Hello all,

I just thought I'd share a post about the wonderful 'North Star Coffee' Shop and Roastery in Leeds.

I live in the city and have been to EVERY coffee shop and this place is the best (in my humble opinion.)

They are conscientious buyers of coffee, excellent roasters and most of all… fantastic coffee makers!

They constantly change their coffees and have a wide variety on offer throughout the year.

They are also always eager to be on the end of a phone to answer any/all questions about coffee and coffee making.

This sounds like I work for them. I don't. They are just excellent and I am sure that some of you may visit Leeds at some point and you should definitely make a little trip to North Star for a coffee or two.

I have been to North Star for the first time recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I take it you've tried the other more well known shops such as 200 degrees and Laynes. But have you tried Kapow? It's a tiny shop in the city centre, a few seating places but I usually get a take away. For me, their flat white was a notch or two above north star.

LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

I bought my Linea Mini through them and can honestly say it's some of the best service I've ever had. Massive thumbs up for these guys from me!

La Marzocco Linea Mini, Compak R120

I am well impressed with their beans - we’ve had some superb stuff recently. And a trip to their cafe is a treat - there then the Royal Armouries, then back to NS. Perfect!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Yep they have absolutely nailed some of their roasts recently, and ramped up on what I have had from them previously.

That said I think I have had their coffee brewed better than they do it themselves at an alternative venue in Leeds; a real quirky spot it has to be said - The Union Coffee House on Great George Street, worth a visit if you don't mind the 'second hand furniture emporium' feel to the place. Last few times I called in there were various North Star offerings. Possibly the smaller footfall they have means they don't have to turn out so much as quickly as they do in Leeds Dock and can focus more on delivering the quality.

Ive always ordered my beans from North Star! Cracking coffee, brilliant service and great delivery!

I've been having some trouble taming the sour notes in their huye mountain :/

I've been having some trouble taming the sour notes in their huye mountain :/

Go long for espresso on this one .

Pulled a few really lovely delicate shots at close to 1:3

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram

rjw_inc

Go long for espresso on this one .

Pulled a few really lovely delicate shots at close to 1:3

Thanks will try it. I did try at 1:2.5 and although it was a bit more drinkable than 1:2 it still wasn't that enjoyable.

Will try a 17g dose at 1:3, hopefully I'll be able to get 51grams out of the pull.

Time wise don't be afraid to push it a little . Grind finer , ore infuse a little bit more , perhaps ten seconds, don't be afraid to push the shot time over 40 seconds

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram

rjw_inc

Yes I have been doing this as the courser grind was borderline undrinkable. 10-12 seconds pre-infusion. Total shot time of about 44 seconds on the last shot I made from them yesterday.

I'll go a touch courser tonight to try and get 1:3 in around the same time

I tried a 1:3 ratio this morning. 45ish seconds to get 51grams out. Pre-infusion took about 11 seconds. Made a flat white with it. So first sip, sour. No joy I thought. But then the sourness went away and the coffee tasted amazing from the second sip onwards. I'm terrible at describing how things taste so I won't attempt it, but it was really good! Thanks @Mrboots2u

Kapow, North Star and Laynes are my favourite. Mrs Arthur on union street is pretty good too!