Gforce

I know I’m doing something stupid and I don’t know what it is...

Hi all, I was hoping I could get a bit of help with something please!

I bought a 2011 Gaggia Classic second hand, and it was working fine at the very beginning. I then ordered a new shower screen holder (brass) and gasket as the originals were looking a little tired / corroded. However, now that I’ve replaced them (correctly I think, but you never know) I’m not getting any water flow at all. The answer may be staring me in the face but I’d rather suffer the online embarrassment than more frustration!

I’ve added the links to the two parts below, and (I think) a video of the issue. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a mil.

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/Mobile/en/Gaggia-Brass-Shower-Plate-Holder-57x14mm---WGA16G1002/m-m-1976.aspx[/url]

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/Mobile/en/Gaggia-Classic-Filter-Holder-Gasket-72x57x85-mm---NG01001/m-m-1968.aspx

I know this might sound do basic but make sure the 2 pipes in the water tank are not curled up or something daft like that

Could be a simple thing like not picking up any water

According to the pump sound, you have a water blockage. It can be the shower screen plate you've changed or as usual the 3-way valve.

BR

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

The reply above is a good suggestion, slight kink / fold in the feed pipe = no water.

Was it working OK before you replaced the dispersion block and seal ?

Did you tip it up or lie it on its back to work on it ?

If you open the steam wand and switch the steam switch to on , do you get water from the steam arm?

Thanks both.

It’s definitely not the tubes, as far as I can see. If I replace the shower screen altogether it might tell me if it’s the 3-way valve then maybe? And if that’s the problem I guess I’ll have to do a lot more reading...

Open the steam valve and you will have flow through it while brew button is pressed. Remove shower screen plate and check if you will have water out of the brew head.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Have you tried taking the shower screen and holder plate off to see if water come out then

If it was working before you changed the shower screen holder and shower screen it could be something to do with that

Take them both off turn the machine on and press to brew see if anything comes out

Steam coming through alright (literally the first time I tried that as I don’t drink cappuccinos / lattés). Took off shower screen, still no flow. Will wait for it to cool a bit and will take off shower screen holder, to check again.

Yes, I had it on its side to replace the parts. Can that damage / upset the machine at all, or any part?

You say you have steam through but can you get hot water as well, let it run to try and get water to flow,

Lying it down does not damage the machine BUT it can disturb the water in the boiler and any scale / sediment.

If you disturb the scale it can get into the pipe that feeds the brew head and on it's way can block the solenoid valve.

If you can get water through the steam arm but not the brew head it is probably scale in the solenoid valve.

I’ve watched the video.

do exactly what you do in the video and then turn the steam wand knob open, have a jug or vessel underneath the wand as I hope a jet of water should come out.

Just to make it perfectly clear, , the power on switch is down (on) the end switch/espresso switch is down(on)

the middle switch, the steam switch is left alone, it is not on,, it is in the up position .

Then, when the machine is making the dull hum and the pump is labouring turn the steam knob anti-clockwise.

let me know if either water pisses out of the steam wand or nothing happens

So I’ve taken the shower screen holder off too, still no water through. That sounds plausible about the scale and solenoid valve. Balls.

i really appreciate the replies.

Right. So I did what you suggested @Jumbo Ratty, and the first thing that I noticed was that water / steam spurted out of the group head, once I turned on the pump / right button. Which I was not expecting. As suggested, the steam / middle switch was off. Then when I turned the steam knob anti clockwise water did indeed piss out. It seems like that’s a good sign, then? (For completeness, once the steam switch is turned on, nothing out of group head when I hit the pump.)

Right.

So I did what you suggested @Jumbo Ratty, and the first thing that I noticed was that water / steam spurted out of the group head, once I turned on the pump / right button. Which I was not expecting. As suggested, the steam / middle switch was off. Then when I turned the steam knob anti clockwise water did indeed piss out. It seems like that’s a good sign, then? (For completeness, once the steam switch is turned on, nothing out of group head when I hit the pump.)

your solenoid is blocked with scale that has become dislodged from the boiler.

Thanks again, appreciate it. At least I know what it is now. I’ll try and read up on what to do next from here.

For those of you who found the first video riveting, here is Chapter 2 of the saga, taking the above suggestion on board.