DanB

Advice please- used Mazzer Major refurb for home use

87a2ee99e2c549f630e5b4e5ebc5850f.jpgInspired by the living legends who stalk these corridors, I’ve picked up a used Major on ebay at a good price. Collecting tomorrow so not sure what condition I’m going to find it in. In any case it’s going to need a strip and clean but maybe also new burrs.

I’m pretty excited and looking forward to seeing what 83mm flat burrs do for my Pavoni lever.

I’ve been reading the various refurb and mod threads and wondering how far to go given that I’m up for a little kitchen table tinkering but I’m definitely no @jimbojohn or @coffeechap. I’d be grateful for some advice and guidance:

-Single dosing tube with weight? This seems quite easy to do and it’s acceptance into our kitchen will be helped with the removal of a hulking great hopper.

-Add clean sweep cardboard fins to the doser arms and maybe an Easter egg sat in the middle?

-I think I’m going to have to embark on a wiring tweak as it is an automatic. I haven’t found any good guides for this yet. Any link gratefully received.

-Removing the doser entirely and add an (octopus type) funnel? Might be within my skill set but not 100% I could do a neat job making a cover plate.

-What about buying a Mazzer grocery spout and motor cover plate? Is this a daft idea? Would this just hose out too messily? Could it work weighing into the grinder and collecting into a metal cup/cocktail shaker type lid?

-Every twist and turn with espresso seemingly leads to another unfathomably deep rabbit hole so I am going to leave burr options (eg OEM vs SSP) and varying (slowing) rpm and static screen vs clumping for another time.

I’m going to see what I get tomorrow and report back. I may even need to consider a paint job!!

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

You can fit an Auberins timer and pulse switches and turn it into an electronic. Check the forum thread covering this.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Just hunt out the threads on here . If you need new burrs let me know I have a few sets of Major ti burrs

AKA Toffee chips

Clean sweep and the tube for a hopper is a good start.

When you pick up the grinder check if it runs silently without any beans in it. It should just hum. If it makes a racket the bearings are knackered. It a big job to replace them I wouldn’t attempt it.

I’ve done the auber mod on mine as well as the fudge funnel mod. They’re much bigger projects.

I’ve had mine for ages.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Clean sweep and the tube for a hopper is a good start.

When you pick up the grinder check if it runs silently without any beans in it. It should just hum. If it makes a racket the bearings are knackered. It a big job to replace them I wouldn’t attempt it.

I’ve done the auber mod on mine as well as the fudge funnel mod. They’re much bigger projects.

I’ve had mine for ages.

Thanks I think you’re probably right I’ll start that this is where I will start. I just started reading the Auber timer mod and it is a bit beyond me for now (dremel on the Xmas list)

Great tip about silent running. I’ll definitely do this.

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

It was in a bit of a state when I finally got it after frustrating ebay shenanigans involving a wasted 2hr round trip to Essex. I stripped it right down tonight and gave it a good clean. It looks like the first time anyone had showed it any affection. It’s come up really well.

First bonus was finding Mazzer T151a titanium burrs that someone has kindly seasoned for me.

Second bit of good news was noting @ajohn’s post earlier this evening it looks like a 2014 model so it’s hopefully got a good bit of life left in it.

The grinder also has a the shiny lacquered metal appearance rather than the more common silver paint. It’s a bit scuffed but no major dings. I think it looks pretty good. Has anyone any experience using something like tcut on the finish to polish it up?

Planning to try it single dosing with my tamper on top tomorrow before probably having a play with the cardboard clean sweep mod and buying some 60mm diameter perplex tubing and a 58mm rubber lens hood.

Looking forward to my first shots with it. 36d9df490f7ad2b211e09005305e9565.jpg39ea114478bc8ff51458d16fc065ad40.jpg719c4cef1db865a93afd96f35820fde6.jpge16286024098cfa1a2ce3a542d402819.jpg

__

T cut will help, you might want to look at the shrink wrap mod but a funnel is the way to go if you have a Dremel.

have you noticed a difference in the cup taste wise?

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat

Be careful with rubbing down the finish on the chrome models as most of the scratches will only be in clear lacquer

AKA Toffee chips