won't scale straight from the tap.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

You're not really.

Your water has less alkalinity (28 vs 40), but the good news is your soft water won't scale straight from the tap.

Thank you for the reply. I always wondered what it meant when the acceptable range for alkalinity is stated at or near 40 mg/l. As in how close to 40 is acceptable.

Do you know what less alkalinity would mean?

Thank you for the reply. I always wondered what it meant when the acceptable range for alkalinity is stated at or near 40 mg/l. As in how close to 40 is acceptable.

Do you know what less alkalinity would mean?

Alkalinity is bicarbonate (as may be written on the label of a bottle of water) *0.82 for alkalinity as CaCO3.

If the alkalinity/bicarbonate is so low your coffe tastes thin/sharp, at a good extraction, then it's probably too low. You can probably get away with a little under 40, 40-60 is the often mooted range.

Can I ask what you used to measure the water... I was thinking of buying a cheap water analyser from Amazon for example:

Digital Water Quality Tester Digital TDS EC Meter with Battery Range at 0-9990 Multifunctional Water Purity Temperature Meter with Leather Bag TEMP PPM Test for Drinking Water Drink Quality Monitoring Swimming Pools Spas Aquarium Hydroponics Water Purifiers and Filters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C5PAIMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_45wLCbBSRTMK9

Do you think this will be adequate?

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

Can I ask what you used to measure the water... I was thinking of buying a cheap water analyser from Amazon for example:

Digital Water Quality Tester Digital TDS EC Meter with Battery Range at 0-9990 Multifunctional Water Purity Temperature Meter with Leather Bag TEMP PPM Test for Drinking Water Drink Quality Monitoring Swimming Pools Spas Aquarium Hydroponics Water Purifiers and Filters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C5PAIMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_45wLCbBSRTMK9

Do you think this will be adequate?

No, it won't. Look for a titration kit on Amazon, one that does GH & KH. You take a sample of water and add a reagent, drop by drop, shaking in between, until you get a colour change, then multiply the number of drops by whatever degree units you have in the instructions.

Or, get your local water report from your water authority/provider.

Looks like you could just add sodium bicarb to your water to up the alkalinity. If you get some 0.01g or better 0.001g scales from amazon to weigh out your dose you'll be able to accurately weigh out the bicarb to add to your water to get your desired alkalinity.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Looks like you could just add sodium bicarb to your water to up the alkalinity. If you get some 0.01g or better 0.001g scales from amazon to weigh out your dose you'll be able to accurately weigh out the bicarb to add to your water to get your desired alkalinity.

Cheers for the info will have a look, was in the marker for a new .01 scales anyway as the one i have is .1g.

Just be aware of the max capacity of the scales. A 0.001g accurate one probably won't be useful for anything but weighing out stuff for remineralising water and drugs.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

BTW do not buy the cheapest TDS meter as they are wildly inaccurate and not properly calibrated. I have a cheap one and a HM Digital AP-1 and my tap water is 450ppm according to HM Digital and 250ppm according to the cheaper one. If you'd get one buy a reputable one which is properly calibrated and can be calibrated again if needed.