Agentb

Niche number 20 is wearing away.

Posted (edited)

OK, have had the NZ now for over 6 months, and i've been trying a few different beans which typically live in the 11-18, probably approaching 10kg of use. So i adjust it a little but often.

Noticed today the number 20 where my thumb will rub against, is starting to wear away and is noticably smother (and fainter) than the 30.

I haven't cleaned it with anything apart from th brush now and then.

I'll post a picture over the weekend... and it is still a thing of wonder! :good::good::good:

edit: the weekend has started :)

i-KwJZpDt-L.jpg

It's kind of status badge, how many numbers have you worn off?

Edited by Agentb

Someone else posted about this problem on here somewhere.

Niche need to look at the issue I think.

I noticed exactly the same thing. I'm keeping my thumb clear of the numbers now.

It does appear a little early for the numbers to start rubbing off. Think if I had one I'd be putting a ring of sticky back plastic on sharpish to protect it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

dare I add an observation which as always will not go down well. Out of the 1100 or so owners, this has been reported a couple of times. So, is it down to poor quality control or owner misuse? I am not suggesting intentionally but what else can it be.

Reminds me of an old story of a pension who bought a brand new motor home in the good old US of A. He left the showroom, stuck it on auto control, went in the back to make a cuppa and then successfully sued the manufacturers when it crashed and was destroyed.......because he thought auto control suggested it would drive itself yes, this was the late seventies!).

 You did not get me this time 

This happened before, sorry reminded me of Gaggia

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39544[/ATTACH]

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

;) Can't say that my thumb etc touches it when I adjust. Don't make any effort at all to avoid it touching either.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

dare I add an observation which as always will not go down well. Out of the 1100 or so owners, this has been reported a couple of times. So, is it down to poor quality control or owner misuse?

I can't imagine in what way I could be said to have misused it.

I can't imagine in what way I could be said to have misused it.

Turning the adjustment ring With your thumb on the dial and numbers

Not misuse but numbers waring would be caused by friction , presumably from a finger or thumb.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram

rjw_inc

Count yourself lucky to have numbers! Those early HG-1s didn’t have anything whatsoever!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

I'll bet they won't send you a new number 20 ;)

I remember those letter transfer things we used to get as kids, rub them on or something....sounds like a few stick on numbers are the order of the day or at the very least number sized clear sticky plastic dots as protectors.

Somthing like these, but perhaps smaller

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOBOK-Stickers-Cookies-Envelopes-Scrapbooking/dp/B07PLZQK8H/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1552686393&sr=8-5&keywords=clear+circle+dot+stickers%2C+13mm

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Count yourself lucky to have numbers! Those early HG-1s didn’t have anything whatsoever!

HG-1? Luxury! When I were a lad an' I were lucky enough to snag a coffee bean, I 'ad to roast it on t' fire and grind it wi' my teeth.......

Posted (edited)
dare I add an observation which as always will not go down well. Out of the 1100 or so owners, this has been reported a couple of times. So, is it down to poor quality control or owner misuse? I am not suggesting intentionally but what else can it be.

Reminds me of an old story of a pension who bought a brand new motor home in the good old US of A. He left the showroom, stuck it on auto control, went in the back to make a cuppa and then successfully sued the manufacturers when it crashed and was destroyed.......because he thought auto control suggested it would drive itself yes, this was the late seventies!).

Feel free to say what you please, perhaps you enjoy stirring the pot - your signature suggests so, and that bemuses me, i'll touch on that later.. Normally i'd not consider this worthy of a reply, and please i won't be at all upset if you use this use this link

I have explained how i use the NZ and how it has occurred but if you imagine me deliberately rubbing off number 20 off with an angle grinder or nail-file so i can seek attention in the forum, wonderful. If you have been peeking through the windows of Niche owners and have photographic evidence - better still share it with everyone.

Allow me to share some knowledge, and debunk your anecdotal urban Winnebago legend, as i clearly have triggered a childhood memory you hold dear.

Sorry to say, it's been a lie or urban myth at best, for nearly 50 years, please check here and here

Dare I also make an observation which may not go down well, and a little off topic (but not as far as a Winnebago) but you do bring it in your post, perhaps you might consider your signature, it reminds me of the recent tragic events in Christchurch NZ (interesting coincidence there) and elsewhere. It's a both crass and sadly technically untrue.

Edited by Agentb

I remember those letter transfer things we used to get as kids, rub them on or something....sounds like a few stick on numbers are the order of the day or at the very least number sized clear sticky plastic dots as protectors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOBOK-Stickers-Cookies-Envelopes-Scrapbooking/dp/B07PLZQK8H/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1552686393&sr=8-5&keywords=clear+circle+dot+stickers%2C+13mm

LOL how dare you suggest - pimping a NZ - heretic. Badge of honour i say.

I'm going to ask the Niche team to Email me a "20" in an attachment and then i can safely Photoshop all future photos, and i can be part of the Niche-TwoZero indigogo campaign. A fortune awaits. :good:

Or maybe Niche could be informed and, if it is an ongoing issue , they could look into it and maybe do something about it?

As many many people now own NZ's probably solely due to your review of it and that Niche now use that review in their marketing don't you think that it ill behoves you to be glib about any issues that people report about the product that you are a shill for? You can be considered in no way neutral in this...you lost that privilege when you agreed to write the review and let it be broadcast.

( full disclosure..... I bought a NZ based on reading your review and I am very happy with it... no problems so far )

[quote name='joe']Or maybe Niche could be informed and, if it is an ongoing issue , they could look into it and maybe do something about it? As many many people now own NZ's probably solely due to your review of it and that Niche now use that review in their marketing don't you think that it ill behoves you to be glib about any issues that people report about the product that you are a shill for? You can be considered in no way neutral in this...you lost that privilege when you agreed to write the review and let it be broadcast. ( full disclosure..... I bought a NZ based on reading your review and I am very happy with it... no problems so far )[/QUOTE] I didn't read it as glib at all, and "shill" please @joe check the meaning - saying @DavecUK is a trickster or conman, you really need to think carefully about the consequences of saying that about anyone in a public forum.

Meanwhile back to my beloved Niche, i looked at it this morning and noticed it said FILTER DRIP .

I don't like drips i thought, maybe the Niche is sending me wisdom. :)

So i gave it a little finger rub while pouring my morning Tanzanian Onion

i-hw5B7NH-L.jpg

Now it would have been crass to share my middle finger, so just to confirm it's my index finger :)

i-N6xpjkN-L.jpg

Finally, try taking a photo of the finger you normally take photos with, it is not easy....

Feel free to say what you please, perhaps you enjoy stirring the pot - your signature suggests so, and that bemuses me, i'll touch on that later.. Normally i'd not consider this worthy of a reply, and please i won't be at all upset if you use this use this link

I have explained how i use the NZ and how it has occurred but if you imagine me deliberately rubbing off number 20 off with an angle grinder or nail-file so i can seek attention in the forum, wonderful. If you have been peeking through the windows of Niche owners and have photographic evidence - better still share it with everyone.

Allow me to share some knowledge, and debunk your anecdotal urban Winnebago legend, as i clearly have triggered a childhood memory you hold dear.

Sorry to say, it's been a lie or urban myth at best, for nearly 50 years, please check here and here

Dare I also make an observation which may not go down well, and a little off topic (but not as far as a Winnebago) but you do bring it in your post, perhaps you might consider your signature, it reminds me of the recent tragic events in Christchurch NZ (interesting coincidence there) and elsewhere. It's a both crass and sadly technically untrue.

Oh dear, someone has really spat their dummy out of the pram! Not being a statistician, I understand in probability of the majority. Since the majority have not suffered this problem, then what is the cause. It can only be your methodology. I did say quite clearly it would not be intentional but that aside, perhaps you can eloquently offer another suggestion as to the cause.

As for the rest of your diatribe, fair games. It bothers me not that you leap on the back of a tragic event in New Zealand (strange that is shares the shorter NZ as well) to try and ridicule or criticise me in that ever so popular social media sort of way by appealing to the masses. What is wrong with urban myth? it gives us something to laugh about, so thank you very much for pointing that out to us all. So, to sum up, because I dare to suggest the the fault might be user error, you go into hyperdrive.......maybe it is time to grow up.......and for the record, reply in any way that you like, but I will not comment further on this thread

 You did not get me this time 

I didn't read it as glib at all, and "shill" please @joe check the meaning - saying @DavecUK is a trickster or conman, you really need to think carefully about the consequences of saying that about anyone in a public forum.

Because like me, you have a sense of humour.....I have no idea why numbers are rubbing off on a few grinders. I have not had the issue on the US test grinder in over a year, perhaps I use it differently, perhaps a few only are affected, I really have no idea. You are the 2nd person I have seen mention it and of course, it's not within my gift to do anything about it, fix it or be anything but neutral about it. Presumably you will (or have already) mention it to Niche, because I am sure they would want to know....It may then be they can come up with some quality solutions going forward and even some ideas for any existing owners with the problem.

Thanks for your comments as well because you do get some people making rather unsavoury and ignorant comments on forums....who have no idea about the things I have done in the past, the stuff I refuse to review or absolutely slate and then they never see the light of day, at least in the UK market (I've given up trying to help the poor souls who insist on importing them).. It's also the reason why I do so few reviews now, limiting it to the really interesting products or things I directly use myself

P.S. I actually think it's absolutely not OK for them to make the sort of comments they do and I believe it seriously drags the forum down. I suspect the same person wouldn't want to make the comment face to face to another human being

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I bet they didn't have lovely bar towels either :p

[quote name='Agentb']Feel free to say what you please, perhaps you enjoy stirring the pot - your signature suggests so, and that bemuses me, i'll touch on that later.. Normally i'd not consider this worthy of a reply, and please i won't be at all upset if you use this use this [URL="https://coffeeforums.co.uk/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=5362"]link [/URL] I have explained how i use the NZ and how it has occurred but if you imagine me deliberately rubbing off number 20 off with an angle grinder or nail-file so i can seek attention in the forum, wonderful. If you have been peeking through the windows of Niche owners and have photographic evidence - better still share it with everyone. Allow me to share some knowledge, and debunk your anecdotal urban Winnebago legend, as i clearly have triggered a childhood memory you hold dear. Sorry to say, it's been a lie or urban myth at best, for nearly 50 years, please check [URL="https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20050203/winnebago-driver-case-shows-truth-behind-frivolous-lawsuit-claims"]here [/URL]and [URL="https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cruise-uncontrol/"]here [/URL] Dare I also make an observation which may not go down well, and a little off topic (but not as far as a Winnebago) but you do bring it in your post, perhaps you might consider your signature, it reminds me of the recent tragic events in Christchurch NZ (interesting coincidence there) and elsewhere. It's a both crass and sadly technically untrue.[/QUOTE] Perhaps in real terms Dfk is suggesting you that you need to get a grip of things - in this case the Niche. ;) I might add your keyboard as well but wont. As I mentioned earlier I find it rather hard to see just why some ones fingers or thumbs should rub on the numbers. In my case and I suspect many others I haven't worried about this happening or even thought about it. This crops up so I look how I grasp it -.no chance what so ever of the numbers being rubbed off this way. ;) Maybe @DavecUK should do a video on how to grasp a Niche. John -

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

@ajohn ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3SXJeZzMQ

This thread has turned out to be . . . dare one say it? Gripping

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

This thread has turned out to be . . . dare one say it? Gripping

With lots of twists! :D

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Dare I say it's rubbing off on me

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters