Pompeyexile

Anyone Sous Vide..ing Out There?

Posted (edited)

This retirement malarky has a lot to answer for, as apart from discovering my Smoking/BBQing hanging meat Barrel Cooker, I've now also discovered sous vide cooking.

IT'S CHUFFIN BRILLIANT!

Yes it's more faff than sticking your steak in a pan and frying it or bunging your joint in the oven, but the results in my humble opinion are worth it. Never again will I have a steak under or over cooked. Perfection every time. Pink, moist lamb, succulent pork tenderloin and more.

Check out the YouTube channel 'Sous Vide Everything' and you'll see why.

Anyone else out there using the sous vide way of cooking and if so, what do you think of it?

Oh here's my set-up, total cost £63.99.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39513[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39514[/ATTACH]

Edited by Pompeyexile

Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

I swear by my Anova for every type of meat. I've made steaks, pulled pork, sausages, ribs and chicken breast with it. Salmon turns out perfect in no time as well.

I dabble with sous vide. Favourite thing so far has been 72 hour Asian pigs cheeks served in bao buns

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

I have a sous vide but I don't really use it for steaks. I find it a bit too much faff when you can cook a steak in 5 minutes and nail it with practice and an instant read thermometer. I tend to think having all that time in the pan builds a better flavour. Pre searing and post searing in a pan when sous viding is good, but not as good considering you have to limit the time to prevent over cooking. I don't find the extra steps worth it. Maybe if I had one of those searzall attachments and could get a better sear I'd switch.

If I do something like a lamb/venison rack I always do this in the sous vide. Uneven thicknesses of meat, lots of bones conducting heat, it's harder to nail consistency and I don't cook it often enough. Bung it in at something like ~52 for 2-3 hours with some herbs, sear it in some butter with more herbs and it's perfect.

Eggs are another quick and easy thing to do in the water bath of you want particularly consistency - serious eats has a great post on the effect of temperature and time.

Not got around to doing a multi day braises in the sous vide yet but it's a popular way of doing something like short rib.

72 hour beef ribs 57 degrees .... 8 hours to go.... Ice bath when done, then into the freezer. Heat up for 1.5 hours at 57 degrees then a quick blow torch and it's a restaurant quality meal in a snap on a week night.

Fantastic cooking method...around from when i was a child....yummy!

38431011_H.jpg?identifier=05c5da89af1a92d8b290990620fd3737

Hake-from-bag.jpg

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Sounds like a spin off from a Japanese method of producing perfect boiled eggs - if they did it with eggs they probably did it with other things.

Based on mutterings from Gordon Ramsay who had something in his kitchen to do the same thing. He reckoned that they did use baths.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Sounds like a spin off from a Japanese method of producing perfect boiled eggs - if they did it with eggs they probably did it with other things.

Based on mutterings from Gordon Ramsay who had something in his kitchen to do the same thing. He reckoned that they did use baths.

John

-

Yeah they most probably did it first for eggs. Onsen eggs, named after the baths.

When cooking at 57°, does one need any special vacuum bags?

You can pick up a bag sealer for £30-40 ish and individual BPA free bags or a roll that you can cut whatever sized bags you need from.

I've also just used ziplock bags (Google displacement method) 57 degrees won't denature them, although I think the purpose made bags are better as they're much stronger, much less chance of the bag splitting.

I use vac sealer and vac bags, but 57 itself isn't the problem it's more about the length of time. When I was using zip bags I had one develop a hole 2 days into a 3 day cook which is not what you want! If you're doing a long cook with zip bags, double bag to be on the safe side.

I love sous vide. Especially useful for boozy BBQs, the kind when you might end up cooking later than planned, in the dark.

Also amazing for steaks and ribs.

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

Like Vollbart I just use zip loc bags and use the water displacement method and it works a treat, altough I do have a vacuum sealer I've had for years which I use when freezing meat to prevent freezer burn.

I know for the real good cooks out there who have mastered perfectly how to cook a steak in the frying pan to perfection every time, it probably is a faff. But for someone like me who doesn't cook steak every day or week even, this turns out perfect every time and as the cost of a good quality thick steak aint cheap, I'm happy to take the guesswork and risk out of cooking it right, even if it is a bit more elaborate.

Also did a roast joint last week and again pink, juicey and tender, then seared off to perfection. Worth the effort as far as i'm concerned. Next up a leg of lamb and I might vacuum seal that, just because of the bone.

Yep I guess the cod in Parsley sauce in a bag was using the same method......but it worked and no reason you couldn't do your own using good ingredients and get great results.

Anyway, as with anything it's horses for courses, but for me it's worth it.

Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

i'm gonna Sous Vide a few eggs tonight...I especially like eggs because they come in their own ready made container and SV really quickly.

How-to-Make-Perfect-Hard-Boiled-Eggs-500x400.jpg

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

After your boil in the bag comment I'm not sure whether to take the bait, in case you haven't seen it I found the serious eats post on eggs pretty useful

I must admit I wouldn't bother using sous vide to boil eggs, if only because I actually can boil an egg to a firm white but with a dippy yolk quite well in about 5 to 6 minutes. As I said, for me it's about cooking meat to exactly how I like it perfectly every time, as time and time again I've found the general instructions for a joint of meat i.e. cooking for so many minutes per kilo and so many minutes over at a given oven temperature, or feeling a steak until it's as firm as the base of your thumb muscle depending which finger your touching your thumb with, just isn't dependable. I wish I were proficient enough as a cook to do get it right every time cooking like that, but I'm not.

Popping a bag of meat in a water bath then walking away and getting on with my day is no hastle for me whatsoever. Admittedly for those of us living our lives at a hundred miles per hour (especially if you've kids to consider) or simply can't be arsed then that's fine it won't be for you. The same can be said for many things, baking a quick 40 minute soda bread or taking a day or two over a sourdough. Bunging a joint in the oven for an hour or so, or taking the time to set up your BBQ or smoker/cooker and slow cooking it for 4 hours, it's horses for courses. As with anything that takes time, a little preperation and as long as you haven't got to stand over it you get on with other things whilst it does its thing, I'm all for it.

For me it's the knowing if I spend a few shekels on a decent steak or joint, with my limited cooking skills I won't end up feeding it to the dog. Twice now I've sous vide steak and joints of beef and they are the best I've ever cooked. Next up, a leg of lamb.