dfk41

Nomination for best decaf

I've just got a bag of Tynemouth's decaf, and had a slightly odd experience with it. First off the beans seem REALLY dark to me, almost black in fact. Considerably darker than Rave's Italian roast, for instance. Then, when trying to dial them in using the Niche, I started at around the 10 mark, and got 36g out (from 18g in) in about 10 seconds ??. I ended up just below zero on the Niche in order to get 36g to come through in around 25 seconds.

I only tried it in a flat white, and the result was pretty good, but I just wondered if the above sounds similar to other people's experience with these beans?

They are dark yes, but my grinding setting on kinu was even tiny bit coarser then the decaf i had before.

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Decaf on the whole requires a tighter grind. Do t worry about numbers! It is a dark, but It not that dark. From memory Rave roast quite light

• Like 2

On 3/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, dfk41 said:

Nee Caffeine Hinny

https://www.tynemouthcoffee.com/product/beans/nee-caffeine-hinny/

This is without doubt the best decaf I have ever had. it is Swiss WaterMexican bean.....£5 per 250 gm and just down the road from me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39585[/ATTACH]

Ordered a kg this on the strength of your rec...seriously good...and very forgiving of my novice hand at the lever. Many thanks!

Posted (edited)

I should have followed you guys with the recommendation. I lazily got some Horsham Columbian Sugarcane, which is pretty bland. A lighter brown roast. Price was just over £17 delivered, but it was a mistake nevertheless. I'll try and mix it with some Waitrose Peru beans which are darker..........

Result: A bit more flavour, but not great.

Edited by les24preludes

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

On 14/05/2019 at 20:52, biggow said:

I've just got a bag of Tynemouth's decaf, and had a slightly odd experience with it. First off the beans seem REALLY dark to me, almost black in fact. Considerably darker than Rave's Italian roast, for instance. Then, when trying to dial them in using the Niche, I started at around the 10 mark, and got 36g out (from 18g in) in about 10 seconds ??. I ended up just below zero on the Niche in order to get 36g to come through in around 25 seconds.

I only tried it in a flat white, and the result was pretty good, but I just wondered if the above sounds similar to other people's experience with these beans?

Hi mate , on my niche it’s at 8, though a sage dB. 

My take on these beans is that they are very non decaf but I personally prefer one from Gökotta: vaken  decaf . Best one i’ve Tasted by a long way. Vaken means awake in Swedish which is ironic :) 

roaster based in Liverpool, not Sweden :) 

• Like 1

I tried the Tynemouth and it wasn't for me.  Best decaf I've found is the Rave Colombia Suarez Project Decaf, which is actually about as nice as any non-decaf I've had.

Tasting notes are coffee, with a coffee aftertaste.  Great!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I was just looking online and I came across these - any comments?

Just Decaf - they do all of 18 different decafs

https://www.justdecaf.co.uk/shop/

James Gourmet - Guatemala Santa Sofia. Their previous Jalapa was maybe the best decaf I've ever tasted. 

https://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product/decaffeinated-co2-guatemala-santa-sofia-espresso-roast-250g/

Edited by les24preludes
  • Like 1

Good find! Never heard of them, they have decafs I’ve never seen before eg Ethiopian etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I was just looking online and I came across these - any comments?
Just Decaf - they do all of 18 different decafs
https://www.justdecaf.co.uk/shop/
James Gourmet - Guatemala Santa Sofia. Their previous Japapa was maybe the best decaf I've ever tasted. 
https://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product/decaffeinated-co2-guatemala-santa-sofia-espresso-roast-250g/

James's gourmet is my local. I've had some of his decaf before and must agree that they are brilliant.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

Posted (edited)

I've just been through 250g of the James decaf Guatemala and it was very nice. James always seem to bring out the interesting notes in their roasts - it's something I've come to expect. 

Just started on Crankhouse decaf Columbia - very disappointing in contrast to James. Especially since they're usually rated in these pages. Smooth and rather meh - no interesting notes. Even a touch bitter. Unfortunately bought 500g. My son tried their ordinary roast Panama and said the same = smooth, rather flat, no interesting notes. Maybe it'll bloom a bit as it settles down but I have my doubts. 

Edited by les24preludes

22 minutes ago, les24preludes said:

I've just been through 250g of the James decaf Guatemala and it was very nice. James always seem to bring out the interesting notes in their roasts - it's something I've come to expect. 

Just started on Crankhouse decaf Columbia - very disappointing in contrast to James. Especially since they're usually rated in these pages. Smooth and rather meh - no interesting notes. Even a touch bitter. Unfortunately bought 500g. My son tried their ordinary roast Panama and said the same = smooth, rather flat, no interesting notes. Maybe it'll bloom a bit as it settles down but I have my doubts. 

Maybe tell us your brew parameters, I have been drinking the Crankhouse Colombia La Plata decaf on & off for a few months now, the orange & creme brulee notes are pretty spot on. Much of the time there is little clue as to it being a decaf at all. It actually has stood up well compared to the regular coffee I have been drinking.

• Like 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Posted (edited)

Crankhouse Colombia La Plata decaf 

Brew parameters: 20g beans, to make 40g in the cup. Add 150ml semi-skimmed milk. Grinder = Mazzer Major. Machine = Gaggia Baby 2002. Coffee roast date 26 July, made the coffee Aug 2, seven days later. 

I'm not getting any interesting notes here. It's basically just smooth, anonymous and without character. These kind of Columbians do nothing at all for me. I prefer Kenyan, Guatemalan, sometimes Sumatran - decafs with flavour. I've had some very average decafs from Columbia along with the occasional good one. 

Edited by les24preludes

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, les24preludes said:

Brew parameters: 20g beans, to make 40g in the cup. Add 150ml semi-skimmed milk. Grinder = Mazzer Major. Machine = Gaggia Baby 2002. Coffee roast date 26 July, made the coffee Aug 2, seven days later. 

I'm not getting any interesting notes here. It's basically just smooth, anonymous and without character. 

As an espresso this is one of the best espresso beans I've had this year.

edit: And, I mean, each to their own, but I've drank a lot of Crankhouse Coffee and I've never had a bad batch. Ever. 

Edited by filthynines
  • Like 1

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MWJB said:

Can you grind finer?

Yes I could - a bit finer. I'll try that. Thanks for the tip. That would also allow me to put just 18g or even 16g in the PF instead of 20g which is over-filling it a little. I'll post the results. 

I'm not saying this is a "bad batch". It's just rather boring, unless I can get some more flavour out of it. My Mazzer Major certainly isn't the culprit but I'm always open to revising my technique. As I said above, the James Guatemala had a lot more flavour with pretty much the same parameters. But we'll see.  

Edited by les24preludes

I'm not getting any interesting notes here. It's basically just smooth, anonymous and without character. These kind of Columbians do nothing at all for me. I prefer Kenyan, Guatemalan, sometimes Sumatran - decafs with flavour. I've had some very average decafs from Columbia along with the occasional good one. 

Decaf Colombians are the same for me - just can’t get anything really good out of them...... when compared to lovely, full-bodied, interesting caffeinated beans.

And that’s the problem isn’t it - speciality decaf is great, really is - compared to commodity decaf. But compared to speciality caf, well it can’t compare.

I can only have 2 caf coffees a week and the rest are decaf - I’m finding these days I don’t try and compete and just get a traditional dark roasted decaf blend and have it mostly in milk. That way the cafs I have can be light roasted and enjoyed for the flavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I just bought a bag of Square Mike decaf. At £13.50 for 350g it’s not the cheapest thing out there. I quite like it, and it’s surely the best I’ve had (I’ve tried Rave’s, Hasbean’s, Bella Barista’s, Coffee Real, Waitrose’s, Illy’s). Saying that, Deezzz Nutttzzzz parter’s hated it!

I don’t drink decaf on a regular basis, so it’s more of a treat rather than anything else so I can have a cheeky coffee after work if I want to.

Posted (edited)

Well, tried a finer grind. 16g coffee, 40g in the cup. 125ml semi-skimmed milk. Results are much the same. No obvious notes, just a smooth blend. Taste is a little better than the last cup but it's still just a pretty average Columbian. It's OK - it's not bad by any means - but nothing stands out. I'll try tweaking it some more, but the James Guatemalan was so much better. 

Edited by les24preludes

1 hour ago, les24preludes said:

Well, tried a finer grind. 16g coffee, 40g in the cup. 125ml semi-skimmed milk. Results are much the same. No obvious notes, just a smooth blend. Taste is a little better than the last cup but it's still just a pretty average Columbian. It's OK - it's not bad by any means - but nothing stands out. I'll try tweaking it some more, but the James Guatemalan was so much better. 

What size is your basket? 4g is a very large change to dose. Even if it extracted the same, you just made a cup that was 20% weaker, which makes no sense if you're trying to get a more intense flavour. Other than brew ratio, you're not giving us any parameters (grind setting, shot time).

It's not a blend either.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

4 hours ago, MWJB said:

What size is your basket? 4g is a very large change to dose. Even if it extracted the same, you just made a cup that was 20% weaker, which makes no sense if you're trying to get a more intense flavour. Other than brew ratio, you're not giving us any parameters (grind setting, shot time).

It's not a blend either.

I know it's not a blend. I meant a smooth blend of flavour with no notes standing out. Basket is a standard Gaggia, not the small one. There's not much point in my giving you the grind setting since as you know the Major is unstepped and it depends where you start screwing the top on, but anyway it's 8.65. I may try finer. I'll give you the shot time next time I make a coffee. If I keep a 1:2 ratio I'll go for 16g and 32g and see what that gives. Thanks for the suggestions. 

So - a finer grind. 16g coffee, 32g in the cup in 22 secs. 110ml semi-skimmed milk. The taste is more intense which is an improvement I guess, but overall results are much the same. No obvious notes standing out, just a smooth taste. It's not bad by any means, it's just not very interesting - however you vary the parameters it seems nothing stands out. I tried a higher ratio which didn't bring it to life and I'll try tweaking it some more, but the James Guatemalan had those extra notes that this seems to lack. I'm a big fan of James, but he only has Ethiopian decaf right now and that isn't so suited to milk.

Crankhouse Colombia La Plata decaf - tried 19g in, 38g out in 32 sec, 130ml semi-skimmed milk. Still pretty boring for me - I don't find any interesting taste notes in this coffee. So I mixed it 50/50 with Waitrose Peru decaf beans. Got more taste that way. But I'll be looking for a more interesting decaf when this runs out. Guatemala or Kenya if there's a decent one available.